Talk

Advanced search

i am Sh*t at girl stuff.... please tell me what i need to know. Please.

(11 Posts)
blessedenough Mon 25-May-15 21:21:34

Hi i need to fake tan, my legs could cause snow blindness, my scottish heritage is to blame!

How do i do it? I have never fake tanned but i have lost some weight (2st) and would like to get my legs out without fear of causing retinal disturbances. I have very dry knees ( a recent thing, bloody ageing) and i think i need to exfoilate - is there anything else i should know???

Pale and interesting is all well and good but i need to shake things up a bit. Hhheellpp, please.

Thanks x

WipsGlitter Mon 25-May-15 21:23:02

I use scrubby gloves and Dove tanner. Give it a few goes before you venture out!

Lovewearingjeans Mon 25-May-15 21:25:32

What about gradual tanner? Less room for mistake so. Or if you can afford it, a spray tan. You can get 'paler' versions in some salons.

BearPear Mon 25-May-15 21:29:55

The Dove moisturiser with tan, or the Johnson's Holiday Skin are subtle, make sure you rub in well (and wash hands afterwards!)

glitteryflange Mon 25-May-15 21:30:01

Seasoned fake tanner here.

I have used gradual tans before but find mixing a darker tan with moisturiser works better.

Exfoliate in the shower with the gloves, moisturise dry areas and get some latex gloves and apply fake tan like you would your moisturiser.

Purpleflamingos Mon 25-May-15 21:32:37

You can get a spray ran done in a salon? Some still do the old exfoliation and rub in tans too.

If you're doing it yourself, I'd say you have two options- buy an over the counter one and get advice (boots number 7 was one I was addicted to in my 20's). OR buy a gradual build up moisturiser/self tan such as garnier summer body (currently my natural looking favourite).

As a new user I'd say exfoliate properly first. Put moisturiser on. Then your choice of fake tan.

Accept you're going to make some mistakes. Exfoliation normally helps to remove them. I've been fake tanning since my teens and went over a patch of eczema last week which ended up in a darker shade than the rest of me. It's gone now.

blessedenough Mon 25-May-15 21:50:17

Thanks guys - after my weightloss i might treat myself to a salon tan - do i still need to exfoilate and moisturise first?? I have the scratchy gloves.

Cocolepew Mon 25-May-15 22:09:53

Garnier gradual tanner is excellent. Or Rimmel and others do wash off ones.

glitteryflange Mon 25-May-15 23:56:58

Yep. Exfoliate and moisturise as usual. No deodorant or perfume. And wear dark lose clothing. You may feel a bit tacky after but it won't affect the result.

Sienna X 8% would give a nice glow

Nancyjuice7 Tue 26-May-15 00:48:47

scratchy gloves are the best! Can be useful to buy a fake tan that has a guide colour so you know where its going, st tropez mouse is fab! i like to put moisturizer on knees, elbow, armpits, feet and hands before starting Always use a mitt, and once applied sleep in it and wash it off in morning. Moisturize everyday, and once you've applied to body, lightly with whats left on the mitt go over hand and feet. I have wrote all these tips in a funny order but hope they help!

TheVeryHungryPreggo Tue 26-May-15 01:07:55

I rarely do it and salon tans come out way too dark on me (ginger!) so I buy a cheapish bottle of Nivea tan or something for fairer skin and then blend that half and half with moisturiser - I have a large bottle of body shop cocoa butter stuff that works a treat.

Scrubby gloves in the shower first. Moisturiser helps it go on without streaking. And a bronzing powder for top ups later once it's dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now