Talk

Advanced search

Smarter tops to wear with jeans

(17 Posts)
Dancergirl Mon 04-May-15 12:40:03

I'm a SAHM so tend to dress quite casually on a day to day basis. But I'm bored with wearing the same old thing which tends to be skinnies and a stripy jersey top. Or sometimes a vest top with a cardie. I do wear dresses in the summer too but not usually at this time of year.

Ideally I'd like some nicer/smarter tops to wear with jeans so I feel a bit more together. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I am 43, size 12, 5'3" and inverted triangle shape.

Oly4 Mon 04-May-15 20:07:34

I've just bought some lovely ones from French connection plus this one from Hobbs, which I wear with a cream statement necklace. Doesn't look anything on the website but gorgeous on. I'm a 12 and bought a small

Oly4 Mon 04-May-15 20:10:16

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/hobbs-ink-spot-t-shirt-ivory-navy/p1939554?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_2#page_loaded

chanie44 Mon 04-May-15 20:39:41

I'm a small inverted triangle too and I really struggle with tops.

I recently bought a jersey blazer. I know you wanted top, but you can wear them over your current tops to smarten up your look.

Dancergirl Mon 04-May-15 21:31:34

I actually have a grey jersey blazer and you're right, it does make you look smarter.

I forgot about French Connection, I haven't looked in there in ages. What did you buy from there oly?

Oly4 Tue 05-May-15 14:39:33

These in navy. Much nicer in real life. I wear the first with a long vest
www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Tops/766ZI/Valentine+Viscose+Top.htm

Oly4 Tue 05-May-15 14:39:52

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Tops/72DAO/Shadow+Bloom+Tunic+Top.htm

Dancergirl Tue 05-May-15 16:53:09

That first one is lovely oly, I'm just not keen on viscose.

leccybill Tue 05-May-15 21:25:34

I like this pink blouse from Oasis and
don't laugh but I've got this orange blouse from George and the colour and fit are lovely.

candykane25 Tue 05-May-15 22:42:29

Oasis is a good place for blouses in all shapes and styles. I just bought this from red herring to wear with jeans
Red crochet top

Dancergirl Wed 06-May-15 09:58:24

oly what size did you get the first FC top in? Looks like the navy/white have sold out sad

Oly4 Wed 06-May-15 10:17:28

Oh no! I got a medium but small would have fitted too. I'm a 12, thoug more often a 10 due to shops making tops huge!

Oly4 Wed 06-May-15 10:21:03

Ps I'm not keen in viscose either and think the prices are crazy, but all my French connection stuff seems to last years.
I like Oasis too but find their clothes don't last as long
Other places I shop for daywear smarter tops are the White Company and Reiss (usually in a sale!). I'm 38 and trying to avoid becoming frumpy mother... Though without also looking like in trying to be young!

Dancergirl Wed 06-May-15 10:23:38

Is the medium quite loose fitting?

Iatemyskinnyperson Wed 06-May-15 10:29:25

I'm quite into shirts at the moment; either loose & flowy or fitted. I quite like fitted ones under a cute sweatshirt. H&M have tons of cotton or cotton/linen mix. Good quality & wear well

Twitchcoco Wed 06-May-15 10:42:50

Viscose isn't so bad. It's a natural product after all.

Oly4 Thu 07-May-15 08:32:14

I find viscose shrinks a bit.
The medium is reasonably loose, I wear a tight vest underneath as well due to the back vent. I think it looks quite cool. The top is very nice on but only suited me in navy. Maybe some of the stores have some left

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now