Talk

Advanced search

Make up help. Need to look polished for work

(9 Posts)
Senada Wed 27-May-15 20:24:29

New role at work, very client facing, need to look 'polished'.

I can't envision how to get a polished makeup look, ie something that's not too natural looking, which is what I normally gravitate to.

Biggest problem for me is foundation. I have oily skin and have tried every primer known to humanity, EL Doublewear I can't get a shade match. A shiny face with patchy foundation is defintely the look I'm going for!
I'm rambling, sorry blush

To the point - I need ideas of how to achieve the look and help to find a foundation that will last. Or do I just resign myself to taking cleansing wipes to the office and redoing my whole face at lunch time?

Senada Wed 27-May-15 20:32:30

definitely NOT the look I'm going for !

skinnyamericano Wed 27-May-15 20:52:43

Go to Bobbi Brown or Bare Minerals and have a makeover with mineral foundation. It has worked wonders on my oily skin. Plus you can build it up as much as you like.

Carpaccio Wed 27-May-15 20:59:24

I am not a fan of heavy/full coverage foundations, so I can only suggest light/medium coverage foundations. I personally find that heavier coverage foundations wear really badly on me (I have oily skin too) so it starts breaking down and just looks cakey and awful.

I really like Double Wear light, Diorskin Nude and Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser (I use the oil free version). I find that they last all day on me, I might need a bit of powder on my T zone during the day. For even lighter coverage, I really like Estee Lauder DayWear BB cream.
Before you buy any foundation, I would recommend getting a sample to make sure it has the right colour, doesn't break you out and that it wears well during the day.

I don't feel like primers generally do much for me, but I touch up with a pressed powder if I need it. I use Mac Select Sheer, preferably with a brush instead of the powder puff so it doesn't get too cakey.

It might be worth looking at your skincare products if you get very oily even when not wearing makeup as you might be using products that make your skin produce more oil - it can happen if using very drying/harsh products to get rid of the oil.

ImBrian Wed 27-May-15 21:28:21

Not sure about foundation but I know double wear stays on my combo/oily skin beautifully with only a tiny bit of powder after several hours and I find revlon colour stay almost as good. They have a fairly good colour range I think.

I always look/feel more polished when I have my eyebrows filled in. But I have really crap eyebrows.

Shonajay Wed 27-May-15 21:32:52

I'm so pissed off, I just spent £36 of Keyvn Aucoin sensual skin enhancer foundation- on paper it was the holy grail, but not on me. I've now ordered Face Atelier which is apparently ideal for me, madonnas dancers wear it, it's silicone based, looks dewy, and is ideal for my dry patches. No doubt it will end up in the drawer along with the Aucoin, Double Wear, Double Wear BB, Double Wear Camoflague, Lancôme Teint idole, Lancôme teint idole long staying,various MAC crap, mineral crap.

Shonajay Wed 27-May-15 21:34:13

I've also got Laura mercier and I just don't get it- it's like watered down foundation on me. I'm pale skinned, clear of blemishes usually, just prone to a bit of redness.

Shonajay Wed 27-May-15 21:37:12

Lily loll do a translucent loose white powder which is great for setting or blotting oil without caking. Nars do a similar one, in pressed or loose, which does the same thing. I find if I use even a tiny bit of powder with colour in it emphasises cakeyness and can oxidise and go orange. I use a fixing spray after using it.

LordEmsworth Wed 27-May-15 21:53:06

I use:
- Becca Mattifying Primer
- Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation
- Bobbi Brown Mineral Foundation as a powder, very lightly, over the top

It stays all day, no patches or shine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now