Nails for holiday

(19 Posts)
cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 15:21:24

Unsure what to do about my nails for holiday. I have quite good and decent length natural nails. Ive got 2 really nice varnishes (a coral pink one and a pale orange one) that both look nice so intended on wearing these colours (not together!)

I'm not sure whether to get false ones on, or have a gel applied. My one concern, I had gellish applied previously when going away and as it grew, there was a very evident gap between the gel and my cuticle. Worried false ones might lift too?

WWYD?

spookyskeleton Fri 29-May-15 15:28:08

I guess it depends on whether you want to re-do your nails on holiday or not (depending on how long you are going for)?

I have gel polish on my own nails all the time so always have it for holiday aswell. That way I don't need to worry about it chipping etc by spending too much time in the pool. A gap does appear once the nails start growing but mine only gets too noticeable and annoying after 2 weeks so it is fine for holiday.

In terms of colour, I always opt for a really bright pink but that is just my preference as I am a bit pink-obsessed!

QforCucumber Fri 29-May-15 15:30:39

Issue with flash ones like acrylics is they'll cut your own nails short to apply them, seems a waste if yours are already a good length. False ones will show a gap as gel do when they grow. We went away on the 1st, I had my nails done in gel ish 3 days before and was fine all holiday, got it removed and replaced about 5 days after coming back.

QforCucumber Fri 29-May-15 15:33:55

False, not flash hmm

cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 15:43:08

These are my nails au naturel...

I just know that now they are lovely and my skin is better around them (I suffer from hangnails and the picking thereafter) that I;ll end up breaking them and end up having to cut them short again

Cheesymonster Fri 29-May-15 15:51:00

I've got French polish gels so the re growth won't be too obvious. My nails grow really quickly though.

cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 15:52:10

Cheesy Where's that from and do you need the lamps etc (if you did it at home I mean?)

QforCucumber Fri 29-May-15 15:53:23

I wouldn't get false ones, yours are a lovely shape it would be a shame to cut them off. A good gel polish should keep them stronG. I went for a coral pink on hols and barely noticed regrowth - try get them done as close to holiday date as possible, or as we noticed, Newcastle airport had a girl there actually doing them ☺

Cheesymonster Fri 29-May-15 15:57:50

I wish I could do it myself! A mobile nail tech did it but I am considering buying the gel kit from Boots. Would need a hell of a lot of practice before I could do a French manicure though.

cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 15:59:46

There's one in T1 here at manchester airport but £30 seems dear?

cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 16:13:57

Cheesy My friend has one of the kits but just does block colour... she lives too far away from me to ask her to do it sad

QforCucumber Fri 29-May-15 16:17:20

Ouch yes I only pay £18, I didn't notice the airport price. A friend of mine has just bought a kit off groupon - tempted to see if she recommends

cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 16:19:32

ooooh i could see if there are any offers around out there... (feel free to help if u want!)

cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 16:21:41

EEEEEK just found this www.groupon.co.uk/deals/dealbank_en_gb/spritz-me-3/58100298 Too good to be true?

QforCucumber Fri 29-May-15 16:27:48

Big treat - get both smile I love groupon sometimes

cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 16:28:43

Just tried calling the place to check availability before buying as we go away 13 June - its a mobile number. No answer or voicemail...

QforCucumber Fri 29-May-15 16:30:24

how odd - you'd think there was a landline.
Worth checking Facebook if you use it, a salon locall to me always put a monthly offer on there with mani, pedi, brows, lashes, tan, etc choose 3 for £30 smile

cjt110 Fri 29-May-15 16:32:32

Good idea Q smile

QforCucumber Fri 29-May-15 16:36:32

Love a bargain beauty purchase smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now