Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Persuade me a fringe is a bad idea....

(68 Posts)
JenniMoo Fri 10-Apr-15 14:24:33

I'm rubbish with hair, tend to just wash and leave it. I think a fringe would suit my face shape but not sure I can handle to maintenance right now.
I did try a long side swept fringe last year but ended up having to clip it out of the way as got an eye infection within days of having it cut in.
How hard is a fringe to look after? Would you do it if you were me?

tethersend Fri 10-Apr-15 14:29:37

They are a PITA, but they make you look as if you have a 'hairstyle' instead of just 'hair', so in that sense they are quite easy. I do appreciate that that makes no sense grin

I'm just growing one out now. I can never make up my mind if I want one or not.

Lj8893 Fri 10-Apr-15 14:29:53

I have had a fringe cut in so many times, every time I have never got it trimmed and just let it grow out because I can't be bothered with it! But it does look so pretty.....

tethersend Fri 10-Apr-15 14:31:00

Oh, and the best thing about a fringe is that if you're in a rush, you can just wash and dry the fringe and you look all fresh and groomed grin

PetiteBateau Fri 10-Apr-15 16:02:58

I trim my fringe myself every couple of weeks, it's easy if you have a full fringe

FelixFelix Fri 10-Apr-15 16:05:02

I have had a full fringe since October last year and I love it. It makes me look more 'done' if that makes sense. I've not been back to the hairdressers since and just trim it myself. I find that if your fringe looks good, it doesn't really matter if the rest of your hair looks dodgy grin

RedCrayons Fri 10-Apr-15 16:05:19

I've always regretted it when I've had them cut in. It's such a pain the grow out.

GraysAnalogy Fri 10-Apr-15 16:05:40

No I defo wouldn't. I'm like you, I always think oo lets have a fringe... the day after I have it done I regret it. Then I make my DP promise that he'll NOT LET ME ever get one again... then a few months or maybe a year later the cycle will continue because I forget how much I hated it and I ignore what DP tells me about aforementioned promise

NuggetofPurestGreen Fri 10-Apr-15 16:10:15

I have instructed my hairdresser not to give me a fringe no matter how much I think I want it. I do love how it looks but it is high maintenance.

BUT it depends on how high maintenance your hair is in general. My friend has long straight hair and doesn't find the fringe difficult.

JenniMoo Fri 10-Apr-15 16:50:35

My hair has a slight wave to it.
I'd definitely trim it myself regularly.
I grew mine out at primary school so I think it might be a plan to try one. Too many people are saying how good they are, you're supposed to be disuadi get me...

PetiteBateau Fri 10-Apr-15 17:14:02

It was either fringe or botox & I went for fringe

PrivatePike Fri 10-Apr-15 17:14:44

I have always had a fringe <born this way> And I would LOVE to be able to cut it myself - please tell me how, PetiteBateau? I couldn't be without it, because I have a weird, massive forehead/white eyebrows, but having to go and get it cut all the time is a flipping pain.

DuelingFanjo Fri 10-Apr-15 17:15:19

How do people grow them out? What can I do with an eyebrow length fringe while waiting for it to grow?

PetiteBateau Fri 10-Apr-15 17:18:20

I have hairdressing scissors & thinning scissors & I just sort of chop up into it when it is dry. Been doing it for so long now

PrivatePike Fri 10-Apr-15 17:19:00

Please please...HOW does one trim it oneself?

TheWordFactory Fri 10-Apr-15 17:21:35

I love my fringe and between haircuts my hairdresser trims my fringe for free- most do!

GothicRainbow Fri 10-Apr-15 17:21:59

I had a thick heavy fringe cut in about 4 months ago and I love it!! I have curly hair so I do have to give it a quick blow dry and a once over with the straighteners but it will then stay straight no matter what. I've tried wispy fringes in the past and they've been a nightmare.

I think if you're going to do it don't go half-hearted! The thicker the fringe the better it will behave.

PrivatePike Fri 10-Apr-15 17:24:46

My hairdresser has just started to charge for fringe trims, I wonder if I should change..

FelixFelix Fri 10-Apr-15 17:26:55

I just cut it with sharp scissors and hope for the best. It's not gone wonky yet!

PrivatePike Fri 10-Apr-15 17:30:43

Wow! Ok! This is opening up a world of possibility and happiness - I really don't like going to the hairdressers.

FelixFelix Fri 10-Apr-15 17:37:28

Pike I was worried about getting a fringe as I hardly ever go to the hairdressers but it's not been a problem at all.

ThisFenceIsComfy Fri 10-Apr-15 17:41:46

I love my fringe. Love it. It's not so Hugh maintenance. I am the least inclined person ever to put in effort with my appearance. I just blow dry my fringe (using a brush, blow dry one way then the other), takes two minutes. I trim it myself and it always works out fine. Get it cut in properly the first time and then just keep to how your hairdresser has cut it.

So many benefits to a fringe as PP said you can just wash and dry your fringe, pop the rest in a ponytail and voila, presentable hair!

ThisFenceIsComfy Fri 10-Apr-15 17:42:26

High maintenance obviously. Hugh is very high maintenance.

PrivatePike Fri 10-Apr-15 17:45:08

Oh, that Hugh...grin

deadwitchproject Fri 10-Apr-15 17:50:16

GraysAnalogy this has been me for the last decade grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now