Talk

Advanced search

Black bra under white silk top?

(45 Posts)
SwearySwearyQuiteContrary Sat 06-Jun-15 10:03:53

Is it sexy and cool (as the mags would have me believe) or "obvious and trashy" (as opined by the ladies on ask yahoo)? Have no idea whether it is still an "absolutely not!" in the real world.

SoldierBear Sat 06-Jun-15 10:07:56

Definitely not sexy or cool.
Makes the wearer look like they have got dressed in the dark
Unless you are on a night out in one of the, errr "more exuberant" holiday destinations then it's a look to be avoided.

KingTut Sat 06-Jun-15 10:10:11

If you wear a blazer over and take it off at home then it's ok.

Saurus72 Sat 06-Jun-15 11:40:10

I had a work meeting with an external consultancy who were doing a project for us, and was astounded that one of the women, early 20s, rocked up in black bra/white sheer top (polyester not silk, to add to the classiness). Definitely no.

deepdarkwood Sat 06-Jun-15 11:46:39

Well, maybe I have no class, I think it does look cool and sexy on cool, sexy people with serious attitude - you've got to have gumption to carry it off, imo. I wouldn't - but I have friends who I totally think could.

But not at work - because cool and sexy isn't what anyone should really be trying to project in a proper job, surely?

Evening out - hell, why not.

mrstweefromtweesville Sat 06-Jun-15 11:48:21

If the rest of your clothes are black and sexy, and the blouse is fairly well unbuttoned, you'll get away with it. You will need to 'think sex' all the time, unless sexy is your usual demeanour.

UnsolvedMystery Sat 06-Jun-15 12:06:17

No amount of gumption is going to make it look good!

Bannerstaying Sat 06-Jun-15 12:08:49

Obvious and trashy or you got dressed in a rush and probably didn't have time to wash either.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Sat 06-Jun-15 12:14:11

If you're a serious foxy chick you could probably pull it off - but never in a work environment

Would Gillian Anderson have looked so hot in her silk blouses in The Fall with a black bra showing through? Exactly.

Mind you, plain black is better than patterned...

Darkchocsprinkles Sat 06-Jun-15 12:16:26

Like this??

stonelog Sat 06-Jun-15 12:18:06

Black is better than white. If you're going to any effort not to make your bra show through then it should be nude coloured!

SinglePringle Sat 06-Jun-15 12:27:57

Black skinny jeans, black heels, black bra, white / cream silk blouse can look amazing for evening.

Make up needs to be minimal (but a red lip is allowed) and hair undone. Channel Kate Moss or Chrissie Hynde. Amazing.

DialsMavis Sat 06-Jun-15 12:32:57

On naturally classy people I think it looks good. I'm a bit rough and would awful.

Selks Sat 06-Jun-15 12:38:20

Wow, this is a look? I always thought people had their bra showing by accident, rather like polka dot knickers showing through the arse of flimsy leggings confused

cuntycowfacemonkey Sat 06-Jun-15 12:49:49

It just reminds me of being 15 again and all the "cool" girls used to do it at school. I do think you would have to be super trendy and only ever a night time evening out thing but even then I'm not so sure

LIZS Sat 06-Jun-15 12:51:22

You need to be under 20, skinny and sophisticated to pull this off.

CatherineOfAbdomen Sat 06-Jun-15 12:55:01

"I'm a bit rough and ould look awful" Oh that me laugh!
It's a no from me too.

SpecificOcean Sat 06-Jun-15 13:55:49

I like it. Definitely not for work though.

Greengardenpixie Sat 06-Jun-15 13:59:16

looks trashy its UNDER wear. shouldnt be seen.

Sallyingforth Sat 06-Jun-15 14:01:15

Just leave the bra off. Sorted! smile

BreadmakerFan Sat 06-Jun-15 14:05:09

Not sexy. Not cool.
Tacky and makes the wearer look like a twat who fancies themselves.

BreadmakerFan Sat 06-Jun-15 14:06:59

A black bra under a white see through top is definitely NOT better than a white bra showing hmm.

SoldierBear Sat 06-Jun-15 14:33:45

Black skinny jeans, black heels, black bra, white / cream silk blouse can look amazing for evening. Make up needs to be minimal (but a red lip is allowed) and hair undone. Channel Kate Moss or Chrissie Hynde. Amazing.

"A red lip is allowed". Just the one red lip then? What is the penalty for two?

had to snigger at the thought of Chrissie Hynde having "minimal makeup". That would be the same Chrissie Hynde whose trademark was black eyeliner?

What genius to have matching bra and shoes though!

UnsolvedMystery Sat 06-Jun-15 17:37:10

It just screams: 'hey everyone, look at my bra'

Make up needs to be minimal (but a red lip is allowed) and hair undone.
Hideously pretentious grin

Chocolatewaterfalls Sat 06-Jun-15 17:41:14

Saurus72 I have had that experience except it was red and the "advisor" was literally falling out of her top !! Classy (not)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now