Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding dress for wedding - any ideas?

(22 Posts)
SolemnStollen Fri 05-Jun-15 19:26:20

I have several weddings coming up (different friendship groups so it doesn't matter if I wear the same thing!) but am struggling to find a non-frumpy dress suitable for frequent breastfeeding ... Any ideas? I am tall & slim & generally prefer tailored / fitted dresses rather than floaty but I am struggling to find something. I don't mind the BFing not being particularly discreet but just need something with easy access! Budget is high street rather than high end. Thank you!

Oly4 Fri 05-Jun-15 19:49:52

I've just bought this which I can breastfeed in due to the wrap
Style. Doesn't look particularly stylish online but is nice wrap Jersey and could be dressed up with a yellow leather belt and sandals (that's how I'd style it anyway). Worth trying and seeing how easy you find it for breastfeeding

Oly4 Fri 05-Jun-15 19:50:30

m.warehouse.co.uk/stripe-wrap-dress/all/warehouse/fcp-product/02419136

BlacknWhitePanda Fri 05-Jun-15 19:53:05

For a wedding recently I brought a dress I liked that had a zip that opened on one side, then I added a zip onto the other side so both sides had zips.
This depends on if you know anyone or I you are good at sewing!

pickwickcrocus Fri 05-Jun-15 19:59:52

Joules often have lovely wrap jersey dresses which are easy to breastfeed in, I have a couple for the summer and keep an eye out on eBay and try to pick them up cheaply if I can. They aren't the kind of thing I would normally wear to a wedding but like a pp said, they can be dressed up and they are quite flattering.

nottheOP Fri 05-Jun-15 20:01:30

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_046020414245_-1

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_33678+07278083_-1

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_33678+07265555_-1

SASASI Fri 05-Jun-15 20:33:07

Babes with babies do lovely breadtfeeding dresses. I got one there for a wedding last year.

Fermin Fri 05-Jun-15 21:29:23

I've got a Stop Staring wiggle dress for a wedding in a few weeks shopboutiquenoir.com/Stop-Staring-Billion-Dollar-Baby-Dress-Sea-Foam-Green
The fit is amazing, lots of folds to disguise any lumpy bits but incredible fabric that sucks you in too. There is so much stretch in the fabric that it's very easy to just pull down the front of the dress to access for feeding although when practicing, I've found it easier to pop down the cap sleeve for each side I'm feeding on too. I got mine off eBay and imported from US. Still far cheaper than stockists over here, even with customs charge.

Fermin Fri 05-Jun-15 21:32:20

Sorry, just seen budget is high street. I think I paid about £90 for it in total which is usually a lot
more than I'd normally pay.

LaceyLee Fri 05-Jun-15 21:37:01

I breast fed at a wedding recently and wore a top and skirt, it was a midi length a line scuba material skirt with a pattern and a top with lace. Had a jacket and heels and definitely looked wedding appropriate and was able to feed easily.
I've also worn a shirt dress to another event although the one I has was a bit floaty and its hard to find any others that are smart enough I've found

BabyNeedsChocolate Sat 06-Jun-15 03:26:41

I was shopping for the same thing today and Phase Eight seemed to have the best options for boob access - quite a few smart but stretchy dresses with wrap style tops and this one, which pulled down very easily (sorry, not any good at doing hyperlinks on my phone).

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-julia-floral-cowl-neck-maxi-dress-multi/p1961318?sku=234410277&kpid=234410277&s_kenid=138209b4-53db-43d6-abfd-43c60c15535c&s_kwcid=403x137443&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=234410277#page_loaded

The Bettina Blossom Dress (fitted but made of stretchy jersey) and Jane Bottom Printed Maxi also worked - actually, looking at the Phase Eight website, there are loads which are the right cut and material, but sufficiently formal for a wedding. I was in quite a small shop so only tried on a few.

The maxi dresses also did a good job of hiding my post-pregnancy tummy/general flab - the above-the-knee jersey ones are more figure hugging but would flatter someone tall and slim.

HeyMicky Sat 06-Jun-15 03:37:50

I just wore this to my SIL's wedding. Crossover front so was easy to get my boobs out, and not bloody jersey so hid a multitude of sins. And half price grin

PontypineNumber9 Sat 06-Jun-15 08:43:05

I came on here to recommend Phase Eight. I've worn this to a couple of weddings recently and it's really easy to feed in - m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-tiffany-wrap-dress-iris/p1927331#page_loaded
I don't agree with the negative and it's surprisingly flattering on my post baby body.

PontypineNumber9 Sat 06-Jun-15 08:43:40

Sorry - should say negative review!

slithytove Sat 06-Jun-15 08:53:22

Micky can I please ask what size you are for that phase 8 dress?

Highlandbird Sat 06-Jun-15 08:56:25

I wore a halter maxi dress to a wedding couple of years ago....could just loosen the halter neck enough to let one side down for feeding! I'm not very stylish though so don't know if it was a good look but wore it with some blingy gladiator sandals and chunky turquoise jewellery.

HeyMicky Sat 06-Jun-15 11:24:35

I wore a 14 (5'6" and it hit just below the knee). They're pretty true to size.

The wrap neckline makes it quite low cut so you might need to pin it to hide a heavy duty nursing bra

geekaMaxima Sat 06-Jun-15 12:01:42

I like bf dresses that look like normal dresses, and I'm not fond of floaty frilly things... Plus I'm also tall and slim, so find many bf dresses look way too short on me.

So it's a challenge to shop, but I do like these:

http://shop.boobdesign.com/en/product/656/maternity-dress-nursing-dress-candy

http://www.izzysmum.co.uk/p/MV-SDTW/sophia-nursing-dress/#.VXLSR9m9LTo

geekaMaxima Sat 06-Jun-15 12:02:36

Gah, link fail, sorry:

shop.boobdesign.com/en/product/656/maternity-dress-nursing-dress-candy

www.izzysmum.co.uk/p/MV-SDTW/sophia-nursing-dress/#.VXLSR9m9LTo

lebkucken Sat 06-Jun-15 12:41:08

I'm breastfeeding this summer and also have a couple of weddings to go to. I am wearing skirts from Reiss (will reuse for work later) with a Uniqlo silk rank top with vest underneath for the pull up/pull down manoeuvre. Pashmina on top for warmth/privacy.

SolemnStollen Sun 07-Jun-15 19:24:29

Thanks all, it looks like Phase Eight might be a good bet, & I like the Izzysmum Sophia dress too. I didn't know Uniqlo did silk tops too, I will look at those as I am permanently hot with vest tops underneath!

Twinklestar2 Sun 07-Jun-15 19:28:45

Seraphine do breast feeding dresses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now