Talk

Advanced search

dinner at the boss's house....

(13 Posts)
mabelbabel Fri 01-May-15 19:00:10

Next week - dinner with proper grown up people at the boss's house (actually my boss's boss who is a v influencial person).

I would like to wear a nice top to wear with black slim crop trousers. Not sleeveless and I don't really suit v necks (boat neck or round neck is best). Prefer drapey to clingy.

I am usually 12ish on top. Can get to most high street shops. Had a look today, but stumped.

Any suggestions please?

ClaraDeLaNoche Fri 01-May-15 23:30:09

If it's slim fit on the bottom I would go for drapey. I'd avoid block colours, and try to have a different texture. Maybe a drapey silk blouse, perhaps a pattern? Go on Pinterest and type on black trousers outfit. And really high heels! Black trousers can sometimes look a bit worky so glam it up.

mabelbabel Sat 02-May-15 07:16:26

Thanks, I can't do heels,but have some glam (for me) patent shoes that I v rarely wear in the office. Which shops should I hit?

OvertiredandConfused Sat 02-May-15 09:49:27

How about a drape front blouse?

this one from Top Shop is in cream so you'd need to go for a bold necklace and dramatic make-up but I think it could look really elegant (if that's what you're looking for?)

Alternatively, a similar style but in a bold colour?

BelindaAllWorkedOut Sat 02-May-15 15:26:18

Look at the Dune Briella bejewelled pointed flats. Or Russell & Bromlley Tantrum flats, if budget allows. Glam, but easy to kick off if no shoe policy.

gemmababe Sat 02-May-15 15:34:24

Probable safer to slip them off anyway that way no offence can be caused

Amethyst24 Sat 02-May-15 15:37:44

There's some nice stuff at Jigsaw at the moment.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 02-May-15 15:42:20

Oh please do not take your shoes off!

How about a silk shirt by Equipment? Also jigsaw have some nice stuff in at the moment.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 02-May-15 15:42:43

crosspost with amethyst smile

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 02-May-15 16:01:40

with cami underneath

black silk with gold necklace and not quite so many undone buttons

BelindaAllWorkedOut Sat 02-May-15 17:49:32

I wouldnt "offer" to take my shoes off, but I've been to houses where I have been asked to.

mabelbabel Sun 03-May-15 08:11:05

Oh God, shoes on/shoes off! I hadn't even thought of that. I think it will be shoes on, actually, but I will bear that in mind. I quite like the reiss lace top - there is a long sleeve one in the sale too. And I can get to a jigsaw so will look in their website too. Might link to some potential options later. Thanks all.

alwayshavepeckham Sun 03-May-15 14:01:37

Definitely shoes on. I've never been to a dinner party where I've been asked to take my shoes off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now