What can you do with coconut oil?

(22 Posts)
milkyman Sat 09-May-15 09:47:59

Any ideas and where can you buy it? Is it with buying?

milkyman Sat 09-May-15 09:48:17

worth

ShimmeringSunset Sat 09-May-15 09:59:10

I'd love to know what people do with it too!

i put it on my hair once and was left with a total greasy mess that took days to wash out!

QueenBean Sat 09-May-15 10:20:25

Marking place! Would love to know too!

Amethyst24 Sat 09-May-15 10:44:01

I put a tiny bit on my hair after washing and before blow drying - like half a teaspoon, just rubbed through the lengths and ends. It makes it super soft and non frizzy but does smell v coconutty!

mowglik Sat 09-May-15 10:44:01

You can use it in place of body lotion, facial hot cloth type cleanser, facial oil, weight loss (2 tablespoons a day), and oil pulling for whiter teeth

mowglik Sat 09-May-15 10:44:44

Oh and hair oil, just use a tiny bit between your palms and kind of smooth it on between flat palms

DarylDixonsDarlin Sat 09-May-15 10:50:54

I can't use my giant jar for much at all, its far too greasy for me. Have tried it on my face, body and hair, just sits on top of my skin and weighs down my fine hair. The children put it on their scrapes, scratches and eczema patches but I think the effect is more of a placebo for them. The only thing I found it good for was as a barrier cream when littlest was still in nappies.

I would like to make a few recipes I've seen online, using coconut oil as they look pretty yum, but we've all had our hands in this jar so I wont be using this for cooking, and tbh i doubt ill buy another confused

Pumpkinette Sat 09-May-15 10:58:19

Moisturiser,
oil face cleanser,
Leave in hair treatment,
Mix with salt to make foot scrub,
Mix with brown sugar to make body scrub.

It can also be used to treat thrush or fungal nail infections.

LadyintheRadiator Sat 09-May-15 11:01:00

I use it on my hair, leave it for a few hours then wash out; in place of shaving gel; as a cleanser; and as a moisturiser.

DurhamDurham Sat 09-May-15 11:03:04

I rub it through my hair before I have a shower and wash my hair, I try to leave it on for five mins of so, I have wavy/curly hair and it does make it shiny and soft with less frizz.

I put it on my dry elbows and knees, it isn't eczema just dry patches and it does make a difference.

I can't use it on my face as I got spotty the last time I did it.

The best use I've found is I take it a jar on holiday and leave it in the fridge. After a hot day to come back and have a shower and then slather coconut oil all over is lovely, it really feels like it hydrates you skin.

I don't cook with it, my 21 year old dd does and she enjoys the flavour. I think it makes everything look greasy.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 09-May-15 11:13:23

Hair conditioner
Cuticle and nail treatment
Face and body moisturiser
Oil pulling
Cooking

It's fab stuffsmile

raawwhh Sat 09-May-15 17:42:20

General moisturiser - it works particularly well on my stretchmarks I do feel a bit like a basted turkey about to do a slip-n-slide

Mix with apple cider vinegar - coat on blocked pores, leave for 5 mins and wash off, twice a week to get loosen blocked pores.

Add to dead sea salt bath to get soft skin

Warm up and comb through hair, wrap in cling film, leave for an hour, wash as normal - silky hair

Wipe on vulva when I had unidentified vaginal itching with no medical cause - cleared it up.

Chaffy rashes caused by weight gain, heavy boobs, sweating

Apparently its great for breast feeding nipples

You can obviously eat it.

raawwhh Sat 09-May-15 17:42:57

And oil pulling

CointreauVersial Sat 09-May-15 17:44:32

I'm afraid I just use mine for cooking. smile

RiojaHaze Sat 09-May-15 17:44:54

It takes stubborn mascara off brilliantly.

Alwaysrushingaround Sat 09-May-15 17:49:08

Is it better to use the oil in a bottle then rather than the one in the tub which is quite hard and 'set' for want of a better description...
I tried using the tub version as a leave in conditioner on my hair ( i warmed it up in my hands first so it was liquid iykwim )and like a pp, it took about 5 washes to remove it and it did nothing for my hair.
What could I use the tub version for?

OneStepCloser Sat 09-May-15 17:55:43

I heard about the two tablespoons a day to help weight loss, is there a way of taking it not neat? Its too oily for me to stomach.

BehindEveryCloud Sat 09-May-15 17:56:39

I've used it over the last year in place of bath soap for baby (his skin is sensitive and mild eczema)

Can get it in most supermarkets, health food shops etc. Majority of the time I get from Tesco for convenience. They've started doing Tesco own brand Fairtrade version which works out slightly cheaper than the Groovy or Vito brands, unless they're on offer (although Tesco one feels a little grainy when cool but melts fine). Go for organic [extra] virgin - raw/cold pressed IRC

BehindEveryCloud Sat 09-May-15 17:58:20

Oh, agree with mascara removal! grin

BehindEveryCloud Sat 09-May-15 18:00:32

OneStepCloser you could add it to smoothies? Recently went through a phase of having green smoothies in mornings and they're addictive! Although I didn't add coconut oil, many recipes mention it.

You can use it in cooking. It's apparently better at high temperatures compared to other oils.

authoritynutrition.com/why-is-coconut-oil-good-for-you/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now