How to clear up a spotty bottom

(29 Posts)
allovertheworld Thu 07-May-15 19:46:52

Just that really. Have always had a few pimples around my bottom (cheeks) , recently got quite bad. Could be hormones I suppose as am breastfeeding feeding but just wondered if anyone can recommend products/strategies to clear them up.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 07-May-15 19:48:16

Buffy the Backside Slayer? (Lush)

SwingingBalls Thu 07-May-15 19:49:01

I regularly buff with one of those sponges that are soft on one side and rough on the other. I then apply plenty of moisturiser.

You could try body brushing as well.

321zerobaby Thu 07-May-15 20:11:56

Drink more water, take a course of probiotics.

Nabootique Thu 07-May-15 20:30:56

I always exfoliated mine but it didn't help until I started doing it with a microfibre flannel. Amazing results. You can get packs cheaply on Amazon, although they are sometimes referred to as dish cloths!

allovertheworld Thu 07-May-15 20:35:35

Ah yes I used to brush and sometimes scrub before DC arrived and my beauty routines were chopped.

Interested in probiotics suggestion 321, as DS1 (3) has also stared getting wee spots around his bum and recently had a fungal infection. Is there a link with gut health etc and bottom skin? ( there's a sentence I never thought I'd type)

MonoNoAware Thu 07-May-15 20:37:30

Could it be your shampoo? Over the course of about 4 months, I noticed lots of spots on my back and a significant worsening of the dry, itchy, spotty skin I am prone to getting on my upper arms. It finally dawned on me that it might be the tea tree oil shampoo I had switched to in a fit of paranoid about nits

Within about 3 days of switching shampoo my arms had stopped itching and the spots on my back were noticeably reduced. Another week or so and I was back to normal.

I felt a bit stupid for not making the connection earlier...

Findingpeace Thu 07-May-15 20:44:04

I second microfibre flannels! Please try it. It worked wonders for me. I didn't have spots but my cheeks were rough like I had goosebumps all the time. They are now silky soft! So are my elbows and feet by the way smile

MamaLazarou Thu 07-May-15 21:09:01

It could be folliculitis, in which case a short course of antibiotics will clear it up in a jiffy. Please don't use harsh exfoliating scrubs on the spots.

321zerobaby Thu 07-May-15 21:48:20

Not just bottom skin, there is a link between gut health and all skin.

allovertheworld Thu 07-May-15 21:51:58

Yes i suppose there would be in terms of good health overall = better skin. Just wondered about bottoms specifically as my skin is generally good everywhere else (as is DS's).

Will investigate microfibre flannels.

Saurus72 Thu 07-May-15 22:07:44

Maybe try La Roche Posay face wash - has worked wonders on my face

Saurus72 Thu 07-May-15 22:08:33

Sorry, meant to say Effaclar Duo

SnotQueen Thu 07-May-15 22:09:56

Microfibre cloths like you get in the supermarket cleaning aisle?

QueenBean Thu 07-May-15 22:14:58

Watching with interest

Zerobaby can you explain more about the gut and skin health combo please?

cerealqueen Thu 07-May-15 22:30:38

Scrub and sudocrem, sorted.

helloelo Thu 07-May-15 23:05:14

oh... I'm interested blush
not sure I understood the microfibre flannels thing, surely, it can't be the same things as the ones I use for cleaning my bathroom?! Would something like this work? Isn't it too soft?

Nabootique Fri 08-May-15 08:06:29

Bravura do a fancy flannel, but it's basically these

Nabootique Fri 08-May-15 08:06:53

Like I said, they call them dishcloths, but they're so much more!

SnotQueen Fri 08-May-15 11:38:31

Excellent thanks Naboo

I just hope I don't get confused and Cillit Bang my arse confused

RavioliOnToast Fri 08-May-15 12:57:43

it might be just hormones, I had a horrible spotty bum while pregnant and within 2 weeks of giving birth they'd gone xx

paxtecum Fri 08-May-15 13:41:29

I do an all over (except face) salt scrub once a week, but probably a bit harsh for spots.

At the end of my daily shower, I have a blast of cold water, then hot, cold, hot and end with cold. Supposed to improve lymph circulation.

Littlepumpkinpie Fri 08-May-15 14:31:47

No ones mentioned this one and it's a problem I have which is label rubbing and tickling the skin causing me to scratch. Another problem is o can only tolerate cotton next to my bottom. I use sudacrem on the spotty botty when the appear.

allovertheworld Sat 09-May-15 09:39:42

Wow I think this is the longest thread I have ever started...Thanks for suggestions all, have begun using OCT on my bottom as on face. Feel crazy doing it but it's the only bit of my body not saggy from two DC so would like it to be it's best.

GiniCooper Sat 09-May-15 09:58:34

Just a thought, I see you're breastfeeding. By any chance do you have a cover on your mattress?
I'm only asking because the same thing happened me. I fed in bed but had a protective sheet between the bed sheet and the mattress because I was prone to leakage.

Anyway, it clicked with me that I was sweating more and I took the cover off and had no problems after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now