Talk

Advanced search

Dressing code for informal weekday party

(8 Posts)
whereismagic Wed 06-May-15 12:47:41

What do people wear in counties with old money for "not a very smart buffet lunch"? We are invited on a weekday for a small birthday celebration of a distant relative. A jersey dress, fitted cardi and flat shoes?

polyhymnia Wed 06-May-15 12:50:34

Sounds perfect to me. (Know such a family).

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Wed 06-May-15 17:09:20

Yes, that sounds spot on

whereismagic Wed 06-May-15 18:10:23

The problem is I don't own a dress. I got rather slack and all my occasion wear is trousers and jeans. What shops should I look in? Not Boden or Jcrew, I expect. East? Monsoon? Print or no print?

whereismagic Wed 06-May-15 18:11:21

Oh, and thank you. blush

whereismagic Wed 06-May-15 18:17:55

Something like that: http://www.east.co.uk/mobile/abigail-pleat-dress-blue/ ?

polyhymnia Wed 06-May-15 18:19:28

Actually the women in the family like that which know wear a good deal of Boden, including prints - though the more restrained, not the wacky or 'fun' ones! So probably worth a look online. I think in general a nice print would be OK.
I've never seen anything in East I haven't found frumpy but Monsoon worth a look, as is J Crew and, probably, Hobbs. L K Bennett I would say are too 'occasion wear' oriented for this particular event.

whereismagic Wed 06-May-15 18:55:02

I never bought anything there but I seem to remember there is always a branch in towns in areas like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now