Can anyone help a fake tan Virgin? Please?

(12 Posts)
JennyOnAPlate Fri 29-May-15 13:52:39

I have a wedding to go to in a couple of weeks and I need to do something about my pale and pasty legs! I've never used fake tan before (I tan nicely in the sun but there hasn't been any!)

Can you recommend one for a novice and any tips to apply it properly? A salon tan is a definite no I'm afraid (I'm a size 18/20 and would be far to embarrassed to strip off) Thank you!

gotredonyou Fri 29-May-15 14:38:22

As you are a fake tan virgin I would suggest you use a gradual tanning moisturiser and build it up to your desired colour.

Make sure you exfoliate/shave/moisturise the night before you apply to avoid streaks and blotchiness.

BumbleNova Fri 29-May-15 15:28:53

Have you thought about a wash off one? they are idiot proof and if it does go wrong, just wash it off and start again. if you are nervous its a lot easier than real fake tan.

Fake bake do a really good one.http://www.boots.com/en/Fake-Bake-Beyond-Bronze-Wash-Off-Tan-Matte-Medium-125ml_1039808/

get yourself a cheap mitt from boots and use that rather than you hands. Just smooth it on, its tinted so you can see you have put it. really easy.

CMP69 Fri 29-May-15 15:35:09

What about this? I've just bought 3 tubes (on 3 for 2) on the back of this thread blush
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2384410-Saint-tropez-shower-Im-going-in

FinallyHere Fri 29-May-15 15:54:08

I too have pasty legs, usually covered in trousers, except for very, very occasional outings. I use sally hansen's airbrush legs. It is essentially makeup for legs. A small amount in the palm of your hand, smooth over leg. Check in a mirror for any streaks, easy enough to smooth out with your fingers. Let it dry for a few minutes before getting dressed. Wash off with soap and water.

Using disposable gloves helps keeping your fingers and nails clean.

This was recommended by the lady who sold me a dress ages ago, its a good tip. Ive used it ever since. It now comes in a range of three colours, so you don't even have to pretend to have a tan.

Enjoy. xx

JennyOnAPlate Sat 30-May-15 14:43:17

Thank you for the responses. I'm off to boots shortly to see what I can find smile

SurlyCue Sat 30-May-15 14:49:18

Hi Op, best tip is to exfoliate and moisturise loads in the run up to application. Especially on elbows, knees, heels and ankles, knuckles, toes and where your under arms join your chest/shoulders, especially where your bra straps sit.

keeponkeepinon Sat 30-May-15 15:01:46

Seconding sally hansen. Marvellous stuff.

Snowflake15 Sat 30-May-15 15:12:23

If you've time before the wedding maybe do a practice run?

I highly recommend St Moriz mousse, think it's about £3 a bottle and it has colour guide so you can see where you've applied and any spots you've missed

Shave and exfoliate the day before you will apply, then on the day you apply (preferably 1/2 days before the wedding) just moisturize knees and elbows. Use a mitt to apply the moussein circular motions and get your partner to apply on your back for you. For your face and tops of hands just wipe over what's left on the mitt after doing your body.

Sleep with it on (put on old pjs and sheets on the bed) wash off in morning and you will have a lovely glow - don't panic the guide colour looks quite dark but washes off to reveal a lovely natural looking glow! smile

TheFutureMrsB Sat 30-May-15 15:12:33

Some of the tanning salons have a booth that automatically sprays you so nobody has to come in and spray you and see you undressed. The one I used last year was really good, you get to pick the colour you want and the just go off into the private room with the tanning booth, press the buttons and your done.

LastTripToTulsa Sat 30-May-15 19:56:29

The best fake tan ever is vita liberata no streaks and looks natural. I put it on go to bed (old bedding )and shower
Next morning . Don't worry it's dark when u put it on but looks great everytime following the shower. It fades naturally too .... Amazing stuff smile

hollyisalovelyname Sat 30-May-15 20:06:13

Even daily tanners streak on me.
Sally Hansen is great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now