Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Evening footwear dilemma - smart/casual/elegant but no heels

(9 Posts)
Petal02 Mon 16-Feb-15 10:43:05

I’m going to Rome in mid-March, and I’ve had some great ideas from S&B posters about my wardrobe. But just one more question ……. evening footwear: it’s been suggested I take capri trousers, and some nice skinny jeans for casual evenings, and I’ve taken this on board. So what do I wear on my feet (no heels please). I’m thinking ballet pumps? It will just be bars and restaurants in the evenings, no hiking involved, and the weather will be around 10 degrees in the evenings (according to the BBC). I realise ballet pumps wouldn’t be much good in the rain, but I can’t wear wellies with capri trousers …..

Suggestions please! I need something smart/casual/elegant.

grumpasaur Mon 16-Feb-15 11:11:51

Yes, ballet pumps or ankle boots with skinny jeans / skirts. Dune and Russell & Bromley have some really nice, elegant ones. What is your budget though?

I wouldn't wear capris. I see them often on Brits / Americans / Australians in Europe and always think they look like tourists! Stick to simple, classy, elegant clothes.

Petal02 Mon 16-Feb-15 11:27:15

I had wondered about ankle boots, but a flat boot (or one with a very low heel) can look clumpy on me sometimes. I don't want to be tottering around Rome (I've heard about the cobbles) so I'm trying to be sensible!

My budget is approx £100.

BritabroadinAsia Mon 16-Feb-15 11:36:09

Pointy flats - more elegant and structured than ballet pumps IMO. I'm not a massive Boden fan, but they often have nice versions of these which would come within your budget.

Personally, I think it's all in the length of capri trousers. No doubt they are supposed to be a specific length, but I was thinking you meant more 7/8ths, with the just ankle bone showing? (am I thinking of cigarette pants here, and confusing the issue?!) Anyway, have a lovely trip, am sure you will look great!

Petal02 Mon 16-Feb-15 13:11:20

That’s interesting, as I’ve already got two pairs of pointy flats, so thank you for reminding me!

Or would something like this although possibly in a different colour, be suitable?

www.kurtgeiger.com/women/shoes/flats/slipper-shoes.html

It gives a little more cover to the foot than the traditional ballet flat? Although I’ve just been into Primark, and they have a whole range of slipper-type shoes, in various colours, for £6 ……. !!!!

hellsbellsmelons Mon 16-Feb-15 16:31:40

Something like THESE
or these
good old chelsea boots?

Petal02 Mon 16-Feb-15 23:00:42

I'm beginning to think this might be easier if I didn't take capris? A pair of slim leg trousers (normal length) seems easier to style with footwear. And of course, skinny jeans .

BallroomWithNoBalls Mon 16-Feb-15 23:32:51

These in either colour would be stunning smile

BritabroadinAsia Tue 17-Feb-15 05:07:24

I would be concerned about the fabric (suedette)upper of the Kurt Geiger slipper shoes, in case of rain? Like the style, but would lean more towards leather/patent etc to cover all eventualities...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: