Anyone use a waterpik instead of flossing?

(15 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 11-May-15 11:16:21

My teeth suddenly seem to have got really yellow, inbetween my teeth rather than the main tooth surface.

I've always flossed. Have bought some dentastixks which are like little wire brushes but they don't seem to make a difference.

I've never used an electric toothbrush. Would I be better off buying an electric toothbrush or a waterpik?

Thisishowyoudisappear Mon 11-May-15 11:18:49

My hygienist said they are only good if your teeth are relatively wide apart, mine are very close together so she told me not to bother.

An electric toothbrush would be a better buy I reckon.

daftyburd Mon 11-May-15 11:54:40

Electric toothbrush. I've had both. The waterpik was handy when my braces were in but I still had that yellow look.
My toothbrush is great. Bought it when the braces came off. Teeth feel properly clean but still floss.
I am going to try oil pulling with coconut oil. Allegedly it's marvellous for teeth. If it doesn't work I can still use on ends of hair and body.

MsBojangles Mon 11-May-15 12:32:29

Electric toothbrush and Tepe brushes are more effective than a waterpik.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 11-May-15 15:30:45

Great, will,get a toothbrush. Thanks.

VeganCow Mon 11-May-15 15:41:17

I use an electric toothbrush and this as flossing is such a faff and I cannot get the smallest Tepe brushes between my teeth. Its as good as a waterpik I believe and much cheaper.

ZaraW Mon 11-May-15 15:44:20

a waterpik isn't a substitute for flossing they should be used together.

PatriciaHolm Mon 11-May-15 15:54:03

My dental hygienist recommends flossing picks, electric toothbrush and a waterpik, as they have different effects!

I have a panasonic toothbrush and THIS BEAUTY and my teeth look clean and feel all smooth and shiney. works for me as I have trouble with actual floss and brushes as the gaps in my teeth seem very narrow. I have not had a polish at the dentists for a couple of years when she used to offer one every visit.

senrensareta Mon 11-May-15 19:16:38

I have a Sonicare toothbrush and it is amazing. People keep asking if I've had my teeth whitened! grin

My Waterpik on the other hand is hopeless, I just can't master it. By the time I've filled it, got it started, soaked my face, my top and the mirror yet still haven't flossed my teeth I give up!

Rohey Mon 11-May-15 20:53:44

Just recently purchased a waterpik.. Always used a sonic toothbrush but I've found food getting stuck in my teeth and constant use of floss and tooth picks was causing bleeding gums ��.. Much prefer the waterpik, quick and easy and teeth feel smooth and free of food ��...

EmGee Mon 11-May-15 21:00:08

I was at the dentist's today. He was amazed I used those inter-dental brushes (which my last dentist advised) as my teeth are so close together. He recommended a waterpik. So I'm off to purchase one!

Mini05 Mon 11-May-15 21:50:48

I've got a waterpik, can't use it for the life of me!
The water goes everywhere

Is there a knack on how to use it???? I must of had it for 5 years it's stuck in the draw.

flumperoo Mon 11-May-15 22:08:28

Can interdental brushes be used as a replacement for floss, seeing that they only clean between the teeth at the base, rather than along the whole side of each tooth?

VeganCow Mon 11-May-15 22:58:49

Mini05. There's a knack. Lean over the sink and keep your lips drawn over your teeth as you do it, letting the water just flood out at the sides.Watch some YouTube videos. It's easy once you have done it a couple of times and water only goes down the sink not all over the mirror and walls!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now