British summer holiday essentials

(9 Posts)
Autumn2014 Mon 25-May-15 09:41:35

I'm very excited. We've just booked a cottage for a week in August. Plan on doing some days at the beach, weather permitting, trip on steam train, coastal walks, monkey world, visit castles and villages. We have a little boy and my budget is more supermarket/high street clothes than high end!

I know I have a bit to go but I just wondered what other people pack. I thought I might go and have a look at sainsburys 25% off, and obviously I have lots already in my wardrobe.

We are going by car so space isn't too much of an issue but not unlimited! Interested in your ideas for clothes, footwear and quantities, plus accessories.

Autumn2014 Mon 25-May-15 09:43:28

Also if you 'theme' your clothes or try and do certain colour combinations. I'm quite enjoying coral and navy at the moment.

Bunbaker Mon 25-May-15 09:48:51

I tend to pack far more for UK holidays because of the variations in the weather. I would pack warm and waterproof clothes for bad weather, comfortable shoes, jeans, cardigans/jumpers, t-shirts, shorts and beach wear. No-one dresses up for the evenings these days so I wouldn't worry too much about accessorising outfits because no-one else will notice anyway.

I assume you are going to Dorset, so if you are going fossil hunting on the beach I would wear sturdy trainers.

Have a great holiday. I love Dorset.

Skinheadmermaid Mon 25-May-15 12:51:23

Sounds really fun!
I would recommend really comfortable trainers/shoes for everyone and trousers/jeans that aren't too tight at the calf-so you can roll them up to paddle in the sea.

Skinheadmermaid Mon 25-May-15 12:52:02

Oh and if you buy high waisted jeans you can bend over to look at stuff and not worry about your bum showing.

Brolly
Raincoat
Comfortable shoes that dry quickly
Rolled up skinnies
Cotton tops and thin cotton jumpers

Coastingit Mon 25-May-15 18:27:25

Sounds like a lovely holiday!

I'd pack

Two pairs of skinnies - probably M and S jeggings in indigo and grey
Comfy but nice sandals
Skate shoes (or trainers if you prefer)
Two long sleeved floaty tops (loving these at the moment, I have a navy cotton one with tassels from Next and an off white viscose voluminous one from Tesco
Two jumpers
Two day dresses (just in case the sun appears! I have several too many, eternal optimist from Hush, Primark, Zara and Vila at Asos) probably a stripey one and a casual navy or black one.
Big sunglasses
Cross body bag, small enough to be stylish and comfy, big enough for your stuff but NOT big enough for maps, water bottles and general family paraphernalia - if they want it, they can carry it themselves. still peeved at backache caused by oversized bag on recent British break meaning everyone thought it was a free for all
And a denim jacket and a leather jacket and a big scarf maybe Becksondergaard or similar.

I want to go on holiday now! envy

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 25-May-15 18:32:26

Ahh we used to take the DC to Dorset (and Monkey World grin )

For DC, some of those pool shoes (fabric with a rubber sole and the ones I bought had a sort of drawstring to tighten them ), shorts with pockets if he's anything like how my DS used to be (to collect treasures) a TShirt to cover shoulders and a hat.
Plastic bag to collect shells etc.

Spray on once a day sun protector - there are loads now on the market (we used to buy the SPF20) or Ultrasun. Boots, Aldi, Superdrug all do ranges - look for 3 for 2 or BOGOF

Hand gel and handcream
Wipes

Moisturiser (for adults and DC on the beach)
Hair protector (sun/chlorine)

One of those peg hanger things for drying socks,swimsuits
Fleece jacket for evening (dry quick and light)

Something for evening - book, pens, jigsaw , if you need it.

And for me in any holiday accomodation - proper sized mug, not those teacups grin. If your DC use a sealed cup to save spills, take that.

Anything you don't take, you can buy there (can't remember the nearest large town but we had small local shops)

TulipBluebell Mon 25-May-15 18:53:01

In colours that go together:
2x jeans
Shorts
Skirt
One for each day top
Birkies
Converse
Denim jacket
Scarf
Sunglasses
One smarter outfit
Flip flops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now