Talk

Advanced search

Suspender belt and stockings

(16 Posts)
Ediemccreedy Mon 01-Jun-15 20:57:55

How do you attach a suspender belt to a stocking? I bought m&s stockings and they don't seem to have any loops, should I just attach the loop through the lace? I thought it would be more straight forward than this?
wink

Ediemccreedy Mon 01-Jun-15 21:04:10

Oops, really don't need to ask three times! Apologies, crap internet connection.

AMcoffeeLover Mon 01-Jun-15 22:05:17

Ummmm mine aren't as you've described! Mine have a "popper" like thing that holds the stocking in place.....any help? Don't think i've explained well......

You just put each clasp through the top of the stocking.

valerie123 Mon 01-Jun-15 22:55:57

Slip the rubber part of the suspender under the stocking top, so that the button bit on it pokes out through the stocking.

Then locate the wide bit of the plastic or metal clasp over the button plus stocking, and pull up the clasp so that it traps the button plus stocking top material in the narrow part.

I find that plain top stockings are easier to fasten than lace tops.

Also, if you want to wear a suspender belt regularly, belts with metal clasps are so much better than those with plastic clasps, which snap easily.

I like to wear a suspender belt with 3 metal clasps per side, and the secret for comfort is wear a deep, corset-like belt and to ensure that the rear clasp is seated nicely over your bum.

Mrsmorton Mon 01-Jun-15 23:04:21

Where do you get your suspender belts from valerie I'm moving jobs and need to dress like a grown up so will probably wear skirts some of the time but I hate tights and lots of hold ups give me a rash so I'd like a non "Ann summers" belt to wear!!

Also, I can't wear nickel, do you think I'll have a problem with the metal clips?

Thank you!!

dun1urkin Mon 01-Jun-15 23:09:06

Agreed, get a 'proper' suspender belt with metal clasps and at least six straps. The metal bit of the clasps doesn't touch your skin.
Stockings HQ have a good selection. Ignore the slightly dodge pics confused

valerie123 Mon 01-Jun-15 23:17:33

I have bought some lovely suspender belts & stockings from "Stockings HQ".

The best ones for everyday wear are the deep ones which hold you firmly like a corset. Look for deep belts with 6 or 8 straps: flimsy 4 strap suspender belts are only for the bedroom!

Metal clasps are essential. You should be OK as the clasps are on the outside of the suspender and don't touch the skin.

I find a good suspender belt and stockings are so comfortable that I can easily wear them all day.

BTW, knickers are worn over the belt & stockings,for loo reasons.

WaitingForMe Tue 02-Jun-15 07:13:43

I have a lovely deep belt from What Katie Did. If you can get to London their staff are great and will measure you and help you get the knack of it.

TiggyD Tue 02-Jun-15 07:18:38

You can also put your stockings on, then attach them to the suspenders before you put the belt on. Then you pull the lot up a bit like tights.

Ediemccreedy Tue 02-Jun-15 23:08:50

This has been so educational! Thanks everyone. Back to the shops to get a more structured belt with six straps and metal hoops...

harryhighheels Mon 08-Jun-15 13:48:01

try what katie did a great vintage range of suspender belts inculding ones with extra holds for a better fit great range of vintage stockings for the best hoisery range dont let the name put you off they sell stockings uktights

Fabulassie Mon 08-Jun-15 18:56:42

If I remember correctly, What Katie Did has odd sizing. Like, vintage/pre-vanity-sizing sizes.

squizita Mon 08-Jun-15 19:37:20

Yep WKD you need to measure yourself and check the sizing guide with care. Even better if you can get there they will fit you.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 08-Jun-15 20:21:52

This has made me so happy.
I love stockings and suspender belts but had been put off in later years as they seemed unfashionable and hence not as easy to buy nowadays.
I hate tights, they are so unhygienic.
Can you still get short ones, a bit bigger than pop socks?
I have short legs. grin

valerie123 Mon 08-Jun-15 22:58:50

Stockings are generally available in several sizes.

Don't forget that you can adjust the reach of your suspenders to compensate for the height of your stocking tops.

I have found that the most forgiving & comfortable stockings are fishnets: maybe you should start with those, if you don't want to appear too tarty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now