Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Trip to London

(13 Posts)
Spidergirl8 Mon 16-Feb-15 20:56:13

I have a flying visit to London planned in a couple of weeks. This is the first trip without kids in years. I have one morning/early afternoon from 9am-3pm where I can do whatever I want!
I love all things niche but don't have lots to spend. Any tips on where to go, shops to visit? I'm staying in Marylebone.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 16-Feb-15 22:53:56

John Soanes Museum in Lincolns Inn is interesting - he was an architect ( designed Bank of England building) who set up part of his house as a study place for his students with lots of interesting relicts and paintings. House itself is fascinating from an architectural point of view, and because it's a house ( albeit a big one) you can get round it and see everything quite quickly ( an hour is enough). But you need to get there early - we arrived at 10 and had to queue for 45 mins to get in. Curators are very well-informed and happy to give loads of information.
The Wallace Collection is also interesting, fantastic sword/armour collection as well as lots of paintings.
Somerset House is worth a visit, there's often something interesting going on in the central square, you can walk through to the river, and the art gallery is fab ( and again not too big).
I've seen some interesting exhibitions at the Photographers gallery ( just off Oxford street)- might be worth checking what's on there.
All of these are either free or inexpensive.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 16-Feb-15 22:56:31

Sorry just realised this in Style and Beauty so you probably want shops!
Fortnum & Mason is fab to look around, but expensive.
Anthropologie on Regent Street is worth a look ( thought can be £££, but there might be some sale stuff still.

SelfLoathing Tue 17-Feb-15 00:17:53

Marylebone high street is lovely - lots of little clothes shops and shoe shops. Walking from one end to the other is a pleasant way to spend time.

Selfridges is also close to Marylebone and always good for a high end rummage.

Spidergirl8 Tue 17-Feb-15 07:29:15

Thank you both. Delphin- the John Soames house sounds amazing. I am definitely going to look it up. I've just managed to confirm a booking for lunch at Vanilla Black- looks amazing.
Self- Marylebone high street is great. I also just found out that they do a market on Saturday in Marylebone called 'Cabbages and Frocks'- will be checking this out also.

Silverjohnleggedit Tue 17-Feb-15 07:53:40

I loved Vanilla Black, probably the most perfect meal I've ever tasted. I can spend hours in Selfridges.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Tue 17-Feb-15 09:24:13

Agree w everything already said, plus The Marylebone is great for cocktails and a chat, and La Fromagerie is a wonderful place to browse for food and stop for a bite. Marylebone is one of my favourite areas in London.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 17-Feb-15 09:42:18

I do like Patisserie Valerie in Marylebone smile
Lovely shops on Marylebone High Street and great access to Oxford Street / Regent Street.
Marylebone Hotel a nice place to stay. I've stayed there a few times.
Financially out of the question for me at the moment. A girl can dream.
Have a great time.

Spidergirl8 Tue 17-Feb-15 10:22:48

Yes, Marylebone Hotel looks lovely. However for me I'm staying at another Marylebone Hotel......Marylebone Travel Lodge ;) My budget is pretty tight, maybe one day I can stay at a luxury hotel though.
I've actually been saving Lewis' vouchers given as gifts over the last couple of years and I'm hoping that I can book in a personal shopper at Peter Jones.
I'd love to go for cocktails and a chat- however I'm travelling solo this time and no longer know anyone in London (despite having lived there 10yrs ago for a short spell!)

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Tue 17-Feb-15 10:31:37

Marylebone High Street is lovely for a mooch, and has the glorious Daunt bookshop too. You're v near the Wallace Collection, which is a nice way to spend an hour, and then you are seconds away from Selfridges. I must admit that I'm not terribly fond of the London Selfridges (the Birmingham one is nicer imvho) but I am VERY fond of the Oxford Street John Lewis!

Are you arriving into Euston? If yes, you are v near the Wellcome Collection, which is very niche and has an amazing bookshop, as well as a nice little cafe, which is good for whiling away an hour or so people watching.

Spidergirl8 Tue 17-Feb-15 19:29:20

Yes Remus, I wanted to go to the Lewis' personal shopper, but they were fully booked! Thank you for Wellcome Collection tip. I will have an hour or so to fill between finishing lunch and catching train back. I will seek it out.

Spidergirl8 Tue 17-Feb-15 19:34:23

Oxford Street Lewis', that should read above!

SelfLoathing Tue 17-Feb-15 20:57:16

+1 for the Wellcome Collection. It's a very interesting and under-publicised museum.

Also don't forget the British Museum but that's too many things to do in a day!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: