Talk

Advanced search

Dress for work dinner?

(21 Posts)
BillyBigchin Fri 05-Jun-15 07:50:37

Ladies I need your help.

I've been invited to a posh dinner with the top dogs in work and I want to look fabulous! It's an official recognition thing rather than a night out; I'm the only one out of my team that has been invited so I'm feeling proud and nervous and want to build on the good impression!

I'm trying to lose weight so don't want to spend too much, about £50 is my limit. Don't care about colour. Big boobs but my belly is really my problem area - have to wear a 16/18 when everywhere else would fit a 14.

I'd quite like a Grecian style maxi but pretty sure it wouldn't suit me! Not sure if cocktail length might be more appropriate. It's not black tie.

Can you help? I'll accessorise around whatever I buy - probably won't need shoes though as I have a very health stock to draw on blush

BillyBigchin Fri 05-Jun-15 07:56:04

Actually I tell a lie. I don't like brown or khaki and would prefer not black. I'm white with brown curly hair and hazel eyes.

dingit Fri 05-Jun-15 08:01:08

If you want a dress to fit your boobs have a look at pepperberry. Not sure they have many maxis though.

BillyBigchin Fri 05-Jun-15 09:45:46

I proper love this:

Warehouse jumpsuit

Might go into town and try it on tomorrow.

polyhymnia Fri 05-Jun-15 11:44:37

Not very hpful but just to say I'd steer clear of a maxi particularly if it's not black tie.
Presumably on venue it's in a private room at ? a posh hotel?

hellsbellsmelons Fri 05-Jun-15 13:40:26

A wrap dress maybe?

Serendipitymuppet Fri 05-Jun-15 13:43:23

I quite like the jumpsuit - but it might be a bit 'busty' for a works dinner...I've got large norks and I'd fall out of it.

polyhymnia Fri 05-Jun-15 14:53:40

Again perhaps I'm a bit wimpish but I would go for something 'safer' than a jumpsuit for an occasion like that when you want to be taken seriously as well as look good.

Doesn't have to be boring, but understated stylishness seems the right note to hit. Difficult to advise on exact dress without knowing more about the venue. Also useful if you have an idea of how senior women in your organisation dress.

SheHasAWildHeart Fri 05-Jun-15 15:00:37

Different take on a maxi - could look really elegant with the right accessories www.atterleyroad.com/black-side-pleat-dress-1.html

BillyBigchin Fri 05-Jun-15 15:09:28

The venue is here. The email doesn't tell me anything about dress code so I admit I'm assuming it's not black tie. I agree polyhymnia understated stylishness is what I always want to be - not sure I hit it that often!

Senior women - not really sure. The one's I have had direct contact with wear corporate wear (it's a bank, but these are not customer facing people).

I do like this but it's bodycon so I'd have to wear control underwear which I'd rather not. But I'm kind of leaning towards being a bit more 'safe' I think and might just get black.

I really like that SheHas.

BillyBigchin Fri 05-Jun-15 15:14:30

TBH, as much as I love maxi dresses they don't really suit me. I'm too big and short!

Serendipitymuppet Fri 05-Jun-15 15:15:57

My advice was to wear something that you aren't continually hitching up or having to fiddle with. SheHas's suggestion looks lovely. But you don't have to go for black, doesn't have to be dull just not faffy.

polyhymnia Fri 05-Jun-15 15:22:38

I think you are right to avoid maxi and also perhaps asymmetric hems like the one on the otherwise lovely Atterley Rd dress. And anything, as said, that needs constant adjustment or is uncomfortable or necessitates uncomfortable underwear. You need something you can put on with confidence and then forget.

BillyBigchin Sat 06-Jun-15 17:22:16

Still shopping but feeling really down about how I look now sad.

In general I'm pretty confident but you know when every single thing you like looks like shit? Yeah, that's me today.

Just making myself feel better with a coffee and cake hmm

BillyBigchin Sat 06-Jun-15 21:31:44

I bought this www.johnlewis.com/collection-by-john-lewis-cotton-sateen-dress-aqua/p1811509 in the end. It looks ok - but as ever my huge gut spoils the view!

Oh well, two weeks to work hard to try and diminish it....

Drquin Sat 06-Jun-15 21:39:53

I bought the "Scarlett & Jo Green Wrap Front Dress" recently - and love it, I'd probably be similar proportions to you!
I've never posted a link and have had too many wines to get it right ... But Google the description and you should get it!

hellsbellsmelons Mon 08-Jun-15 09:23:52

That's lovely Billy
Just cut out carbs and alcohol for a week and the belly will soon shrink.
(I wish I could take my own advice!!)

DJThreeDog Mon 08-Jun-15 11:39:54

I'm going to - and I've got back on the exercise wagon as well. I am making an effort to lose weight but unfortunately that effort has waned slightly over the past 3 weeks or so blush

I've just found out it's smart casual so I think that'll be fine. I actually bought the jumpsuit as well as it looks really nice on, I might take both and make a decision there. It's a lot less booby on than you might think smile

DJThreeDog Mon 08-Jun-15 11:44:05

Oh FGS.

That's me, BillyBigchin. I keep spoiling my name changes going back and answering my own posts!

OneHandFlapping Mon 08-Jun-15 20:03:05

That's a lovely dress Billy/DJ, and looks perfect for the occasion.

Jumpsuit is lovely too.

Are you going to wear killer heels?

DJThreeDog Mon 08-Jun-15 20:45:11

Absolutely! grin I've got some lovely strappy sandals in a sort of pewter which I think will look nice with either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now