Talk

Advanced search

Buying better quality clothing

(16 Posts)
helpmefindtheway Thu 04-Jun-15 21:50:29

Do you think that clothes which cost a little bit more (I'm looking at maternity wear so something like Seraphine or non maternity equivalent) look the same or better quality than run of the mill stuff (eg new look / H&M etc)?

I can't decide whether to continue buying cheap clothes or to start investing in more expensive. But does more expensive equal better quality?

I'm feeling so down about my appearance and want to boost myself but don't want to go spending money unnecessarily.

Currently 5 months pg and feeling massive.

wiltingfast Thu 04-Jun-15 22:06:01

I do think they look better and wear better for longer. Heavier, better material and cut.

You can't assume it though, you have to eyeball carefully what you're buying.

And you won't be pg forever! So not worth spending a lot on it. A few pieces tho, sure smile

WutheringTights Thu 04-Jun-15 22:23:18

Depends on the item. My H&M breastfeeding vests are going strong after two babies (worn 2-3 times a week for a cumulative total of around 18 months so far) but a H&M maternity dress was looking bobbly and scruffy after 5/6 wears. I have to be very smart for work so went for Isabella Oliver stuff as they were the only maternity clothes I could find that were really smart enough.

mewkins Fri 05-Jun-15 07:12:55

Depends on the fabric and with maternity wear I would either buy cheap or buy off ebay. Save your money for after the baby.

BikeRunSki Fri 05-Jun-15 07:16:34

Yes, in general I think they do. I have been buying a lot from Toast sales in the last couple of years for this reason. Not sure I would make the investment if I were pg though.

something2say Fri 05-Jun-15 07:50:47

I can't speak about maternity wear unfortunately.

But on the subject of better clothing, yes.

I think that more expensive clothes are better where possible. I have my share of long sleeved cheapie tops etc, but to be honest they are average. Average cut, average shade of colour. Doesn't please me to wear them particularly. They are more like staples and pyjamas and under garments.

What I notice about my better clothes is that they have longer sleeves which looks better, the fabric does not twist when they are washed, they are long enough in the body etc. The nicer things are cut amazingly and are really different.

Clothes were an issue for me when I was younger. I was brought up square and not allowed to choose. Then I couldn't choose because I didn't know who I was. But I used to look at other women and be envious of how they looked like the people they are; their clothes defined them in some way and I wanted that.

What I then did was, thro trial and error, found some styles that suited me, suited my body shape and didn't irritate me when I wore them. I then found clothing labels that suited, certain shops I only really go to. When I go in other shops, I can look at the clothes and think, 'just not for me.'

I work for a charity tho and to say we are underpaid is putting it mildly. Therefore, to achieve what I want with my clothes, I buy most of them second hand. Ebay the label and bid. £100 dress should be yours for £25. A good quality dress with a great fabric and cut is worth £25 and more. And they last, and you are always pleased to put them on.

I also go to dress agencies - second hand shops for more expensive clothes. The people that run them only take certain clothes. I get loads from there eg all of my cashmere jumpers, some amazing leather bags, a suede jacket, silk cami, a 5 layered skirt in olive green, 3 layers of which are netting etc.

Why not have a look on ebay at the pregnancy labels you like the sound of, buy yourself something in your size for peanuts, give it a good wash when you get it and then see how you get on with that? See how it drapes, feels to sit in, the neckline and arm length etc? I bet they beat the cheapie stuff hands down and they don't have to cost the earth xxx

Hope you feel better soon.

I've got 3 ebay bids ripening for Sunday!

Turquoiseblue Fri 05-Jun-15 07:58:25

I think quality varies and you have to check the items you buy. It s often about material weight and content more so than the price tag.
In terms of maternity clothes though- your body changes so much I think it s a good idea not to overly invest (unless you plan another pregnancy shortly afterwards).
I have stuff from IO and seraphine - that have lasted to my third pregnancy with washing and regular wear during the pregnancies. I also have a top and cardi from both labels I have had to bin because they were literally falling apart and baggy after a few wears.

Agree with PP it's often about fabric and in this case expensive doesn't always mean good. See Whistles, Baukjen etc for places charging a lot for polyester or poly viscose blends.

I have a few cotton vests from H and M that look great years on. In general though I'd rather buy less but better quality.

I love Jaeger at the moment - beautiful quality clothes and cut really well. The outlet stores are great and the outlet section of the website good too. I recently got a pure silk t shirt for £25 which is just beautiful to wear. (And washable)

On maternity wear - I bought a lovely wool camel coloured mat coat from IO and it's still going strong and very wearable 4 years on. It's a swing cut so it works on non pregnant me.

chanie44 Fri 05-Jun-15 08:21:35

There was a really good article I can across from another thread on the same subject.

The article spoke about checking the material, the stitching, pockets etc for quality. the cheaper shops can do quality items, they just make less profit on them. Likewise expensive shops can do polyester because it's cheap and they have huge mark ups on them.

Personally I don't think it's worth spending much on maternity wear (you are halfway through your pregnancy) but you could spend on hair and make up if you want to look and feel better.

Coastingit Fri 05-Jun-15 09:44:37

Please don't spend a lot on maternity clothes! I just gave birth a month early and have things I've barely or never worn blush

H and M are brilliant for cheap but good maternity clothes. I do have a couple of Isabella Oliver stretchy ruched tops (bought in sale) which are good for layering, but combine with H and M maternity jeans for £20ish and a non maternity cardigan or whatever. Not every item has to be maternity specific. I think when pregnant, just have good base things like maternity jeans and then just keep buying cheap stuff to get the fashion hit. It won't fit you in a few weeks so save your cash for afterwards.

But in general I think buying less often, better quality is best. If only because it makes you consider each purchase more carefully and so less likely to make mistakes. I'm terrible for impulse buying. Remember that 3 cheap tops at £15 each could have bought you a decent one for £45.

The main things when shopping in cheap shops are colour and fabric - choose plain black or white, or colours that really suit you. And avoid acrylic like the plague. Cotton tops and dresses can be found at all price points and no point spending £££ on them, lots of lovely white cotton things in New Look and similar atm.

helpmefindtheway Fri 05-Jun-15 10:44:56

This is all so helpful, thank you so much!!

I will make a start looking at the brands I like on eBay and go from there.

I have reached the age of 34 and still don't have a clue of what suits me or what shops I like. I need to change this as I'm sure it is such a big factor in me feeling generally rubbish about myself.

squizita Fri 05-Jun-15 10:45:49

Find a Farah mum and baby shop or similar if you want posh maternity.

It is often hardly worn.

I mixed H&M stuff with 2nd hand. I had a designer ball dress I got for £20 and wore to a prom (chaperone!) and 2 weddings. grin

burnishedsilver Fri 05-Jun-15 11:02:54

Better quality will last longer and look better. Paying more isn't a guarantee of better quality. I think the key is to shop around and be prepared to pay a bit more if necessary.

Oly4 Fri 05-Jun-15 13:58:30

I think better quality is cut better etc etc. my
More
Expensive clothes do last
However, I never spend a load on maternity clothes cos I just look, well, pregnant!! My Gap maternity clothes are still going strong after two pregnancies. I think they'll see me through a third! And a bargain when there's a 30% off code

something2say Fri 05-Jun-15 21:13:21

Do you know what shape you are?
What colours do you like wearing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now