Is it possible to spruce up a scuffed leather bag?

(10 Posts)
kiwidreamer Sun 24-May-15 18:40:30

I have the Radley cross body pocket handbag and its looking rather scuffed and a bit past it really but until I find something I want to replace it with is it possible to make it look a bit better? Its just for schlepping around with kids etc so it'll do until my birthday later in the year but it would be nice if I could spruce it up a bit... all I can think of tho is anything topical will rub off on my clothes wont it - lost cause?

GluedToTheCouch Sun 24-May-15 19:05:08

You can buy neutral leather cream. Might be worth a try. Certainly won't do any harm!

Itsalldramarama Sun 24-May-15 20:06:01

I used a kids black polish .. The squeezy bottle type on a ri2k bag . Not come off on any thing yet smile
( just don't squeeze too hard as I managed to splatter it all over the work top and tiles ..,, bags fine though ;)

wfrances Sun 24-May-15 20:09:57

i have a black leather tote ,and used my black leather settee polish.
you wipe it on ,leave it for a while and then buff it off.

Carpaccio Sun 24-May-15 20:13:58

I don't know the bag, so not sure which type of leather it is made of or what colour it is, but I have a few different Mulberry bags that I have used Collonil Leather Gel on if they look a bit tired - these bags are made of different leathers and have different finishes/treatments and the gel has worked well on all of the bags, including a natural leather bag that has not been dyed.

The gel doesn't help if colour has been worn off a coloured bag (such as a green bag). So in that case, I'd suggest getting a leather/shoe polish in the correct colour.

For stained bags, I use baby wipes. They seem to be able to clean quite well without staining or drying the leather out. The Collonil gel does seem to be able to lift off some dirt too, but I actually think the baby wipes are better at that. I usually use the wipes, then use the gel when the bag has dried.

quietbatperson Sun 24-May-15 20:25:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CeeceeBloomingdale Sun 24-May-15 20:49:47

Get thee to poundland and invest in a spray bottle of wizz leather cleaner. It also nourishes as it has coconut oil in it. It's fabulous for bags and sofas

CointreauVersial Sun 24-May-15 21:07:06

Buy some Renovating Cream Polish - many shoe menders sell it in a range of colours. I had a scuffed bag in an unusual brown-burgundy shade, and they managed to colour match it exactly.

You rub in a good amount and leave it to soak in, then buff off with a cloth. It restores all the colour and removes scratches.

Also very handy for knackered school shoes. grin

CointreauVersial Sun 24-May-15 21:08:20

And it doesn't stink or rub off on clothes (unlike regular shoe polish).

Second the Collonil gel. It spruced up a scuffed bag incredibly well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now