Talk

Advanced search

Catholic Problem :-) First Communion Outfits for Boys

(13 Posts)
springlenner Fri 01-May-15 11:49:35

I really should know this being a lifelong (really bad) Catholic but the last First Holy Communion I attended was my own 35 years ago! So, DS(8) is making his First Holy Communion in 6 weeks. I don't know any of the mums in the group to ask them but attended a parent info session last night- and anyone I chatted to had girls.
I had planned on his wearing a light blue Boden Jacket ( link to Boden won't work) with paler blue shirt and light beige linen shorts but...
at last night's meeting I found out that a red tie and sash is worn by all boys ( tis a UK thing, AFAIK in Ireland boys wear their school uniform)
So with a red tie it's going to have to be a white shirt. I'm OK with that.
I have a few questions though
1. Does it have to be a suit? I always think suits on little boys looks tacky ala Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?
2. Maybe trousers would be better than shorts? I guess he will want to look older rather than younger?
3. Is beige linen OK? I think that linen would look good on him and he might get to wear it once or twice more this year. But on other threads on here it seems dark trousers are recommended ( I don't want him to look like he's going off to court!!) or am I showing my age?? Don't want to channel Miami Vice....
3. I want to get him something really good and I don't mind spending £££ -he's my PFB and he's had a tough year, he likes to look smart and I really want to make him feel special. Any shopping recs?
4. Is there such a thing as a red silk tie for boys - on the FHC.co.uk websites they all look nasty and polyester...
4. Where to get swanky shoes?

I am overthinking this, I know....

Anyway, any wisdom from you ladies would be appreciated. I am off to John Lewis and Monsoon now on a recce..

BitOfFun Fri 01-May-15 11:52:29

Don't they all just wear school uniform with the sash?

soremummy Fri 01-May-15 11:53:49

Ask the teacher??? At our school boys wear white shirt with an embroidered cross ob pocket a red sash red tie with something on it chalice? Or /and year? And either dark grey or black trousers and school type shoes.

ChablisLover Fri 01-May-15 11:56:13

We are in Ireland and the norm here is a nice suit or jacket/trouser combo

For comfirmation they wear their school uniform

I would ask the school if in any doubt

Justyouwaitandsee Fri 01-May-15 11:59:03

White (school?) shirt, grey/dark school shorts and school socks and shoes? That is what I have seen boys wear. Ask teacher or priest if in doubt!

meditrina Fri 01-May-15 12:00:02

I'm another one who would go for school uniform (assuming the uniform has a proper shirt).

And getting good boys ties in a specific colour is quite difficult. You'll either have to try a school supplier, or just get an inexpensive narrow men's one, tie it so the front is the right length and stuff the excess at the back down his shirt.

Both Debenhams and Next have a good selection.

springlenner Fri 01-May-15 12:04:26

We are Irish but in the UK!.He doesn't go to a Catholic school so has First Communion preparation outside of school - it's totally separate adn none of the kids with him on the day attend Catholic school either, I think. And unfortunately he doesn't have a school uniform - sorry I should have put that in my post!

AnythingNotEverything Fri 01-May-15 12:15:01

All First Holy Communion prep in the UK is outside of school - you're not missing out there so don't worry.

DS wore school trousers, a white shirt, and a red tie and ribbon thing that I think were provided by or procured via the priest or catacysts. Could you ask them?

I think the ties etc were also available via our local Catholic bookshop.

polyhymnia Fri 01-May-15 12:17:45

Fwiw it's worth, my (much younger) DGS is going to be a page boy at a wedding tomorrow and bride has chosen for him Gap Kids beige/cream chinos and a Gap white shirt. Looks really smart but not too fussy and think it would be good on an 8 year old too.

Inkspellme Fri 01-May-15 12:17:49

I'm in Ireland ( not Catholic) and gave seen plenty of lovely communion outfits if late. the linen sounds lovely - smart and obviously everyday wear. colour wise maybe cream/ natural colour. I would say trousers and not shorts though. they just seem smarter . nice white shirt sounds good too. shoes - I would be thinking of leather loafers or deck shoes in maybe navy? I think they might match the smart casual of the linen trousers. A navy smartish jacket might look good too - just in case the weather is a bit dull on the day. hope you have a lovely day for it.

Pooseyfrumpture Fri 01-May-15 12:26:41

I've seen all sorts - from a white tuxedo to what looked like school shirt and trousers with a white tie.

This place has ties (and parasols)
www.firstholycommunion.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=20 - I don't remember many red ties on the boys - more white.

John Lewis, Debenhams and M&S all have ideas: www.debenhams.com/kids/occasionwear/communion

Please don't stick him in shorts grin

springlenner Fri 01-May-15 16:45:21

Thanks all! Ye're probably right about the shorts come to think of it ( but I'll be putting his baby brother in them!)
I've had a snoop around town and there isn't really much on offer. But Monsoon have nice linen herringbone trousers& white shirt. And John Lewis Heritage range have a few bits too.
Didn't look in the Gap- but that's an excuse for another expedition!
As for the shoes I only saw one pair of smart brown shoes on my travels - brown brogues in M&S.
I have a pet hate of polyester ties but it looks like that's the way it's going- I should chill out - he's a mucky pup the entire outfit will be covered in God knows what detritus probably before we get to church��

geogteach Fri 01-May-15 16:56:32

Think you will find pretty much anything 'smart' goes. DS1 wore linen suit. DS2 was having none on it and wore smart navy trousers and open shirt.
In our church you would also find boys in Indian traditional clothes, Italians in military style suits and everything in between (but not school uniform).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now