MN Jury, what nail colour would you wear with this dress?

(28 Posts)
JeanBillie Wed 13-May-15 20:52:47

Hello, I'm wearing this dress to a wedding at the weekend. The colour is a light turquoise/almost mint green. I've got gold and turquoise bracket and necklace and wearing tan heels. What colour would you wear on your fingers and toes?

I'm mixed race so my colouring is mid brown with dark Afro hair - think Beyoncé (sadly I do not actually look like Beyoncé! grin). I have no idea what's on trend for nails... Thanks

AwkwardSquad Wed 13-May-15 20:59:12

Ooh, that's hard... I'm finding myself drawn towards a nice bright coral.

AnyFucker Wed 13-May-15 21:00:08

navy

JeanBillie Wed 13-May-15 21:16:58

Ooh, thank you. Coral is a colour I often use on the rare occasions I can be arsed. Definitely on my list, thank you.

Now navy I have never worn. I like the sound of it. I'm slightly critical of shiny bright blue shades as they can look a bit cadaver-like. But navy blue on short fingernails... that could be great. Two great contenders smile.

AnyFucker Wed 13-May-15 21:18:56

navy would look great with your skin tone

JeanBillie Wed 13-May-15 21:25:31

Thank you. Just google imaged navy nails - I like what I see star

AnyFucker Wed 13-May-15 21:27:28

ooh, yes, great high gloss navy

very classy grin

yetanotherchangename Wed 13-May-15 21:29:50

Not navy - everyone will look at your nails and not your gorgeous outfit. Go neutral - coral, pearly, etc.

JeanBillie Wed 13-May-15 21:38:46

Glad you like the outfit, yetanother, thank you!

OK, another vote for coral. I've never liked pearly... not sure why. I can appreciate it would match nicely but don't think I'll easily convert, somehow!

burnishedsilver Wed 13-May-15 21:55:24

Green?

myknickersknackersknockers Wed 13-May-15 22:01:42

I was going to say coral but love that navy too

JeanBillie Wed 13-May-15 22:02:17

That does look pretty on her hands. But would it be overkill? I wonder...

burnishedsilver Wed 13-May-15 22:08:23

It's something different. I just thought it might make a nice change from the usual colours. I'm not sure I'd do it on both the fingers and toes. I'd do it on one and a french polish on the other.

yetanotherchangename Wed 13-May-15 22:10:19

Agree with burnished silver. Aqua on the toes and frenchie (or pearly natural if your nails are v short) on the hands.

yetanotherchangename Wed 13-May-15 22:11:04

Sorry, see you don't like pearly. A natural buff colour then.

Carpaccio Wed 13-May-15 23:19:45

I think something like Essie Cute as a Button would be nice. It's a nice coral.
Essie Tart Deco is lighter and more orange and it is also very nice.

Or something like Mac Soiree, which is a rose gold/light bronze gold.

If you're into matte nails, these colours look brilliant with a matte topcoat on top too. They also look great together if you're into nail art.

Yes, I was going to say go matte with pastels, it looks great. It would also look good with the navy. I don't like pearl either, but love matte topcoat, there are a few out there now, I was looking at them in Boots today.

I would do nude on fingers and colour on toes or vice versa, not matching and not contrasting.

suzib Thu 14-May-15 00:07:12

Sunbleached vinylux or in shellac smile

polyhymnia Thu 14-May-15 00:12:02

Nude. Though navy would look good.

JeanBillie Thu 14-May-15 07:41:23

I love all these suggestions; it makes me want to make more effort over the summer. Have never posted on Style & Beauty before - a revelation, thank you all! I'm going to google some of the later suggestions but I have to say I was won over early by navy! Will let you know smile

ConnortheMonkey Thu 14-May-15 07:44:58

Gosh that is a hard one. I was thinking a shimmery pearl colour or gold. If you're not a fan of shimmery colours maybe a grey with green tones like the grey here (ignore the blue nail!)

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 14-May-15 09:01:27

Oh I love a nail varnish thread. I'm obsessed with it.
If you're wearing silver accessories then wear silver glitter nail varnish
If you're wearing gold accessories wear gold glitter nail varnish
Or a nice light pink would be nice or even a French manicure.

polyhymnia Thu 14-May-15 10:24:36

Still think nude top choice. Navy would also work well as would silver, but neither too sparkly which IMO doesn't look classy, specially for a formal occasion rather than the beach.

Grey is my long time favourite. I have Chanel Frenzy which is a lightish grey so good for spring. Also love Essie Chinchilly grey which is good with blues and delicate greens like yours.
I personally loathe coral, on myself and others, though I know it's very popular at the moment. And I wouldn't try to match the pretty green of the dress.

AnyFucker Thu 14-May-15 12:16:35

Do I get a prize if op goes with navy ?

FWIW, I think coral was a "fashionable " colour last summer that looks a bit dated this year

and pastel/shimmery colours are too wishy washy with that dress which is a delicate colour itself

JeanBillie Thu 14-May-15 20:54:45

Thanks everyone! AnyFucker you get the magnificent prize of five gold stars starstarstarstarstar

Yes, navy blue nails and toes. Here's a pic with bracelet, and dress as backdrop. Don't think any hand modelling agencies will be hunting me down! But I'm happy with what I've got for the wedding, and I have some great colours to try out over the summer. Thanks again everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now