Where to go for maternity wear

(19 Posts)
Jackieharris Wed 29-Apr-15 07:32:25

I'm bursting out of my clothes now so need to go mat wear shopping.

(I hate shopping so not looking forwards to it!)

I'm not working so don't need suits etc.

It will only last 4 months so don't need high quality.

Want:leggings, long tops, maybe combats/maybe 3/4 length, a summer coat/jacket

Where should I go?

Tia

tellmemore1982 Wed 29-Apr-15 07:37:54

For comfy easy wear and inexpensive, Asos is good.

All the high street shops have maternity wear online. Gap, Next etc all have it too but I find them all plain and petty boring myself. Most maternity wear is online not in stores so you won't find a lot on the high street.

For some nice tops for going out or days when you need a bit of a lift, Seraphine and Isabella Oliver.

Don't overlook normal tops with plenty of length, it's surprising how nice they can look too

quesadillas Wed 29-Apr-15 07:39:19

I like New Look for cheap basics.

roughtyping Wed 29-Apr-15 07:39:58

H&m has nice stuff, primark also has lots of stuff in big sizes (got a stretchy maxi skirt last night which should last a while).

Oly4 Wed 29-Apr-15 09:31:59

Gap maternity wear is the most comfy of the lot in my opinion. It also lasts... I expect mine to see me through a third pregnancy. I love it!

DragonboysMum Wed 29-Apr-15 09:38:38

I got a few nice tunic type things which I wore with leggings, and also a denim skirt from h&m. The tops weren't maternity, just bought a size bigger. Also got a couple of tops from Mothercare which surprised me because they were very cheap!

plentyofshoes Wed 29-Apr-15 10:43:57

Look out for mamas & papas sales online or in store. I got loads very cheap including two dresses for £10 when I went in.

Pantsalive Wed 29-Apr-15 16:59:19

I'd second H&M maternity wear, here - good price and not too mumsy.

Also have a look on ebay.

Pantsalive Wed 29-Apr-15 17:01:20

Just remembered one of my favourite skirts came from Dorothy Perkins. They don't seem to have much in at the moment but their leggings are reduced.

Coastingit Wed 29-Apr-15 17:21:39

H and M are my favourite because they actually stock maternity in their shops so you can browse and try things on. It's also fashionable and cheap! And great for jeans and bottom halves in general. And also coats and parkas are great and good value.

Asos is great for dresses and any events - they also stock a range of maternity brands so you can get other ideas.

If I were you I'd head to H and M and get a couple of pairs of maternity skinnies, then try oversized tops and shirts from non maternity shops. I spent a fortune on Isabella Oliver stuff in my first pregnancy but this time round am trying to be truer to my usual style. Wearing skinnies has stopped me piling on weight I think as I feel when my bum and thighs are all flabby and cut back a little - last time I wore dresses all the time and revelled in my enormous state! Mistake as it took ages to lose the weight afterwards.

Kittykatmacbill Wed 29-Apr-15 19:06:36

H&m and asos are great, new look is good too. Ebay can be useful.

I wouldn't bother with a maternity specific coat just wear a normal get a size up, I bought a huge fleece from mountain warehouse, which was foul but did keep me warm and snug, when out walking (I have a semi outdoor job!)

newtonupontheheath Wed 29-Apr-15 19:10:07

I keep raving about Asda/George. All
My maternity stuff is from there-tops, jeans, skirt and a dress for a christening.

It's fairly cheap, you can click and collect and free returns.

Much better than asos IMO smile

Runningupthathill82 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:34:31

If you're oop north, it's worth a trip to the Mamas and Papas factory shop just off j25 of the m62 near huddersfield.

You can get great quality stuff there at a fraction of the price (think £5 for a dress). I got a buggy from there for £40 too.

Otherwise, definitely Asos.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 29-Apr-15 19:39:01

eBay is good too.

Don't bother with a coat. Get a long length cardigan (M&S or Zara are good for this). They tend to be very expensive and pretty horrible.

ASOS is cheap and has good basics. Gap is good but dearer, although the quality is better.

H&M have maternity in store - they do great jeans but don't be scared to size up as they're tiny. New Look have maternity in larger stores, as do Debenhams in their Red Herring range.

Don't overlook normal shops. My antenatal group (all 32-36 weeks) are raving about a Sainsburys maxi dress at the moment smile

Coastingit Wed 29-Apr-15 19:50:28

Re coats. My maternity parka has been hands down my best buy. But it depends what season you're pregnant in, I'm approaching the end now and have worn it all winter long. It was half price £20 from H and M, and because it's maternity it fits neatly around my arms and shoulders, with comfortable room for bump.

But at this time of year I'm sticking to a non maternity denim jacket to streamline my look a bit.

hauntedhenry Wed 29-Apr-15 21:01:47

I had stuff from h&m, seraphine and the odd splurge from Isabella Oliver. Also had some fab jeans from mothercare.

cpic Thu 30-Apr-15 19:59:10

steer clear of Next denim. bought a pair of overbump jeans and after a wash or two the crotch was at my knees. angry

Jackieharris Thu 30-Apr-15 20:25:54

I've never bought clothes online.

I just can't imagine buying something without trying it on first.

I usually go into a shop take 8 items into the changing room and am lucky if one fits properly. I'm quite an unusual shape, tall with long legs and short torso, tapered limbs, very large breasts!

But I have access to big branches of all the big shops.

I don't wear jeans. I find them restrictive.

I do want specifically maternity wear not just bigger stuff. I don't want to just look fat. I'm at that stage now where people wonder whether I'm pregnant or just Apple shaped. I'd like stretchy things that show the bump rather than massive loose things.

Where sells over the bump leggings?. I find a lot of leggings aren't long enough for me. Then a A line Long sleeved top and summer coat/jacket to go over.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 30-Apr-15 20:29:05

Jackie H&M do good black leggings. I have an ankle length pair and a capri length pair (I'm too tall to wear many of my maternity dresses without leggings underneath). They're nicely black and a good thickness. Comfy over bump too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now