Haven't been abroad for 8 years since having dc - what to take & how much?(6 Posts)
We're going to Majorca for a week in June. We haven't been abroad for 8 years & first time abroad with dc who are 7 & 3. I'm unsure how much to take clotheswise for them. As it's not been very warm here yet they've hardly got any summer clothes so I need to buy pretty much everything we'll need to take.
Also need to buy for myself as my summer clothes are all a bit tight!
I don't want to overdo it as it's only a week after all & may rain the rest of the summer here!
Any tips please?
I was in Barcelona for 5 days.
2 dresses, I wore one
2 pairs of cropped trouser (wore them for two days each)
Bikini - didn't wear
Pair of shorts - didn't Wear
Wore my leather jacket and jeans on the plane.
My lotta cloggs and brogues (didn't wear the cloggs)
Tips: be realistic, are you actually going to change for dinner every night? You don't need six evening outfits if you won't.
How much time will you spend at the beach/pool/not in real clothes?
Look at your pile of clothes and don't take a third of them, you won't wear them.
If you have a crisis there will be shops to buy clothes from!
ok, we do Majorca a lot and have done it every year with kids. So:
FOR THE KIDS:
* Those sunsuits/swimming costume things - get 2 outfits each for the kids - one for wearing whilst the other is drying. They basically wear these all day every day if you're basing yourself at the pool and/or beach. Supermarkets do them the cheapest or check out TK Maxx you should get them for £10 - and don't forget a hat each - the legionnaires ones (baseball cap and flap behind) are best. Plus factor 50.
* I aim for them to wear their evening outfits 2 or 3 times each- simple shorts and tshirts or a dress if girls plus they can also be worn in the day if you're doing a town visit.
* crocs for the beach/pool plus sandals for the evening/town. Socks to go under sandals if they're prone to blisters
For me I take 2 bikinis so I can wash/wear
2 pairs of shorts that don't show the dirt and a couple of cover up dress/tunic/big tshirt things for the days.
I'll take 3-4 outfits for the evening and re-use over 7 days.
2 pairs of birkenstocks (day/night) and maybe fancy wedges if we're getting a night out without kids.
enough underwear for 2 weeks (day set and night set)
Hair gets really fluffy/wavy and blowdrying is tooooo hot! Straighteners will have limited success so try to go with the wavy beach babe look.
Other good stuff:
- blister plasters and that compeed grease stick to prevent them
- suncream (v.pricey out there)
Go to Pollenca old town if you can. It's beautiful. Market on Sundays is a great experience but it's nicer on quieter days.
Oh here I love Pollenca old town - the gzillion steps up to the church at the top of the hill, not so much!
We've stayed in Cala San Vicente a few times, beautiful area..
Sorry, just piped up to say that!
Thank you both for your really helpful replies. I've got a better idea now of how much to take & as you say, can always buy stuff out there if needed. I have been looking for the hats with the neck bit for my son who is 7 but can't seem to find any that go up to that age.
I've just bought legionnaire hats made of swimming costume material for my two from an eBay shop and got the big one 7-10 yrs. seller is ozjane and the brand is Ozcoz. I have girls so pack loads of H&M cotton Jersey dresses for them. They are £2.99 so very cheap. They get worn as a nighttime outfit then the next day to the beach so 14 nights I'll take 14 dresses to cover all outfits.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.