Talk

Advanced search

Skincare at 10

(25 Posts)
MixedMessages Wed 27-May-15 09:45:21

Is it too early?

DD is starting to get an oily face - her face gets shiny over night and you can see the pores- I don't want to intervene too early or give her any damaging messages about her appearance but on the flip side I grew up in a house where I didn't have access to anything other than bars of hand soap until I got a job and I hated that I had awful skin as a result and always swore I'd never do that to my DDs.

Do I leave her to soap and water for now or is there something super mild that she could start using?

ImBrian Wed 27-May-15 21:13:31

I've started my 9 year old off with a bit of my liz Earle hot cloth cleanser once a day and a spf30 moisturiser. I want to encourage her to look after her skin as I've failed miserably with my 14 year old. She thinks it's dead exciting.

pocketandsweet Wed 27-May-15 21:19:36

Bumping out of self interest as I am in similar situation with my 9 1/2 year old. Whatever I try its going have to be quick and easy because she isn't interested.

ImBrian Wed 27-May-15 21:23:28

What about michllear water? Easy and fast.

Dismalfuckers Wed 27-May-15 21:27:35

Effaclar products work well for DD.

Never too early to look after your skin.

Whiskwarrior Wed 27-May-15 21:27:47

What happened to letting children be children? Why do little girls need skincare routines?

At this age it should be a quick wash with soap and water.

Where are the threads about pre-teen boys and their shiny skin and large pores?

Horrible.

crje Wed 27-May-15 21:30:29

My ds had black heads at 9 so I used to steam & squeeze.

Skin care isn't cosmetic whiskwarrior.

ImBrian Wed 27-May-15 21:35:39

Washing your face and putting on a sunscreen is hardly a skin care routine! It's basically posh soap and common sense using an spf.

My 3 year old wears a sunscreen everyday and will use a cleanser when she's a bit older as will my son.

Should have done it with my eldest as well.

Windowbasket Wed 27-May-15 21:40:16

I don't really understand whiskwarrior's post. I am interested in this thread as my daughter is also 10 and she has started getting spots. I have been wondering whether I should enhance the water and a flannel routine that we currently use. I have a son who is younger and will take the same interest in his skin! Like the OP I also grew up in a house where I didn't have access to anything other than soap and water. Dd is becoming bothered by the spots and so I would like to help her.

Whiskwarrior Wed 27-May-15 21:41:52

Suncream is just common sense. My kids all wear that cos it protects against sunburn and skin care.

Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser on a 9 year old is ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

And I don't believe for a second that you will be teaching your son to use a cleanser. You've said that because I pointed out the the sexism.

Windowbasket Wed 27-May-15 21:45:28

Wow you really are quite rude aren't you shock - I didn't say that I would be teaching my son to use cleanser. I said that I would be showing the same concern about his skin. You seem rather angry!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 27-May-15 21:46:10

I'd start with a balm cleanser, theyre very gentle but will fetch off any grime plus sunscreen takes some shifting.

I would also put a proper sunscreen on like Clinique city block or dermalogica.

My mum always put sunscreen on me from a young age because a friend of hers had died of melanoma and her doctors had said it was linked to sun exposure, that was over 40 years ago.

ImBrian Wed 27-May-15 21:48:55

Why is it unnecessary? It's much better for your skin then soap.

Of course I'll teach him to use cleanser and sunscreen. My DP has always looked after his skin from a very young age and has beautiful skin. I don't see why boys have any less reason to look after their skin then girls, they both get spots/blackheads/sun damage.

LavazzaLover Thu 28-May-15 08:43:54

My 13 yr old DD does not wear make up and its a struggle to get her to wash her face (really!!!). So I buy face wipes as her skin started to become spotty especially around the hair line. And she has a pot of good old Nivea. DD2 is 11 and loves washing her face etc so she will happily use wipes and Nivea.

GingerbreadBaubles Thu 28-May-15 09:39:20

I give dsd 11 Alpha H balancing cleanser as she's started getting breakouts, I'd be a bit careful of using Liz E c&p just because it contains camphor and can be an irritant. My dsd loves her skincare, never too early to teach good habits

FannyFernackapan Thu 28-May-15 09:42:12

I agree with whisk in the main - and I am a beauty product junkie with a time consuming skincare routine.

I see nothing wrong with a facial soap for a 10 year old or a mild facial wash and a scrub with a flannel. To talk in terms of a skincare routine at 10, or use LE cleanser is just not necessary. She's a child.

FannyFernackapan Thu 28-May-15 09:43:05

Wipes are for babies bottoms not young faces. They're very harsh on the skin and won't do it any good in the long run

SuperFlyHigh Thu 28-May-15 09:48:24

I think personally that soap and water or a very simple cleansing wash (Simple maybe?) and perhaps Nivea or a light moisturising lotion is all that's needed at 10... tea tree oil to treat the spots and that's it.

J&J do a range called Purpose in US which I think is for teen or pre teen skin.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 28-May-15 09:49:48

Fanny - wipes are frowned upon by the beauty industry as being 'harsh' the ones for facial use are targeted for that.

My 32 year old SIL uses the Boots Medicated Wipes and has done for a few years and has lovely skin.

Pagwatch Thu 28-May-15 09:50:10

I would have been very wary of talking about skincare routines with my DD when she was 10.
I might have changed the soap for a cleanser if she was getting spotty but I wouldn't have made a song and dance about it.

Dd has just started using cleansers - she is 13 in a couple of months. I have also got products for her skin as her face takes a battering from being in the swimming pool ten hours a week and having a tendency to sore areas and eczema.

I think there is a way to go about this that is to do with cleaning gently that doesn't start crossing into beautifying. 10 is a bit young for all that imo.

MixedMessages Thu 28-May-15 10:53:58

Thanks all.

I am aware my perspective is a little off as skincare (or lack of) was a massive issue for me growing up and frankly left me with poor self esteem. Despite actually having pretty good skin looking back.

Tbh DD is pretty lazy when it comes to hygeine so it may not be an issue.

Pagwatch Thu 28-May-15 11:02:06

grin

Yes, DD was idle about it too until recently.

DS1 had to be manhandled into the bathroom until he started being aware that girls were not just annoying.

ItsNotAsPerfectAsItSeems Thu 28-May-15 11:10:45

Well dd is only little but my 12yr old ds1 was feeling down about spots and I gave him a pack of simple facial wipes. He uses one each night. They're quick and easy and I'm amazed, as is he, at how filthy they look when he's finished with them.
Personally, I'd like to minimise as much of the teenage angst as possible. It can be a hellish time and if I can help just a little by encouraging good skin care thus leading to less spots and therefore less embarrassment then I absolutely will. Ds2 is almost 10 and I'm about to get him a pack too.

ImBrian Thu 28-May-15 11:17:18

I thought the liz Earle was really gentle as I use it so that's why I let her use it. I'll have a look for a more gentle one.

It's interesting hearing people views on this, I see washing your face as being the same as teaching them to wash their hair properly. Definitely not telling my dd it's to make her better looking or that it's for beauty purposes.

Carpaccio Thu 28-May-15 11:44:00

I would go for a simple cleanser like Cetaphil. It doesn't dry out the skin and AFAIK it is recommended by loads of dermatologists.

If necessary, a good moisturiser that suits your daughter's skin type. Despite getting oily overnight, she might not have oily skin and might not need a product to mattify and so on - treating skin as oily when it isn't can make the skin produce more oil to compensate. I would go for something light and hydrating to start with.

A good SPF would be a good idea for daytime, but as with all SPF, it needs to be re-applyed a couple of times a day to get the full effect of it.
If using SPF, I would suggest cleansing the skin in the evening as well as SPF products seem to clog up the skin for a lot of people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now