We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best fashion films?

(20 Posts)
Thisishowyoudisappear Tue 12-May-15 16:29:24

Just re-watching The September Issue while doing the ironing and I'm really enjoying it. Also recently watched Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's which was good fun, and Bill Cunningham: New York, which was great but not really about fashion as such. I was wondering if anyone has any fave fashion/style films?

Recommendations please!

Darkchocsprinkles Tue 12-May-15 18:46:41

Dior and I is very good. I have also heard good things about the Diana Vreeland one.

ZaraW Tue 12-May-15 19:16:54

Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face
The Yves St. Laurent film
The documentary on Karl Lagerfeld which is a good few years old but well worth watching.
The documentary on Chanel interviewing the lady who is about 80 who makes tweed for them the only person who has that skill but prefers her horses to fashion and the couturiers who make up Karl Lagerfeld's designs they are v. down to earth women well worth a look.

ZaraW Tue 12-May-15 19:18:16

The Diana Vreeland is good as well.

BikeRunSki Tue 12-May-15 19:19:47

The Devil Wears Prada ? Possibly a bit too mainstream and not fadhiony enough.

southeastastra Tue 12-May-15 19:20:38

this was on sky arts the other day In vogue the editors eye

went through each vogue editor, was really good

burnishedsilver Tue 12-May-15 19:23:48

The Devil wears Prada. Meryl Streep is fantastic, as always.

Brookville Tue 12-May-15 19:53:22

The Chanel one with Audrey Tatou.

ZaraW Tue 12-May-15 20:12:47

The Fashion Fund is good you can watch it on You Tube it's a competition for young designers funded by Vogue and the Fashion Institute of America. Previous winners have been Rag and Bone so the calibre of contenders is high.

KittyB52 Tue 12-May-15 20:17:44

Zoolander? grin

Clueless, for Cher's electronic wardrobe and crazy tartan. smile It's not 'about' fashion but there's plenty of fashion in it (eg massive dilemma re appropriate outfit for driving test etc!).

And the transformation of Audrey Hin, 'My Fair Lady' which has some amazing costumes.

DD1 likes the Chanel one, but I've not seen it.

Audrey Hin? Who's she? smile

Audrey H IN

Leviticus Tue 12-May-15 20:36:17

That link doesn't work for me Southeast, what was it called?

Tizwailor Tue 12-May-15 20:44:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thisishowyoudisappear Tue 12-May-15 20:58:20

Thanks everyone, great suggestions. I loved that Lagerfeld film, would be great to see that again. I'll check out the tweed, the fashion fund and the Vogue editors. I've seen Zoolander and Devil Wears Prada a few times!

I also love films in which a character undergoes any sort of makeover or transformation.

HappyGirlNow Wed 13-May-15 08:44:53

Not about fashion but I love the styling in Blue Jasmine..

Sgtmajormummy Wed 13-May-15 09:08:53

Not fashion, but personal expression through clothes, I loved Sally Hawkins in Happy-go-Lucky by Mike Leigh. She charms everybody and her clothes are only part of it. Her driving instructor/admirer/stalker's rant about how she abuses her charm had me in tears. What sort, I don't know...

MilkThistle187 Wed 13-May-15 10:21:44

The Last Emperor is fantastic, it's about Valentino

Sgtmajormummy Wed 13-May-15 11:22:04

For men's fashion: A Single Man. Tom Forde's style in accessories and furniture too. I can remember hardly anything about the plot, except that Colin Firth is a gay professor in the 50's and commits suicide.
On a lighter note, Muriel's Wedding is great for dresses and cheap tarty looks! Her FACE when she walks down the aisle! grin

Terramirabilis Wed 13-May-15 21:25:58

My favourite, favourite film: Hors de Prix (Priceless). A film from about ten years ago made in France with Audrey Tautou and the comedian Gad Elmaleh. It's basically tart-with-a-heart falls for penniless good guy on the Riviera. Lush costumes and scenery. Loadsa Chanel, Prada, Dior etc. Put it this way, if your dream vacation is never leaving the confines of a luxury hotel this is perfect for you. But the plot and acting are genuinely good. Not just pretty to look at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now