Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Best all round clothes brand for 20somethings?

(11 Posts)
stinkingbishop Sun 15-Feb-15 12:48:55

My lovely DD1 is changing gender identity from male-to-female and her 21st is coming up. We've been buying the odd piece of clothing to help the transition, that are the sort of feminine side of androgynous - skinny jeans, floaty tops, scarves, layering, shearling boots, parka...

I want to give her vouchers for her birthday for somewhere she can stock up. Am a bit worried that, new as she is to the world of girls' clothing, I'm biasing her and she needs to find her own look that's appropriate for her age and not for a 40something (I'm Poetry/Wrap/Hush and she's beginning to look like mini me!)...I thought about ASOS but I thought she might be a bit bewildered by somewhere that has too much choice (she's AS too)...so either an actual bricks and mortar shop, or a catalogue to show her things put together.

Thank you! Post I didn't know I'd be writing a year ago wink.

chanie44 Sun 15-Feb-15 18:43:53

What about a personal shopper or stylist? They should help with looks from a range of shops.

Ahchoo Sun 15-Feb-15 18:50:50

Hi, I personally love h&m for basic things to build up a wardrobe - jeans, tops, accesories etc. But, what would you think of giving her a 'shopping day out' for her birthday, I.e. writing in her card 'a shopping trip to the value of £100' (or whatever you're going to spend) and then taking her for a nice mum and daughter day out mooching around the shops. It might be better for her to look round a variety of shops you see. And also you get to have a fun day out together. Might be an idea?

Other shops I like are Dorothy Perkins, topshop, next and warehouse. Zara can have nice pieces too but can be hit and miss.

Ahchoo Sun 15-Feb-15 18:52:26

Oh, I just thought of another idea, if you do want to get vouchers, what about somewhere like debenhams that has lots of different shops and brands within it.

Ahchoo Sun 15-Feb-15 18:55:05

Sorry, my third post, keep remembering things that might help lol..

I'm remember reading that asos have a personal stylist that you chat to and tell them your body shape, your colouring, what sort of occasion you want to shop for etc and they can put outfits together for you. And it was free if I remember rightly.

Artandco Sun 15-Feb-15 18:57:31

How about shoe voucher? Somewhere like Russell and Bromley, or Ugg. Both do decent leather boots and shoes which can go with many items of clothing but shoes can be expensive to replace. Decent boots now are £150-200 in most places

Or a voucher to Selfridges

readyforno2 Sun 15-Feb-15 18:59:51

I like Dorothy Perkins. Good quality but without a huge price tag.
A personal shopper might be a good idea too. Would love to do that..

GoofyIsACow Sun 15-Feb-15 19:04:32

I would say h&m too, great value and good all rounder, but i agree a personal shopper is a great idea

Cric Sun 15-Feb-15 19:11:10

When you buy vouchers over £50 in debenhams they start to add little extras like a cup of tea and cake .... They have personal stylists and my experience was really positive! I love warehouse for everything. I don't know where you are but most malls do vouchers for the stores within it?

stinkingbishop Sun 15-Feb-15 21:04:34

Thanks ladies. The personal shopper is v good idea. And shoes actually. Being born in the wrong body means she has size 9s so we've been having problems on that front!!!

Mrsteddyruxpin Sun 15-Feb-15 21:07:37

I love oasis but agree h&m or even primark to try out stuff - fast Fashion but why not

Best of luck in your journey together smile

I am not normally this cheesy but you know what I mean

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: