Talk

Advanced search

Silk pillow case

(26 Posts)
cuntyMcCunterson Fri 15-May-15 00:50:09

Does anyone use a silk pillow case?
Been doing some googling and apparently they're meant to stop you waking up with wild hair and helps your skin look better and with more oomph, or something along those lines
Is this another gimmick? Does it have to be silk or is satin just as good?

SteamyMcDreamy Fri 15-May-15 00:55:37

I have one and I love it. Not sure it has improved my skin but I love the feel of it against my face.

cuntyMcCunterson Fri 15-May-15 01:10:07

Does it keep you cool? I'm obsessed with having a cold head/face and even have special "cold pillow" for if I get too hot

Trumpton Fri 15-May-15 02:15:44

I have one from lilysilk. I love it and really missed it while I was away. I don't think it makes any difference to my skin or hair but it's lovely against my skin.
Not sure it's any cooler but certainly feels nicer than poly cotton.

I fling mine in washing machine with the rest of the bedding and tumble it as well. Does not seem to bother it at all ��

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 15-May-15 02:27:15

I have a silk pillow and pillowcase from Soak and Sleep Been using them for years.

Makes a huge difference to keeping head cool and also hair less wild and no creased face in the mornings.

(15% off at the moment too!)

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 15-May-15 02:30:23

silk pillowcases

MadisonMontgomery Fri 15-May-15 09:12:45

Don't know if it makes any difference but it feels lovely!

MarniRose Fri 15-May-15 09:27:17

I have one from John Lewis and it's nice and cool to sleep on

mowglik Fri 15-May-15 09:45:59

I have a couple I rotate and wash and treat like my other bedding.

When I don't use them i def notice my nl line is more pronounced..not sure about hair though

JoanHickson Fri 15-May-15 09:47:33

I love mine.

I am looking at attempting to make some. I just need to find a good fabric supplier.

cuntyMcCunterson Fri 15-May-15 10:44:50

Thank you. Sounds like it's worth buying and see how I like it.

Frostycake Fri 15-May-15 11:05:43

Yes, I've used them for the last five years, together with a silk sleep mask and they do make a difference, not just to your skin's moisture retention but also to the smoothness of your hair.

FozzieMK Fri 15-May-15 11:17:19

I've also been using them for years and have now started to take them on holiday because of the difference they make to my hair and skin if I don't use them. I got them from TK Maxx so they were also a bargain.

33goingon64 Fri 15-May-15 11:17:53

Satin not the same as it's synthetic therefore sweaty

Khalinda Fri 15-May-15 12:52:36

I've got John Lewis ones. They feel wonderful to sleep on and even my DH loves using them. They are expensive ( I think £40 each ) but they wash at 40 degrees in with everything else. I find it "difficult" (slight exaggeration there) to sleep on cotton pillow cases now <<spoiled>>

I don't know about the beauty aspects of them (still look rough in the morning!)

Chottie Fri 15-May-15 17:37:48

I have the JL ones too. They are wonderful, smooth shiny hair and an uncreased face in the morning

BillyBigchin Fri 15-May-15 18:49:50

I have one.

It definitely makes a difference to my curly hair. It does feel cool when you first lay on it but warms up.

EBearhug Fri 15-May-15 20:00:14

Satin not the same as it's synthetic therefore sweaty
Satin is the weave, and can be made of synthetic fibres like nylon or polyester, but also from silk.

I have silk satin pillow cases, and they're lovely. Don't think my skin is really any better with it, but I do like sleeping on them. (When I went travelling round the world, the one luxury I took was silk pyjamas. Oh, and a silk sleeping bag liner... I'm afraid quite a lot of caterpillars have died for my bedding.)

IamTheWhoreofBabylon Fri 15-May-15 20:03:20

Ive been after silk pillowcases after reading about them on here a while back
Can you get them without the £40 price tag?

JenniMoo Sat 16-May-15 05:40:15

I'd really like one for DD's curly hair but can't spend that much either. I might look out for some fabric to make one....

cuntyMcCunterson Sat 16-May-15 07:47:22

I've been looking on eBay and found this that I'm currently watching while I still search
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Natural-16-Momme-Charmeuse-Silk-Pillow-case-Ivory-/131066751599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e842fea6f
Wonder if it would be ok?

maybemyrtle Sat 16-May-15 08:30:40

Love mine, it definitely makes a difference to my unruly hair in the morning. I take it on overnight work trips too. Not sure about face, my skin's fairly smooth anyway. Mine came from either eBay or amazon and were around £20 I think, but are probably not John Lewis quality. I am thinking of making another one in a weightier silk.

JoanHickson Sat 16-May-15 09:56:43

Maybe, seeing as you are so frugal with the sourcing, please link to your fabric supplier.

EBearhug Sat 16-May-15 22:06:44

They may be the ones I got, in which case, they are okay, but I can't be sure if they were those. It's roughly what I spent, though.

cuntyMcCunterson Sun 17-May-15 03:59:18

I ended up getting these ones
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/360360610923?nav=SEARCH
Didn't want to spend too much invade I didn't like it but I may invest in a more expensive one if I like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now