Talk

Advanced search

I need some help to clean up a pair of pale green satin sandals

(12 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 05-Jun-15 14:19:38

They're grubby from lots of wear when I went out pubbing/clubbing and generally wore heels every day. Plus being in the garage for the past year and hardly touched for 5 before that sad

Any tips for cleaning them up?

I did debate a cool, delicate, machine cycle inside a pillow case but thought better of it because of the decoration at the back of the heel.

squizita Fri 05-Jun-15 14:47:05

Colour oxy and a soft child toothbrush or cotton wool + patience! Or vodka + cotton wool then wipe with water in both cases.
Dry stuffed with newspaper somewhere warm but not glaring bright to avoid fading.

NOT the machine!! shock

tindel Fri 05-Jun-15 14:47:39

If it's just on the material, you can mix bicarb of soda with water and scrub with an old toothbrush. I did this on ivory satin shoes and it worked a treat

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 05-Jun-15 14:49:20

Definitely not the machine, they could fall to bits! shock

Agree with the bicarb suggestion, or you could even just try washing up liquid dabbed on, rubbed in and rinsed off, depending on the nature of the stains.

lucysmam Fri 05-Jun-15 14:51:53

grin ok, I'll back away from the machine!

lucysmam Fri 05-Jun-15 14:53:46

I have bicarb & can pick up a soft toothbrush in town tomorrow.

My washing up liquid is apple green - it won't colour them, will it?

They're grubby from wearing them rather than stained if you get me. Actually, really grubby blush I've got them on at the mo.

squizita Fri 05-Jun-15 14:54:01

Come to think of it it's probably just the soda in the oxy working, so my suggestion is needlessly expensive if you don't happen to have some colours oxy for your sweaty dh if you're me lying around! grin

lucysmam Fri 05-Jun-15 14:54:56

I may take off the diamante bits and stitch them back in place when they're clean, no chance I'll loose any sparkly stones doing that.

lucysmam Sat 06-Jun-15 15:59:09

Thanks for your help yesterday, they've come up really clean - except the part where my toes go blush

The water I was using was disgusting though so I wonder if a soak in some detergent might help shift the stains on the toes maybe.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 06-Jun-15 16:30:09

The toe stains may have an element of oil in them from your skin, so yes, rubbing in some detergent and leaving it for a while before rinsing off might help - but don't soak the shoe itself, obviously, as most shoes are held together with glue and my experience of fabric shoes is that the glue doesn't hold together too well when soaked!

lucysmam Sat 06-Jun-15 16:41:48

Thank-you, I've put them out so the heel and straps dry for now. Will have another go at the toe bits tomorrow with some detergent.

The rest of them is looking hardly worn now! I'm really pleased smile

Dowser Sat 06-Jun-15 19:43:34

You beat me too it.

I would have tried a baby wipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now