Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to find a red with blue undertones like this one...

(32 Posts)
SirSpamalot Tue 19-May-15 20:55:03

for under £10.

Can anyone help? It needs to be really blue to suit my colouring I think (mid-dark town hair, blue eyes, fair skin which more often than not looks very washed out).

Anyone help?

picture here

SirSpamalot Tue 19-May-15 20:55:33

Lipstick I mean!

TheHoundsBitch Tue 19-May-15 20:59:25

MUA have a velvet/ matte lipstick in that colour. They have it in a sort of gloss type applicator (like the LimeCrime ones) or a normal lipstick. There about £2 or £3 and stay on pretty well. Too dark for me though sad

bialystockandbloom Tue 19-May-15 21:01:51

Oh I am with you on this! I had a couple of perfect ones some years ago (Chanel and Lancome i think) but for the last few years this has been my holy grail. I've got darker colouring than you (brown eyes and more olive skin), but the orange-toned ones just make my teeth look yellow. Make-up counter staff don't seem to know what I'm talking about, and it also doesn't help when there's never natural light in shops so the colour is never what you think it is.

Not helpful, sorry. But watching with interest.

SirSpamalot Tue 19-May-15 21:37:07

Thanks Hounds

Did you mean this one?

It looks blue on the stick, but still quite light/not blue where they've squiggled a line on a hand to show you a sample (if that makes sense?

LettuceLaughton Tue 19-May-15 21:50:26

The one in your OP looks an awful lot like MAC ruby woo. Not under a tenner though.

Have you looked at the Kate Moss for Rimmel reds? Number 111 might work, it's matte but not as matte as ruby woo. very few are though.

CFSKate Tue 19-May-15 21:52:53

That picture reminds me of a MAC lipstick, I think it might be Russian Red, so maybe search images for MAC russian red dupe?

SirSpamalot Wed 20-May-15 15:55:06

Ive tried Mac Russian Red, but didn't find it red like that... It was still orangey (to me at least!).

I might try Ruby Woo... If it's right, I don't mind paying a bit more.

I'll have a look at the Rimmel one too. Thanks!!

BumbleNova Wed 20-May-15 16:12:08

I was also going to say Ruby woo. Its exactly like the picture.

Carpaccio Wed 20-May-15 16:44:57

Revlon Colourburst matte balm in Standout is very nice. You can find swatches online.

rubyflipper Wed 20-May-15 16:51:30

Mac All Fired Up is a red lipstick with lots of 'blue'.

TheHoundsBitch Wed 20-May-15 16:57:36

This is the lip gloss wand-y one. I'll have a dig through my make up bag in a bit and find the lipstick - I can't remember what the shade is called.

Misssss Wed 20-May-15 18:47:49

That's deffo ruby woo, could tell just from the description! Second the Kate Moss rimmel if you want one for under a tenner!

KissyBoo Wed 20-May-15 19:50:21

No7 stay perfect in 'love red' is the perfect blue red. Matte too. You can only get it online now but you can get it delivered into store to collect and that way avoid additional postage costs.

I have exactly the same colouring as you and wear it most days.

PandaMummyofOne Wed 20-May-15 20:03:47

Bourjois (sp?) have an amazon matt lip stain. They call it their velvet reds collection.They have a huge collection of various tones, but like you I need a blue undertone. It literally lasts 12+ hours. and I talk ALL day as a teacher

Fibbertigibbet Wed 20-May-15 20:11:55

Collection 2000 do a lipstick called Valentine which is quite like your picture. It's moisturising, but doesn't have great staying power (although very cheap)

Silverspring Wed 20-May-15 20:21:59

It doesn't look like Russian Red or Ruby Woo to me but I'm only going on my skin and eye colour being similar.

It does look like Lipstick Queen Velvet Rope (again, on me) but that, sadly isn't under a tenner...if anyone knows of a decent dupe I'd be very grateful flowers

CFSKate Wed 20-May-15 22:25:34

I haven't seen it in RL, but online I've seen Limecrime Red Velvet, but apparently not in UK anymore.

Cocolepew Wed 20-May-15 22:32:44

I saw a thing in Buzzfeed and they recommended Revlon Really Red. Said its a matt blue/red lipstick to rival the quality of MAC, £6.99.

NomiMalone Wed 20-May-15 22:41:35

It doesn't look anything like Ruby Woo or Russian Red to me. They're both true reds. The red in the photo is much darker.

Looks a lot like NARS Terre De Feu to me photo

Ohbollocksandballs Wed 20-May-15 22:44:29

Kate moss rimmel 107

Silverspring Wed 20-May-15 23:01:43

Ick - I managed to get the name of the range rather than the name of the colour earlier - I think the photo is actually what I thought it was namely Lipstick Queen Velvet Rope Black Tie

HTH!

SirSpamalot Thu 21-May-15 09:23:25

Lots to look at. Thanks very much all.

TheHoundsBitch Thu 21-May-15 09:40:35

I think I must have thrown out that MUA lippy, sorry.

SilverBlur Thu 21-May-15 09:44:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now