Extremely sensitive/reactive(no fragrance,alcohol etc), dehydrated, prone to redness and spots

(4 Posts)
Indecisivejo Sat 06-Jun-15 09:07:46

Anyone have this skin type? What products do you use?

FrugalFashionista Sat 06-Jun-15 10:57:47

Has your skin always been like this? Or is this recent? If recent, it can be a symptom of a damaged barrier. My skin was like that in early 2014, I had overcleansed and accidentally overused BHAs, stripped my skin of its protective lipids and triggered perioral exczema. My skin was red, irritated, temperamental, flaky, sore, did not tolerate anything and I had itchy pimples and some flaking. I stopped everything for a while, and slowly, over a period of months, the lipid barrier recovered on its own and my skin became relatively normal. Now I can use products that were unthinkable a year ago.

If your skin has always been very tricky, perhaps a consultation with a dermatologist would help? In my experince DIY skincare is only useful for mild problems. Atopic dermatitis, acne and problems on the rosacea spectrum are easier to deal with after consulting with a professional as you will have a better idea what the underlying problem might be. My underlying issue is mild rosacea (in remission atm), perioral is a related problem, and I have been acne-prone since puberty although my acne has been mild. My family members have similar issues, everyone on mother's side seems to get erythematoteleangiectacic rosacea when they get older. Now that I know that I am vulnerable too, I can do certain things to protect myself - barrier support, good sun protection, avoiding anything abrasive, and not going overboard with cleansing and products.

BradleyCooperwillbemine Sat 06-Jun-15 11:12:07

Yes, my skin sounds exactly like yours. I had been using Liz Earle HC cleanser and Olay 7 signs of aging for many many years with no problem and then wham 18 months ago my skin went to pot. After much experimentation, I have stumbled upon Boots own Simply Sensitive cleanser and moisturiser (about £2.79 each!) and for the first time in 18 months I have a spot free chin and supersoft skin. The difference is amazing. Its worth a try, especially as it is so cheap.

QueenofLouisiana Sun 07-Jun-15 20:51:47

May be worth getting your GP to check for acne rosacea. This is what I have and while knowing that doesn't make it go away, it helps to know! When things are really bad I take antibiotics to help. There is a very helpful rosacea group on FB if you hunt for it (will have on English in brackets).

I wash with emollient cream (like E45) and use a very simple moisturiser. I use Boots BB cream to help cover redness. I can't use several of the big brands- including Bare Minerals, unfortunately.

I avoid excess alcohol (should give it up really), spicy food and heat (warm holidays in winter, not hot holidays in summer). I try to get enough sleep and drink water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now