Talk

Advanced search

Ski suit for a tall man, please help

(4 Posts)
Fairycupcake Sun 15-Feb-15 13:58:43

DH's work organises team building away days in March, skiing in French Alps... There will be his bosses and people who work for him, most of them younger than DH and regular skiers. DH is really looking forward to this, although he didn't ski for 20 years. He identified pieces of gear he could rent or borrow, but the suit seems to be the thing he needs to buy as he is very tall. I never did alpine ski because of knee injury, so I have no idea where to start. DH, literally, hides away.

I looked at Tkmaxx and Decatlon but can't begin to understand what criteria to apply and what to aim for. There are prices from £350 t0 £35. I understand I should resist the temptation to buy the cheapest, but what to put the money into? One important thing is not to be too cold or hot, as DH won't be able to break away from the group and change clothes. DH doesn't need to look super cool, but just credible and switched on, to not make anyone think of his age.

Which brands? What technicalities to look for? Is a light dawn jacket OK?

LIZS Sun 15-Feb-15 14:15:06

Down jackets are horrible in damp or blizzard conditions so avoid for skiing. A 3 in one or insulated waterproof , windproof and breathable outdoor jacket is fine. iirc Decathlon do longer length trousers. Their own brand stuff is fine, the French wear it a lot. Otherwise mid price such as The North Face, Columbia or Quiksilver jacket which could be mixed with plainer bottoms. TK Maxx sometimes stock Killtec which is really good value. If he fancies spending more try Schoeffel and Salomon.

specialsubject Sun 15-Feb-15 14:47:40

I'd suggest salopettes (trousers with braces) and a jacket. That covers the cold bit at the back.

never buy white; obviously very stupid to wear on a ski slope.

he won't look 'credible and switched on' as a near beginner, he'll be spending a lot of time on his arse. So don't worry about that.

also remind him that he is 20 years older and much more prone to injury. He needs to warm up properly and NEVER ski drunk.

Twinklestein Sun 15-Feb-15 16:49:21

Checkout Scandinavian brands if he's tall.

If you google Scandinavian ski brands multiple options will come up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: