Talk

Advanced search

If you have/had gel nail polish done at a salon

(24 Posts)
itsbetterthanabox Sun 03-May-15 11:50:35

Which brands have you had? And which has been the best and why?
Thanks!

CurbsideProphet Sun 03-May-15 11:59:37

I prefer OPI Gel to Shellac. OPI Gel is easier to remove and lasts better (IMHO). Shellac needs to be removed with Acetone, which is too harsh for my sensitive skin.

EggsAreNotFromCows Sun 03-May-15 12:01:41

I have had Jessica gels and shellac. Shellac lasted better but totally trashed my nails.

WhyIRayLiotta Sun 03-May-15 12:04:39

I've had gelish done and it ruined my nails. I mean ruined completely - they were filed down for application, and again to remove it - leaving them thin like paper - I couldn't even scratch myself with them! 6 months later and my nails have regrown - but I will NEVER get it done again.

EatShitDerek Sun 03-May-15 12:08:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rockybalboa Sun 03-May-15 12:12:56

I used to have Bio Sculpture gel. It was bloody amazing and lasted 3-4 weeks without chipping or peeling. I had to swap to Gelish when my old nail lady went on maternity leave and it was crap in comparison. Two weeks tops. I now do my own with a Sensationail kit following a thread I started on here. No way would I go back to Gelish at a salon. My old nail lady particularly liked the Bio as it comes in little pots and you can mix the colours. So if you had a tiny bit left of one you could mix something in to finish it off.

burnishedsilver Sun 03-May-15 12:15:44

I've only had Shallac. Over the last few years I've had it done 3 times at 3 different reputable salons recommended by friends. They didn't file over the top of my nails. Its been professionally removed each time. It looked great and lasted well but my nails were completely destroyed each time.
Someone will reply that it wasn't applied or removed properly but that's not true. It was applied and removed properly but my nails were still trashed. Never again.

TheWWord Sun 03-May-15 12:16:22

INK London is a newish gel polish on the scene, It's wonderful. The soak off time is the fastest I've come across. I'm a nail tech, so I've worked with most brands to see which my clients and I work best with. With all Gel polishes it really is down to how your technician applies and removes the product, and how they do your consultation prior to applying.

cuntyMcCunterson Sun 03-May-15 17:24:24

I've had, bluesky, shellac and CCO. I now have my own kit and use bluesky, for me it lasts ages, 2/3 weeks depending on how fast my nails grow, and the colour range is fab. Best of all it doesn't ruin my nails, so if I take it off and can't be bothered redoing it my nails are totally fine.

alwayshavepeckham Sun 03-May-15 17:40:09

OPI for the first time recently. I was worried that my nails would be ruined when it was removed but they're fine. £10 for removal though which seems a bit pricey.

itsbetterthanabox Mon 04-May-15 00:03:14

Cunty you had bluesky and CCO in a salon?

cuntyMcCunterson Mon 04-May-15 00:08:04

Yes had bluesky in 2seperate salons.

itsbetterthanabox Mon 04-May-15 00:12:38

Cunty. Oh I'm surprised as they are a knock off, fake brand.

FuckingLiability Mon 04-May-15 00:18:34

I've had Gelish and Bio. I love the gel polish for not chipping and lasting 2+ weeks but the effect on my nails is really disappointing. Bio was worse than Gelish for this. I stopped going to one particular salon because of how much they filed the nail surface and they were really careless.

I only get them done occasionally now whereas before I was having them 2 weeks on and two weeks off.

KatoPotato Mon 04-May-15 00:39:35

Artistic lasts 21 days but tbh it all depends on the technician. Good prep and proper application can get far longer from any brand.

I'm going for c section on Friday and have bare nails for the first time in about 5 years. I keep freaking myself out

cuntyMcCunterson Mon 04-May-15 01:04:56

Yes I'd heard this before. IME it doesn't perform like knock off and it leave my nails in good condition.

RJnomore Mon 04-May-15 01:09:38

Shellac looks amazing and lasts well but trashed my nails too.

sherbetlemonD Mon 04-May-15 01:09:38

Theres a salon by me that uses cheap, chinese knock offs. Wouldn't go near the place with a barge pole myself but my friends love it. It just gives me the willies all over shudders

I've had Shellac and Gellish. Can't really tell the difference if i'm honest. Havent had a acrylics since getting Gellish and my nails are growing fine and pretty strong- stronger then they used to be before I started ever getting my nails done in fact.

TheRestofmylifeiswaiting Mon 04-May-15 01:31:40

I agree the longest lasting is down to the best application and also having your nails long enough so the gels can be "wrapped" around the tips. I have had artistic now for a year (redo every 2-3 weeks) and they can last for a full 21 days if applied right (after that regrowth is too bad), worst they chip in a few days but I always go back for repairs. Used to have biosculpture before that which would last 2 weeks. The one time I had gelish it chipped and peeled v quickly but I assume that was poor application.

rockybalboa Mon 04-May-15 10:57:24

How exactly can any nail varnish be 'fake'? Bluesky is a brand isn't it? It's not as if they are mocking up Gelish or some other more 'professional' brand and sticking wonky copy labels on a la a fake Mulberry bag in a Chinese market.

Coastingit Mon 04-May-15 12:53:09

I get it on my toes regularly in the summer and love it, it lasts 6-8 weeks on me and only then I get it replaced as it's growing off rather than chipping.

Had it on my hands once, never again as it left them in such bad condition after the file off. I developed cuts around my nails where the acetone irritated them too, really painful.

alwayshavepeckham Mon 04-May-15 13:04:39

After the success on my hands I've wondered about toes Coasting. A normal pedi for me on holidays lasts about 2 weeks but the varnish fades & goes dull in the sun. Does it stay new & glossy? Also, I presume it doesn't grow out as quickly/or look so noticeable on feet?

Leviticus Mon 04-May-15 13:12:00

Jessica Geleration has lifted off my fingernails within a couple of days both times I've tried it. Fine on my toes though.

Calgel wouldn't budge in a nuclear storm but does wreck your nails underneath. I'd use that for a holiday abroad only.

itsbetterthanabox Mon 04-May-15 18:19:01

Rockybalboa yes CCO bluesky do directly rip off CND shellac and gelish. They have bottles that look almost identical so people get confused. It's an inferior product and some salons sell it for the high price fooling customers or just don't hide it but it's still a fake, untested, non professional brand. Much more likely to cause reaction too as it's not properly tested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now