Talk

Advanced search

Help me downsize my holiday toiletry bag, please.

(18 Posts)
Justmuddlingalong Tue 02-Jun-15 12:24:42

I always take too many toiletry products when I go on my summer holidays. What are your best tips and multi use products? Apart from the basics what products do I really need? I'm in my 40's and on a bit of a budget.

yearofthegoat Tue 02-Jun-15 12:30:18

Are you staying in a hotel or a tent? Do you wear makeup or not? I think we need some more information...

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 02-Jun-15 12:35:12

I love using up all my samples when I'm on holiday. Unfortunately this means I take everything you can think of (although in travel size).
- shampoo
- conditioner
- dry shampoo
- deep conditioned
- face wash
- toner
- primer
- moisturiser
- face scrub
- shower gel
- body lotion
- body scrub
- tooth brush/paste

All fits in medium sized bag and I throw out/recycle bottles/packaging as I work my way through, so toiletry bag is nearly empty by the time I come back smile

MrsSnow Tue 02-Jun-15 12:37:01

Depending on how long you are going away for I downsize the size of items. That way when something finishes, you throw it away and gain space in your bag for something to bring back.

Alternatively if you are staying in one place for a long time I'd take travel size out and just buy there.

nottheOP Tue 02-Jun-15 12:38:23

Shampoo
Conditioner
Shower gel
Face wash
Facial moisturiser
Body moisturiser if you use it
Eye make up remover pads
Any hair stuff you use
Anti-perspirant
Toothbrush/paste (colgate do a mouthwash and toothpaste all in one)

Make up

BB cream
Powder
Blusher
One eyeshadow pallette
Eyeliner
Mascara
One lippy
Lypsyl

Justmuddlingalong Tue 02-Jun-15 12:38:58

Sorry. It's usually 2 weeks in Europe in a hotel. Beach, sightseeing, eating out. I wear a bit of make-up at night. Normal skin on face. Dry, slightly wrinkly skin on body.

nottheOP Tue 02-Jun-15 12:39:02

You can also just buy there and leave it. Saves a tonne of room.

OOAOML Tue 02-Jun-15 12:50:29

Are you happy to use hotel shampoo/shower gel? Do you need a particular moisturiser/body lotion or would an SPF one do for moisturiser and sun screen? Do you use brands that would be easy to buy at your destination?

angemorange Tue 02-Jun-15 12:52:44

Are you on your own or with DCs? I take Simple Shower Gel & Shampoo so whole family can use it and raid the Pound Shop for shower puffs, wipes etc that I can leave behind us. Main outlay is sun cream/aftersun and I usually find some offers on those close to summer. Apart from that I take Anti perspirant, moisturiser, toothpaste and make up bag. I usually take an anti mozzie spray too as they love me!

Justmuddlingalong Tue 02-Jun-15 13:08:36

Just DP and I this year. Sunscreen already bought. Travel size pots and bottles makes sense. I just feel that the weight of all the toiletries is crazy. There is only a small local shop where we are going this year, so would prefer to buy before we go. My hair is rubbish, I would definitely take my own shampoo and conditioner. I really need to be ruthless. It's only 2 weeks ffs.

measles64 Tue 02-Jun-15 13:18:24

Last year bought travel sizes from Superdrug they were like a pick and mix. You can also buy travel bottles from Boots and decant.
www.superdrug.com/Travel-Size-Products/c/travel-size-minis?utm_source=SDweb&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=holiday-travelsize

hellsbellsmelons Tue 02-Jun-15 13:18:30

Shampoo - use for hair, handwash and shower gel
Conditioner - use as conditioner and as shaving gel for legs etc...
Make up wipes - to remove make up (decent ones though)
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Shower cap
Razor
Deodorant

Do you do anything with your hair? Straighten? If so then you will need a heat protect product.

E45 cream as moisturiser for your entire body and face (if skin not sensitive), feet etc...

I always take Ambre Solaire tan maintainer - brilliant for keeping that tan or topping it up, if you like your tan that is of course. Moisturises as well. Boots have it

That's it for me.

WhoisLucasHood Tue 02-Jun-15 13:26:58

Lush shampoo bar I'd recommend

iwantgin Tue 02-Jun-15 13:30:58

I don't take much.

Dove soap for washing my face and body
Body butter - serves for body and hands and feet
Moisturiser for face- with SPF
Shampoo - but decanted into a smaller bottle
Make up wipes- in case I wear mascara. Also good for cleaning hands
Toothpaste and Deodorant I share with DH
Suncream

That's it for me.

iwantgin Tue 02-Jun-15 13:31:57

Oh, and I try and take products that are likely to be almost finished by the end of the holiday so Idon't feel the need to bring them back home again.

So, I wouldn't pack a new tub of body butter - perhaps find one that is half used.

AuntOlive Tue 02-Jun-15 13:46:40

I would take:

face wipes (don't normally use but handy on hols)
mascara
concealer
blusher
eyeliner
lippy
hairbrush
toothbrush/ paste
deodorant
razer
tweezers
nail file
varnish if wearing - for touchups

I don't usually take shampoo / shower gel etc as just use what's in hotel bathroom.

slithytove Tue 02-Jun-15 14:28:55

Can you buy the big stuff from the airport drugstore, then they aren't part of your weight allowance?

I would take

Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel,, toothpaste, suncream - share with DH
Deodorant
Razor
Make up
Contacts (dailies so no need for solution)

ShakeTheRoom Tue 02-Jun-15 14:32:18

I buy every day stuff like shampoo & conditioner, shower gel, razors, sanitary products and body lotion when I'm away.

I take my make-up bag, facial products and hair stuff with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now