Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Acid toners - which one?

(34 Posts)
Coastingit Fri 15-May-15 13:07:38

I know there's a huge thread but I can't face trawling through it! I have just had a baby (yay me) and so I'm allowed to use all sorts on my face again - it seemed inconclusive about glycolic acid in pregnancy and def no to salycilic, so I am now ready and raring to go.

I am 35 with dry skin and clogged pores. Use Nivea blue pot daily in winter, will soon shift to something lighter but my skin loves the Nivea. I cleanse twice with Elemis Rosepetal cream cleanser and splash it off with warm water. My skin is happy with this, hydrated and lines softened but I def need something to clear and brighten too. I always wear SPF30 or 50 too.

Liquid Gold? Bit pricey for me.

Clarins? Worried just paying for name.

Nip and Fab pads? What are pros and cons of these?

Pixi Glow? Think this might be best.

Generic brands like Bravura?

Anything else I should consider? Thank you skincare gurus! thanks

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 13:12:52

Hi Coastingit. Liquid Gold it a treatment, rather than an acid toner, so skip that for now, especially as it is strong to be starting off with.

Out of those ones I have tried Pixi Glow (did nothing for me. PH is not at a level that is effective for the acid to work, although a lot of people swear by it), Nip & Fab pads (quite liked these but they apparently have the wrong PH level as well) and Bravura. Really, really like Bravura and it's the only one I will repurchase. Glycolic is good for your skin type, and the Bravura Calendula one has glycolic and lactic.

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 13:13:25

Oh, and the Bravura PH level is within the 3 - 4 mark that means the acids will be able to work.

Coastingit Fri 15-May-15 13:22:00

Brilliant, thanks Nabootique.

This Bravura one then. You've sold it to me - will order.

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 13:30:23

That's the fella. I'd start off using it once a day at first, maybe even every other day if you're sensitive, before stepping it up.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 15-May-15 13:31:27

Interesting. <placemarks>

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 13:42:11

Are you in the market for one, Drink?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 15-May-15 13:45:02

Yes, I am! On the lookout for sth new to add to my beauty regime (that sounds wanky).

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 13:46:57

Not wanky at all. I have all the products (maybe I'm wanky). What's your skin type, budget and what do you already use?

BumbleNova Fri 15-May-15 16:42:23

I am also intrigued by acid toners... I'm 30, dry/dehydrated skin, I currently cleanse, then use vichy aqualia serum, a loreal paris face oil and then an avene moisteriser.

I had been eye-up the pixi glow so interesting to hear you didnt rate it?

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 16:56:34

I'm definitely in the minority Bumble, but I just don't notice any difference with it. I later read about the PH thing and thought that might be why. There are other nice ingredients in it and it's alcohol free so I so wanted to like it!

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 15-May-15 17:29:22

Sorry to derail - I didn't realise you were supposed to avoid certain beauty products when pregnant - is there a list anywhere?

EthelCardew Fri 15-May-15 17:57:35

Sorry to barge in with a question but is the Clinique mild clarifying lotion an acid toner? And is it effective?

Coastingit Fri 15-May-15 18:11:57

Nabootique - you are to faces what Statistically is to boobs grin

goodasitgets Fri 15-May-15 18:14:19

None scientific grin but pixi glow I used for a long time then tried the bravura and my face definitely tingled so would say it's stronger

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Fri 15-May-15 18:18:48

I think SR skincare do one that is cheapish. I have used their salicylic acid / mandelic acid peel and the rejuvenating moisturiser which I like.

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 18:57:08

curtains here you go www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc

Ethel yes it is. I've not used it myself but I've heard good things.

Thanks Coastingit grin

Twilight I haven't used the peels because I use liquid gold a couple of times a week but like the salicylic 5% despite the high alcohol content and the hyaluronic serum. I'll definitely try more from them. So cheap!

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 19:05:44

What are you using now goodasitgets? Your skin is fab! I've seen the pictures you've posted on other threads.

Coastingit Fri 15-May-15 19:10:13

This is a slippery slope...

The SR skincare hyaluronic serum - would this be good for overnight, with a face oil on top...? So cleanse, then the acid toner, then the serum and oil instead of a moisturiser?

Trying to get a better regime but on quite a tight budget.

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 19:23:51

Sorry, didn't mean to be a bad influence!

Hyaluronic acid needs water to work. It basically sucks water into the top layers of the skin and plumps it out, so it would be directly before moisturiser.

At night I put oil on last as the molecules are biggest, so this works best in terms of absorbsion and as you won't be putting make up on it's okay as the last layer. Moisturiser before that, serum before that.

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 15-May-15 21:17:44

Thanks nabootique smile

goodasitgets Fri 15-May-15 21:27:39

For acid or in general? grin
Acid toners I alternate pixi glow and bravura but I'm tempted to try the clearasil pads CH recommended
My budget is small and TK maxx (supplier of 99% of my skin care) doesn't have any acid toners sad

Nabootique Fri 15-May-15 21:45:38

I've got the clearasil ones but I find the actual pad quite rough. I couldn't use them every day, but I think good for alternating.

EthelCardew Fri 15-May-15 21:54:52

Thanks Nabootique!

I never had any trouble as a teenager and now my skin is a dry/sensitive/reactive/zitty mess. I try to sort it out testing out different products but it usually ends in a painful rash.

I've got the Clinique one but I'm only using it every 2-3 days.

U2TheEdge Fri 15-May-15 22:01:15

Just bought the Bravura because I really don't need more products.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now