Talk

Advanced search

What to wear for a day out at the races?

(10 Posts)
kaymondo Mon 11-May-15 19:45:13

Just that really! We're going on ladies day, champagne enclosure, great excuse to get glammed up and I've always wanted an excuse to buy a really big hat. On the other hand I don't want to look like some reject from TOWIE! What would people recommend for an elegant race outfit, without looking too old/stuffy?

I'm 5.6, size 12, pear shaped with a terrible stomach (bad c section overhang so can look pg if I'm not careful or don't wear the right support underwear!

Any thoughts as to where to start? Budget isn't really an issue. Thanks!

Pantsalive Tue 12-May-15 11:59:06

How about something like this fabulous dress, a fifties-inspired hat, nude shoes and a cropped jacket, if you need a cover up. Or more extravagant headwear here (available in about 65 colours!).

Alternatively, start with this bargain of a dress, and see where you go from there.

I went a few years ago and had a brilliant time, so I'm sure you'll have a great day but do find something you feel very happy wearing, including your hat. We saw some people that obviously weren't.

(I thought I'd posted all this last night but I was on the iPad and it obviously didn't do its thing. )

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 12-May-15 14:22:17

They have gorgeous elegant dresses in simply be ranging from size 12.

kaymondo Tue 12-May-15 16:53:20

Thanks both!

Pantsalive, I love that dress/hat combo and John Lewis is on my list of places to go to look! I definitely want to be comfortable, but also want the hat to be the focus of the outfit iyswim!

Pantsalive Tue 12-May-15 18:08:48

So glad you like them. I was rather pleased. It's a bit hard to tell how big the hat is but I thought it was very elegant. JL did have a couple of other neutral toned hats that may be larger if you wanted more of a showstopper.

I wore a lovely vintage feathered hairband when we went, as my hair was really short, but it wouldn't be allowed now. I felt very happy in it, especially when it got a bit windy. smile

Happy shopping! Do let us know what you get.

Runningupthathill82 Tue 12-May-15 21:30:39

Which races, and when? Because IME there's a big difference between, say, York in July and Doncaster in September.

The former is more light, flippy, chiffon summer dresses with big hats and sandals.

The latter is more structured autumnal clothes, heels, fancy headpieces. Still, that's just my experience.

kaymondo Wed 13-May-15 09:39:44

Oooh that's interesting runningupthathill! It's Chester races in June.

Karbea Wed 13-May-15 09:42:12

I would always wear wedges --or flats--to the races as otherwise you'll look silly struggling to walk on the grass.

Yes to flats or wedges, there's a lot of standing around, walking on grass etc.

kaymondo Thu 14-May-15 16:36:51

So I've been shopping today and bought this dress:-

http://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/CATINA-Cascading-floral-midi-dress-Black/p/114712-00-BLACK

And a hat very similar to this one:-
http://ladies-wedding-hats.co.uk/store/products/fuschia-pink-wedding-hat/

(The fuschia one, not the one at the top)

Just got to get shoes and a bag now - either nude or black I think, but leaning towards nude to lighten things up as the dress is relatively dark.

So a successful day shopping even with a grumpy 2 year old in tow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now