Advanced search

Sensitive eyes causing me problems with makeup.

(10 Posts)
jacla40 Mon 16-Feb-15 17:01:41

I'm having issues with my eyes being itchy, burning and watering. I am seeing an ophthalmologist who questioned me about what was causing it.

I couldn't think of anything for ages but now I realise that it started to become a problem after I started wearing BB cream regularly.

I have used several different ones in the time my eyes have been bothering me. I wore Bourjois 123 CC cream today and my eyes have been in agony.

I don't use any eye make up at all these days since the problems started.

Thinking back I had a problem years ago with a moisturiser containing SPF so I'm thinking now that the SPF is the problem ingredient.

I've started using a light night cream as a moisturiser to avoid the SPF in that but I really need some light coverage on my face day to day.

Can anyone recommend a light foundation or BB type cream with no SPF?

FrugalFashionista Mon 16-Feb-15 17:21:27

I have a similar problem but the irritating ingredient seems to be a pigment or preservative, something that is really common (brown Maybelline eye pencils and Dior under eye concealer originally triggered the reaction). I went for products that have really short INCI lists, ditched liquid foundation and switched to mineral makeup, and it really works. Many eye makeup products make my eyes red and itchy but Almay, Revlon and Chanel are also problem-free for me. I don't think I have issues with SPF. Good luck trying to find what works for you!

jacla40 Wed 18-Feb-15 19:01:14

Thanks Frugal. Sorry to hear you have similar issues.

I'm not even sure it is the SPF - just guessing based on previous reaction to the moisturiser with SPF.

I had forgotten about Almay product. I used them years ago so I'll have a look for that brand again.

Has anyone else any suggestions?

Maverick66 Wed 18-Feb-15 19:17:37

Hi OP. I have same problem I use Clinique skincare products. I use Simple eye makeup remover. I use No 7 eye shadows . smile

MadCatGirrrl Wed 18-Feb-15 19:20:19

I have incredibly sensitive eyes (blepharitis) and a consultant at Moorfields told me about I had to give up eye makeup for about two years and this site has changed my life, i buy all my makeup from there and can wear eye make up on a daily basis now. Avoid anything with dimethecone (spelling is atrocious) on your face. All the makeup on the site is for sensitive eyes/skin.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 18-Feb-15 19:50:21

I can't even use Simple eye make up remover.
I tried it again last night.
I used Simple on one eye and Nivea for sensitive eyes on the other eye.
Simple stung more.
I had been using La Roche Posay but as it's expensive I wanted to try a cheaper brand.
Dd2 can use it.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 18-Feb-15 19:55:31

Thank you for that website Madcap

jacla40 Wed 18-Feb-15 20:17:19

Good website recommendation, thanks.

I think I have blepharitis. Couldn't remember the name but that sounds right. I also got a lovely chalazion
cyst sad
I like La Roche Posay too. I used their Micellar Solution for cleansing.

I think I am fairly ok with cleansing and moisturising now but I haven't bothered with eye makeup since having problems and would love to go back to shadow and mascara.

MadCatGirl Have you tried the foundation or tinted moisturiser from Butterfly?

I wonder if they do samples.

MadCatGirrrl Wed 18-Feb-15 21:14:31

Jacia - if you have a chalazion you will almost def. have Blepharitis (I've become a bit of an expert on the subject). I hope you are using hot compresses on your eyes to "pop" them - loads of info on Dr Google - doing this will help minimise the symptoms.
I did try a tinted moisturiser from Butterflies - it was OK, but I then went all spendy and now use the Chantercaille tinted moisturiser which is £££, but has zinc oxide as a sunscreen rather than a chemical concoction, and I've not had any problems with it. I found that when my eyes are having a bad spell, less is more when it comes to products. I also wipe my eyelid margins with a clean flannel that's been wrung out with hot water to get rid of any crusty bits . .delightful. Also consultant at Moorfields makes me take a shedload of flaxseed oil every day - loads of studies prove that it helps minimise the symptoms.
Give Butterflies a call - they're v helpful and may be able to get samples to you . .(I'm rushing, want to watch Wolf Hall)

Maraki Wed 18-Feb-15 21:31:30

Hi, glad to know I'm not the only one with sensitive eyes! Makeup has been trial and error but I can't use anything else other than baby oil to take makeup off. I wet my eyes with warm water first to 'loosen' the mascara and eyeliner to the point I get panda eyes (nice!), give it all a wipe with cotton pad soaked in baby oil and rinse. Very effective!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now