Talk

Advanced search

Perfume layering - does anyone do it?

(18 Posts)
Stitchintime1 Fri 22-May-15 18:50:05

I've always assumed it was a particularly transparent way to get us to buy two products. Anyway, I've been wearing rose perfumes for about two years now and u wanted a big change. Cue lots of happy sniffing and I've gone to the dark side with Diptique Vetiver. But I miss the florals. So I've taken to spraying a blast of one of my unfinished rose perfumes. It works. I'd rather have the one just right perfume though. Does anyone else layer perfume and, if so, which ones and why?

Lucy61 Fri 22-May-15 18:52:37

No, never. It doesn't sound very nice.

Stitchintime1 Fri 22-May-15 19:09:32

It feels like an odd thing to do but the effect was ok.

mowglik Fri 22-May-15 21:19:14

I have tried layering my jo malone perfumes and i quite liked the effect. You get a more complex scent and its useful if you've kind of gone off a perfume but still want to use it up.

Don't know if there are rules for layering but i try and layer similar perfumes, e.g. acqua di parma fido di amalfi and jo malone wood sage and sea salt are both coconutty so don't clash

CointreauVersial Fri 22-May-15 22:55:23

I know a few of the perfumistas do it, but I never know what to layer with what.

I always think the perfumer must have taken the trouble to develop the perfect fragrance with the precise blend of ingredients etc, and layering it with a second one is a bit like going to a restaurant, ordering two main courses, and mixing them up on the plate.

I do know the Jo Malone fragrances are designed to be layered, though.

porkpieandgin Fri 22-May-15 22:58:05

Yes Jo Malone fragrances. I don't always layer them, but I have large bottles of my favourite ones, and then smaller bottles of ones that when layered make them smell great! They are quite long lasting and the fragrance changes throughout the day on the skin which I love!

Greengardenpixie Fri 22-May-15 23:39:50

Someone did this at work. She used two fragrances. One of them was Jimmy choo. She smelt gorgeous!!!

Stitchintime1 Sun 24-May-15 06:17:39

It's worth a try I'd say. I wouldn't buy perfume specifically to layer but I'm finding that it improves one that doesn't work 100%. Meanwhile the search for a new scent goes on.

DuchessFanny Sun 24-May-15 12:37:11

I also layer with Jo Malone, spent a bit of time finding what i wanted and now love it, it feels like my own special scent, i just spray both bottle together and walk into the scent - if that makes sense ?

Stitchintime1 Tue 26-May-15 18:15:47

It does. I don't do the walk in business, but I know of it. Oddly enough I now really like the one I had doubts about. Perhaps I just needed weaning onto such a different scent.

Besta Tue 26-May-15 18:18:54

What jo Malone perfumes layer well? I want to try this but don't want to smell awful/waste perfume.

Sparkletastic Tue 26-May-15 18:20:17

Oh Lordy yes all the time. Gave up on JM scents a while back though as they are generally too weedy and overpriced. Works v well with a light scent to give it more oomph. Also a fruity and a coconutty smell always works well.

Stitchintime1 Tue 26-May-15 19:59:51

Mmm. Fruit and coconut sounds good. I'd rather have one scent though. Just one perfect scent, but still looking.

Sparkletastic Fri 29-May-15 13:27:28

Only just come back to this? Have you considered a perfume consultation OP? My best mate did it and discovered the scent equivalent of the love of her life - Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle.

Stitchintime1 Fri 29-May-15 15:32:35

I am waiting for some samples from Nose, but yes I would consider a perfume consultation. Where would I go? I know Portrait of a Lady by the way. Glorious. Lucky her.

sleepwhenidie Fri 29-May-15 15:35:23

Yes, molecules 01 (which I think is essentially a base for many perfumes anyway) and Coco Noir. I regularly get told I smell amazing <modest> (Could be the Molecules alone though, it does have that effect)!

Stitchintime1 Fri 29-May-15 17:42:14

Just googled Molecules 0!. Is it claiming that it suits everyone? I read the reviews and there was lots of raving, but not much description of the scent.

Housewife2010 Fri 29-May-15 18:15:17

I have Molecule 1. My husband thinks it smells of mossy which he likes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now