Talk

Advanced search

Just want some bloody make up advice.

(19 Posts)
bigbuttons Wed 27-May-15 15:44:59

Am at selfridges. I waited 20 mins for a Mac artist to be free. She was cometrlg disinterested. I told her I wanted advice on bronzes and highlighters. Could she do me a subtle make over and chose me s lipstick that would suit. Could she advise about my skin tone. I can away with her having spoken no more than aCouple of sentences and looking like something in drag. Is Mac always this shit? Where would be better? Well actually I imagine anywhere would be better than thatsad

frankietwospots Wed 27-May-15 15:55:23

Bobbi Brown - get thee to their counter asap!

Optimist1 Wed 27-May-15 15:55:25

Bobbi Brown will be your friend. You may have to make an appointment, but they are friendly, informative and IME not at all pushy in terms of sales.

WottaMess Wed 27-May-15 15:56:22

Yy Bobbi brown!

bigbuttons Wed 27-May-15 22:20:02

Yes, Bobbie Brown was much better. Christ, the mac person drew a really badly exaggerated line in dark purple lip liner. She gave me a bloody cupids bow and then filled it in with ghastly brown metallic lipstick.
I'm 47.
All I wanted was for her to show me the bronzers and explain which shade would be best for my colouring and why.
I reckon they are stressed. All day long, having to appear trendy and up beat putting endless make up on people in Selfridges during half term. I think they must decide to have a laugh to keep their sanity. She saw me coming.
Went to Charlotte Tilbury too but no one approached me, even though I was obviously interested and there were loads of spare staff. I have some of their eyeshadow sticks which are great. I also have the kohl eyeliner. So bad that you would be better off just drawing a black smudge under eyes to start with!

bigbuttons Wed 27-May-15 22:20:34

I would love to know other people's make up counter horror stories!

PurpleDaisies Wed 27-May-15 22:23:08

Another vote for Bobbi brown. They are great and non pushy. I had a really good makeover at Chanel last year too. I paid £25 but it was redeemable against purchases and I had s whole hour with the make up artist who showed me how to do day and night looks with the same quad. I had a fab time (except when the bank statement arrived)!

iloveoz Wed 27-May-15 22:40:35

Always feel intimidated st these counters +detest the hard sell they always serve other potential customers whilst you are sat there!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 27-May-15 22:43:38

I ventured into Bobbi brown in Covent garden and it was fab. I'm the most un made up, non glam person going but they really put me at ease. Fab products and no hard sell.

Jemster Fri 29-May-15 16:52:35

Viva did you just walk in to Bobbi Brown & get advice or did you need to prebook an appointment? I'm going to Covent Garden this weekend so would like to pop in.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 29-May-15 17:31:29

Just popped in. Had to wait five mins. Think they'd have shown me as much as I wanted. They were showing a girl how to do smokey eyes on the chair beside me.

lookatme14 Fri 29-May-15 18:20:39

Amazing make over at Estée Lauder on Sunday! Lovely girl, and amazing make up. Was £15 but redeemable against product x

123Jump Fri 29-May-15 20:46:40

bigbuttons, I went to a professional make up store. You can get a one hour one to one, bring in your own make up and they show you how to apply it properly.
I bought loads of their brushes (no expensive) and some brilliant primer.
Maybe you could see if there is anything like that near you? X

bigbuttons Fri 29-May-15 21:28:59

Thanks jump I would love to find something like that near me!

PurpleDaisies Fri 29-May-15 21:32:31

Where in the country are you jump? I've got a bit of work bonus to spend on some nice make up and if you're localish I'd love the name of the shop.

Holdonforonemoreday Sat 30-May-15 06:04:08

I wear Bobby brown serum foundation or clarins everlasting foundation depending on how my skin feels that day and how much coverage I need.

I am also trying garnier Bb pure active when I think I can get away with it at the weekends.

My skin is very temperamental at the moment so it also really depends on what I wear underneath my foundation as to whether it will slide off, stick to dry parts etc. I always put powder over it but I'd like a foundation where I wouldn't have to that.

123Jump Sat 30-May-15 10:37:05

PurpleDaisies I am in NI. But I could ring them and see if they know of any where in England,if that is where you are?

PurpleDaisies Sat 30-May-15 17:00:20

I'm in England sadly but thanks for replying. I'll get on google and see what I can find near me. smile

Apathyisthenewblah Sat 30-May-15 17:12:47

Space nk also fab and no pressure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now