Why is my hair always done this way?

(15 Posts)
WhyIRayLiotta Sat 23-May-15 14:06:45

I went to the hairdressers this morning.

My hair is long and dark brown and I wanted a change.

I brought some pictures a Pinterest board and was excited about it. I wanted it trimmed, and some colours added - I talked about baylage and ombré and how I liked the placement of the colour in a few of the pics. The hairdresser was attentive and listened and showed me pictures she had. We were very much thinking the same thing. I also said I didn't want I have to worry about roots. I said I hated stripy hair.

So after 2 and a half hours I have stripy hair, it's done from the roots of my parting - so regrowth will be obvious (it already looks grown out!)
And it's a bloody crap colour! An orangy tint that I hate.

She told me to give it a few days and come back if I want it changed.

I feel so deflated. It was an expensive treat and I wish I'd never had it done.

Why why why do hairdressers always make my hair this crap colour when it's nowhere near any of the pictures we looked at?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 23-May-15 14:21:32

Have you taken photos of it? This really helps to give you an objective view. I got DH to do pics of mine recently, and it confirmed to me that I wasn't happy and felt better about going back (especially the view from above, looking down at the crown).
Didn't know what bayalage etc. were but it sounds like they're kind of interchangeable terms for that graduated look that's around at the moment.
Maybe your hairdresser just isn't up to doing it properly? It's hard to find someone who genuinely has the skills you want (especially, dare I say it, in small provincial towns), so I'd suggest looking around for someone you're happier with.
Do go back though - you still might not get the effect you want, but at least she can get rid of the stripes.
Re. the colour: do you have 'cool' or 'warm' tones in your skin? If you don't tan very easily and have bluish veins with a pink tone to your skin, anything on the orange spectrum will look awful. You need a hairdresser who knows how to consider your skintones when mixing your colour.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 23-May-15 14:24:44

I can't stand going to the hairdresser, fwiw. My salon keeps the colour and cut work separate, which for me too often ends up having the colour done by someone who's waiting to go off and be a proper hairdresser somewhere else (judging by the thrnover this is in fact the case).
You have my sympathy.

WhyIRayLiotta Sat 23-May-15 14:30:58

Thanks shotgun

Yes - I'm very pale - with cool colouring so the orange does not work sad

I've taken some pictures to snapchat my friends as I was excited to be getting it done - it looks OK-ish in them as I've tilted my head back (hides the double chin...) so you can't really see the parting and the stripes there.

It was graduated colour I wanted. And she seemed to understand. But only had one dye pot and I knew then it wasn't going to be what I wanted as I'd expected to have a few different colours put in.

Have a special night out planned and feel crap now.

Love that you picked up that I'm from a small provincial town!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 23-May-15 14:42:39

grin Just a wild guess! Have you had colouring done by this person before? I'm surprised she didn't bring a swatch book and show you the colours she'd be using. Mine told me she'd used the colours written on my record card, but I'm convinced she sneaked in some red as she said something about having it 'warmed up.'
Do get someone to take an above shot though as it's good ammo for showning her exactly what you don't like. And don't forget that you might not ever see this view of yourself, but everyone else does when you're sitting down.
It's very deflating to hate your hair sfter spending time and money on it, but you will at least feel a bit better if she tones it down.

JessiePinkman Sat 23-May-15 14:57:46

Ughhhh why do hairdressers still do the stripey thing?? It suits no one. When I trained 10 yeArs ago we were under strict instructions to never produce stripes!!! It is not a correct technique. Was she rushed?

StickEm Sat 23-May-15 14:59:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lweji Sat 23-May-15 14:59:38

I think you should ask for your money back and go to a hairdresser who has good references for colour.

WhyIRayLiotta Sat 23-May-15 15:29:23

I've only had my hair cut there before. They are quite well respected salon. They've a lot of positive comments on Facebook etc. They post lots of before / after hair makeovers and they always look good.

I don't think she was rushed. But yes! It is so bloody 90s.

Arghhhhh. So much for my treat. Cost me £90! I'll go back and get her to tone down the top of it.

And back to the drawing board of finding a hairdresser I like.

WhyIRayLiotta Sat 23-May-15 15:34:04

This is what I wanted! sad

PrimroseEverdeen Tue 26-May-15 13:28:45

Aaahh! The holy grail of colour! I've being trying to get that look for ages. None of the hairdressers I have tried have got close and I live in a big city! The stripes will look better as they grow out. In the meantime, if you really hate it and don't want to go back, you could try one of the loreal glossing dyes just to tone down the orange.

burnishedsilver Tue 26-May-15 13:56:48

I had the same experience. Within days I put a nice n easy semi permanent over it. Is really dissapointing to spend so much money on hair that looks crap.

MadisonMontgomery Tue 26-May-15 19:36:31

Ha I feel your pain - and guessed immediately it was a provincial town hairdressers! A few years ago I wanted my dark brown hair a kind of J.Lo colour - brown with some highlights. Went to the 'posh' hairdressers in my nearest provincial market town, where I was assured it would be no problem to do. After an entire day of sitting there watching my hair get oranger & oranger, I was sent home at closing time with it dyed black to cover the horrendous orange up & a conditioning treatment slapped on as it now had the texture of straw. And they tried to charge me for it.

prepperpig Tue 26-May-15 19:46:14

My hairdresser (at Toni and Guy) refused to do balayage in my hair. She said that unless I was prepared to have a lot of layers in it, it would always look odd and stripey. With balayage the highlights don't start from the top of the head, they are painted on individually to look like your hair is sun kissed. The ombre effect is then done at the same time to give a very natural ombre/natural highlighted effect (I've already had the dramatic ombre effect four years ago and grew it out fairly quickly and stopped having stripes about ten years ago!).

I sympathise. Your picture number two was the same picture I took with me. If I could get that look I'd have it done in a flash. I suspect it takes too long and that's why they don't like doing it.

I also hate the stripey look and now have 'hidden highlights' (not along my parting) with a semi permanent everywhere else to make it shiny. Would that work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now