Talk

Advanced search

Removing Thrift Shop Smell on Clothes

(22 Posts)
AmelieinOz Thu 30-Apr-15 12:12:41

You know that smell - old, stale? How do you get that out of clothes?

I got a vintage leather jacket on eBay. It was very cheap, so I put it in the washing machine (2 cycles) and then dryer (1 cycle). It wasn't ruined, smell lessened but it's still there.

Any suggestions how to remove the smell? Read somewhere it being described as "smell of poverty".

senua Thu 30-Apr-15 12:15:18

You put leather in the washing machine?confused

ppeatfruit Thu 30-Apr-15 12:21:09

But leather smells bad anyway, often if it 's brand new. White vinegar is good for neutralising smells though. Wipe it with that and afterwards ess. oil of lavender to stop it drying out.

CeeceeBloomingdale Thu 30-Apr-15 12:27:16

I had a leather handbag with the same issue. A combination of hanging it outside on a windy day and cLeaning it with wizz leather cleaner from pound world did the trick

AuntieStella Thu 30-Apr-15 12:33:09

Leather in a washing machine shock

The smell mat we'll be coming from the lining. Turn it inside out and leave it outdoors in the sun - perhaps spray with diluted lavender oil (and might zoflora help?)

Or if nowhere to put it outside, leave it right way round and sprinkle inside with bicarb, leave for a while and then shake out.

If stubborn, it might be worth trying a trainer tamer product.

AmelieinOz Thu 30-Apr-15 13:17:14

Yeah, I googled and apparently some do it. I figured I didn't have so much to lose since I got the jacket quite cheap. It's also way too big so shrinkage is very desirable to me.

The leather is fine. It's just the smell of the attic/basement/thrift shop is still there.

AmelieinOz Thu 30-Apr-15 13:17:51

I'll be leaving it outdoors tomorrow. However it's always raining here. sad

ppeatfruit Thu 30-Apr-15 13:21:55

So it's the liner that smells? Probably it's synthetic so difficult to get really smell free. The white vinegar works and doesn't leave a vinegary smell honest grin.

AmelieinOz Thu 30-Apr-15 13:24:51

It's genuine leather. The liner is silky. I don't really know what the liner is, I don't know much about fabric but doesn't seem polyester.

So if I use vinegar, do I dilute it?

AmelieinOz Thu 30-Apr-15 13:25:22

The smell is similar to the smell of old stuff/clothes.

Tizwailor Thu 30-Apr-15 13:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coastingit Thu 30-Apr-15 14:43:28

hmm at 'the smell of poverty'

Just take it to the dry cleaners like a normal person.

AmelieinOz Thu 30-Apr-15 14:46:42

Coastingit - that's what a blog described it. Not my words.

Also, I was quoted $150 for cleaning. The jacket costs $17. So uhm, no.

AmelieinOz Thu 30-Apr-15 14:47:21

I mean, that's how (not what) a blog described it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Apr-15 15:19:57

Why on earth would you repeat such an awful phrase?confused

Bicarbonate of soda is very good for removing odours, put the jacket in a bag with a tub of bicarbonate that you've stabbed a pencil in the sides a few times and tie the bag up the leave it for a week.

Specific pet odour removing spray is very good for this type of thing, Mr Muscle do one which you can get on Amazon .

thebeesankles Thu 30-Apr-15 15:27:27

The tub of bicarbonate of soda in a sealed bag is what I was going to suggest along with some cat litter. I collect vintage clothing and I have had to do this quite often. Hanging outside (inside out and out of direct sunlight) is best, weather permitting.

Perfectlypurple Thu 30-Apr-15 15:33:21

Probably not best for leather but fabric conditioner always works for me.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Apr-15 16:03:58

You can water down fabric conditioner in a spray bottle which works well or use a product like Oust.

AnitaPooh Thu 30-Apr-15 16:58:26

Febreeze works well.

AmelieinOz Thu 30-Apr-15 22:47:19

Thanks everyone! I will definitely try the bicarbonate soda and the watered down fabric conditioner trick. I sprayed some cleaning vinegar on the lining last night, and today it smells vintage and kind of...sweetish?

Bombinate Thu 30-Apr-15 23:06:12

Dry shampoo then brush off.

ppeatfruit Fri 01-May-15 12:54:55

Amelie Sorry I missed your post grin You mix the white vinegar with very hot water in a cup half and half. and brush it on with a toothbrush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now