Weekend in Barcelona

(29 Posts)
CrazyOldBagLady Fri 15-May-15 19:58:09

I have a weekend in Barcelona coming up in a couple of weeks and it's looking like the temperature will be in the early 20s.

Has anyone got any advice on tips for a suitable capsule wardrobe that would help a 30 something me look stylish and seasonal?

Any helpful travel tips wouldn't go amiss either! smile

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 21:11:53

Hard to say without knowing what size you are, what you'll be doing, what styles you like?

But I just bought these for my forthcoming holiday to Italy - 100% cotton so good in the heat, smart but comfortable for a summer city break, dressed down for daytime or up for evening... I got the cream and the blue.. Oops and the black for work grin

www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/trousers/smart/belted-trousers-c401020p2695059.html

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 21:17:14

Nice simple mostly cotton vest top

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 21:20:07

Love a crisp cotton white shirt as a cover up Can be styled really nicely..

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 21:22:15

Love this for day or night with a vest top

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 21:24:18

These are nice but maybe more for night as perhaps not comfy enough for walking all day

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 21:25:34

So what I do is tend to wear something at night then it gets relegated to daywear when its hot.. So the trousers on a night out the night I get there then more casually worn next day through the day...

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 21:26:40

Sorry for multiple posts but I can't flick between tabs on this iPad so need to copy and paste and link one at a time..

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 21:28:55

And my piece de resistance for looking stylish in the heat - my panama grin

CrazyOldBagLady Fri 15-May-15 21:47:04

God bless you HappyGirlNow! Thank you for the awesome style ideas. For what it's worth I'm a size 12 and slightly below average height at 5'4.

Seriously need to work a panama into my look.

A lot of the styles you have shown are with full length trousers or jeans which might be a bit hot?

Although I already have items that aren't too far from your first and second links.

Loving the sandals as well but I have quite wide feet that never look good in delicate strappy things (think a trussed up ham in string)

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:23:55

These are nice and a bit cropped

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:26:00

ok so shorter, I bought these shorts for Italy, v stylish for day or night grin

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:28:25

I have a hatred of strap marks so I love these tube tops - would wear them through the day with shorts and maybe take along the white shirt for if i needed to cover up.. And my Panama wink

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:29:40

Actually, loads of nice shorts in Zara

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:37:45

Bought this in white

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:40:49

I think Birkensocks are back in?

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:42:50

White leather converse?

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:47:13

Getting carried away grin I love Barcelona - am very jealous! Will you be going to the beach at all or keeping it like a city break?

Laquila Fri 15-May-15 22:53:05

Love that hat, HappyGirl. I have a non-foldable similar Panama-type hat from M&S but it's a bugger to travel with.

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:54:38

Aw I wear this every time I go away Laquila - it's gorgeous and well worth the money

HappyGirlNow Fri 15-May-15 22:58:01

I have these - practical but very pretty in real life

Laquila Fri 15-May-15 23:56:18

It's going on my birthday list, HappyGirl smile

I'm recc'ing this left right and centre at the mo - so much nicer IRL and doesn't crease. Looks great slightly tucked into jeans, black 7/8 trousers, and chino shorts (looks weirdly good with an electric blue pair I have):

m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/3-4-sleeve-non-iron-embellished-blouse/p/p22374043?colour=CoralMix

I'm a fan of harem trousers for warm hols - they travel well, are comfy, and can be dressed up or down. Also a fan of a long jersey maxi skirt and a jersey blazer (not necessarily work together) - the latter can smarten things up nicely without being too workish.

Shoes-wise I am unashamedly wedded to my Birkenstocks bit always take a flat metallic pair (New Look FTW!) and a much-beloved pair of gladiators from Clarks that just look like understated browniah fairly strapping flat sandals, but are actually ridiculously comfy and have more in common with walking sandals, I bought two pairs but they don't seen to do them anymore. Actually M&S has some gorgeous flat leather closed-toe/caged-toe sandals at the mo in tan or black - they were literally like walking on air.

I read a tip on Cup of Jo that might work for some people - only pack in one colour combo for a short holiday - all blues, with white accessories, or just monochrome with an accent colour, for example. I mainly do navy, khaki, cream and grey (or a variation on this) but actually it's harder on hols as so much "holiday stuff" is in brighter colours. Actually that's a good tip - try to avoid buying "holiday stuff" in overly bright colours - the chicest-looking people when you're on holiday always seem to be the ones who look at home there, in normal outfits rather than holiday hear! That totally contradicts my rec for the M&S pink and orange top, sorry.

Laquila Fri 15-May-15 23:57:43

Last 2/3 lines, holiday hear = holiday wear

P.S. I went to Barcelona last autumn, and whilst everyone was having a lovely time outside in bars and cafes, and being terribly Spanish about it, it wasn't a particularly stylish city IYKWIM. And all the better for it! ;)

Laquila Fri 15-May-15 23:59:29

m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/leather-strappy-sandals/p/p22378554

Not as fugly IRL, honest

HappyGirlNow Sat 16-May-15 00:09:05

Like the last sandals laquila grin like the M&S to put not keen on polyester in the heat - prefer natural fabric like cotton or silk or if am made, viscose which is breathable..

Totally agree with you re the colour palate... I tend to stick to neutrals and black and white that way everything goes together and together with the Panama ���� I always nicely co-ordinated. Just add the odd colour in and obvs that always goes with the neutrals...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now