Talk

Advanced search

help re clothes sizes

(7 Posts)
xalyssx Tue 12-May-15 08:33:47

Hello smile I have recently lost a bit of weight and I am finding it difficult working out what size I am now. My usual size 12 jeans pook out at the back but are comfy, and when I went into tesco I tried on some size 6 shorts that fit (although I think they were mis-sized) so I am rather confused! My measurements are 35 bust, 29 waist and 36 hips as measured by my nan. I have a little wobbly squishy belly too. Does anyone know what size I should be trying please? Thanks smile

xalyssx Tue 12-May-15 08:42:18

I just measured my waist again and got 26 inches.

flanjabelle Tue 12-May-15 08:49:07

Honestly they vary so much from shop to shop there really isn't an answer to this question. I would pick up the clothes that look about right and try a size each way too. Go by fit, not the label.

flanjabelle Tue 12-May-15 08:50:22

for example, I am a 12/14 in most shops now I have lost weight but I'm a 10 in next. But other shops I still can't fit into a 16?! It doesn't make any sense!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 12-May-15 11:34:45

I agree, it varies massively from shop to shop. And sometimes even from garment to garment. Gap trousers and shorts are bonkers - I have a pair that are UK size 6 (so US 2!!) which I am most definitely not.

If it helps, I am usually a size smaller in Next, M&S, Gap and most posh brands than I would be in say Oasis or Warehouse. Top Shop and other more teenage shops I find smaller still (so I need bigger sizes again).

Does that help at all? Maybe just pick up the same item in a couple of sizes and ask the assistant to get you different sizes if you're way off.

LtheWife Tue 12-May-15 11:50:36

I use this website as a starting point when shopping online. I find it's generally good but if something is obviously a looser fit in the photos I order a size down too just in case.

I wish more websites would use the truefit system where you tell it what size you are in a brand you know fits (tops, trousers, jeans or dresses) and it tells you what size you need from them. It's worked every time for me so far.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 12-May-15 13:02:49

That website suggests I'd need a size 12 top at Next whereas I fit an 8 shock A 12 would be enormous on me.

Dressipi estimates your sizes I think? But you need to know what size you are somewhere first iirc? It's pretty spot on for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now