Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else struggle with Bravissimo Loose wires?

(24 Posts)
VacantExpression Tue 05-May-15 18:14:21

I've got two bras not yet a year old that I've paid £30+ for in bravissimo and a wire has escaped from each. I was measured last summer and bought five in total and expected them at that price to last me ages.

Is this a common fault?

AmandaTanen Tue 05-May-15 18:18:24

Have you been washing them in the machine or hand washing? It happens more often in the machine and I think the care label will say hand wash only.

VacantExpression Tue 05-May-15 18:21:25

I machine wash but on delicate cycle blush

MangoJuggler Tue 05-May-15 18:21:33

If you do wash in machine pop in a pillowcase to baffle the agitation

f1fan2001 Tue 05-May-15 18:48:20

I have the same problem but they are supposed to be hand wash and I do bung them in the washer. I just stuff the wire back in and sew up the hole.

Flossyfloof Tue 05-May-15 18:53:22

i know this doesn't solve the basic issue but you can buy things which you push over the ends of the wires to help stop them poking through, once they already have done, iyswim. I can't remember the name, will rack my brains. I found my Rigby and Peller ones bad for this but unfortunately the tubes the wires were in were very narrow so I couldn't use them.

Flossyfloof Tue 05-May-15 18:53:46

With expensive bras just handwash, they only take two minutes.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Tue 05-May-15 18:56:28

My local bra shop tells me that machine washing causes the pocket the wire sits in to contract, which is why the wire ends up poking out.
I now use a no rinse wash for my bras and wash them by hand

If it's happening repeatedly then it's often a sign that the fit is just a little bit off. If the bra is a sniff small, or the wires aren't quite the right shape for your breast then the wires don't sit flat which can cause them to be under too much strain and they pop out.

A lingerie bag helps with washing - I'm guilty of machine washing mine and touch wood haven't lost a wire in a loooong time.

Flossyfloof Tue 05-May-15 19:01:02

Bra angel repair kit, being advertised but not currently available, on Amazon. eBay maybe?

Minshu Tue 05-May-15 19:04:01

I CBA to hand wash, either. I got the things from Lakeland for machine washing under wired bras. The large are fine for my F cup bras smile

HazleNutt Tue 05-May-15 19:53:19

I also suspect it might be the size - I always machine wash my bras and never have wires poking through.

beachyhead Tue 05-May-15 20:06:07

I've bought from Bravissimo for years and the only time this has happened is when I bought their own brand bras... It's a recognised problem, masses of bad reviews. I machine wash, but I machine wash all my bras and the other labels, Fantasie and Freya, have held themselves together..... I spoke to bravissimo but they were hugely unhelpful. hmm

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Tue 05-May-15 20:09:13

The only bra I had this happen to was a Bravissimo Satine. It didn't fit properly either.

InglouriousBasterd Tue 05-May-15 20:12:50

Just sent a Satine back to Bravissimo for this problem - it was a few weeks old and had been handwashed only, and was a perfect fit. Hoping they will replace.

VacantExpression Tue 05-May-15 20:20:51

Never occurred to me you would be able to buy something to fix it- kit ordered from ebay!
I'll be sure to read a few more reviews next time I'm bra shopping too. Thank you.

Pico2 Tue 05-May-15 20:23:10

If this happens I sew the little bow at the fron over the hole.

Fairylea Tue 05-May-15 20:26:27

Their Facebook page is full of people complaining about the wires popping out of their alana and satine bras (which is a shame as those two are lovely). I always machine wash my Freya and panache bras even though I know you're not supposed to and never had a wire pop out. Current bras are about 2 years old.

The thing with alana and satine is that they both run a little small. I've owned several of both but I remover buying an alana in my normal cup and it originally seemed fine but I gradually realised it was off but by maybe half a cup. But if I didn't know a lot about bras I'm not sure I would have realised. I've owned about 10 alanas over the years and maybe 5 satines but always -apart from above -gone up a size. All wires still intact. I think both are a tricky fit.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 05-May-15 22:47:30

I had this with one of my Alana bras. I emailed Bravissimo Customer Services and they said if it was under 6mo they would give me a refund.

They also suggested it might be the fit but as the other 4000 ok exaggerating slightly but not much Alana bras I've owned in the same size have been fine, I think it was just that bra.

Interesting that they run small. Is that just cup size do you think or back size too?

They can be a bit snug in the band. I don't size up generally for the band though.

Could well have been that bra - either a random flaw or a slight sizing difference when stitching, different dye...joys of bras huh!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 06-May-15 22:31:38

Might be why they fit me so well statistically smile Lots of bras don't sit flat against the front of my chest. Alana fits me brilliantly.

Pumpkinette Thu 07-May-15 10:05:30

This stuff works brilliantly to fix wires poking out of bras.

I'm a bit envy you can get a nearly a year out of a bra. Mine stretch out after 2/3 months and become too loose to wear. That's with at least 3 on rotation - all £30+ bras.

I'd say that's not that unusual Pumpkinette. I normally have a ridiculous number of bras so they last a long time, but when I was pregnant I only had maybe 3 at a time and by the time I needed a new size, maybe every 3 months or so, the bras were kinda kaput anyway. It's worse if you have larger breasts too as the weight puts more strain on the fabrics.

That said if it's only the band which is going (a problem for some people) then you could take it in? Either little tucks at the side of remove clasps and resew. I've done it myself with a stretched out favourite!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now