Advanced search

Fashion for Teenage boys? (Please could you help me help DS to fit in)

(51 Posts)
Tizwailor Fri 13-Feb-15 09:05:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jeee Fri 13-Feb-15 09:10:29

Depends so heavily on the school/area. You'll have to try and check out what the kids wear at your son's school. That said, I suspect Vans/Converses for footwear with a 'label' t-shirt and decent jeans will be fine wherever you are.

HolgerDanske Fri 13-Feb-15 09:12:00

Superdry is a fairly good bet. But yeah, it might be good to get some info from a friend's children as to what everyone wears? There will be very specific unspoken rules as to what is cool and what isn't.

iwantgin Fri 13-Feb-15 09:15:44

DS has always been happy in nice jeans and tshirts/hoodies.

Try Primark, H&M ?

ggirl Fri 13-Feb-15 09:20:57

my son wears these nikes

and has a pair of these

His 23 yr old sister buys him all his trendy stuff as i have no clue
he gets jeans from h&m or next , slim fit skinnies usually

t-shirts from anywhere
also has nice tartan shirts from next or h&m
loves his converse sweatshirt an adidas hoody

as for jacket , he really wants a super dry one ..but too £££ for me to indulge him and I'm looking elsewhere-he wears jacket from h&m thats too small for him atm

Tizwailor Fri 13-Feb-15 09:22:35

SoupDragon Fri 13-Feb-15 09:25:42

DSs seem to be happy with any brand of jeans (skinny or slim cut) and I invest in a branded hoody and a couple of t shirts to go with them. As long as one thing has an appropriate visible brand and the cheap stuff doesn't have a visible brand, they are happy!

I can't remember what sort of Nike trainers they have but both have Nike anyway. In the summer, DS1 chooses a pair of canvas shoes but doesn't seem fussed the brand. TK Maxx has been good for this in the past.

SoupDragon Fri 13-Feb-15 09:29:25

DS2 (13) seems unbothered by style but DS1 (16) seems to have more of an opinion. He has found stuff he likes in a shop called Blue Inc (they have a website too) and they do have some boys stuff as well as men's.

CiderwithBuda Fri 13-Feb-15 09:33:34

DS is a tall skinny 13 year old.

He likes Hollister - I tend to buy in the sale. A red Hollister hoody went down very well at xmas. Jack Wills also - also sale.

Next do a range for older boys that looks ok.

DS wears chinos usually - will only wear a tan/browny colour though. About to buy some jeans - I looked in Next menswear as DS is so tall - some of them were nice and soft which is always an issue with DS.

At xmas I got him a grey v-necked jumper in next which he has lived in witha plain white tshirt underneath. Bought him a navy one this week as he liked the grey one so much.

I got him a few nice t shirts and a nice shirt in Primark last summer so will be keeping an eye on there too.

For shoes he wear Vans. Converse seem popular too but he didn't get on with them so gave them to my niece.

SonorousBip Fri 13-Feb-15 09:35:44

My DS is 13 and I always think he looks "nice but indistinguishable from any other 13 year old boy", which I think is the look you are aiming for grin.

Jeans and/or coloured chinos - check. I would say definitely a bit of layering - t shirt underneath a checked or tartan-y shirt. We like uniqlo heat tech t shirts as they are close fitting, not bulky. Deffo need a few hoodies in plain colours - black, brown, navy. I'd steer away from anything branded as that is a bit of a minefield - nothing more annoying than something expensive going "off trend" two weeks after you have bought it. I think un-branded is more fashionable than the wrong brand.

If you have one near you, H&M is definitely your friend here. It varies a bit as to what is in but you can reliably walk in at any time a buy a couple of outfits which both you and yr DS would be happy with.

YY to vans or Nike skater shoes.

When you are ready for more advanced stuff ... DS sometimes sports 3 or 4 bracelets (I think you have to have two or more) of the rope/leather type - slightly grunge-y looking. He also often wears a buff (you know those neck things) or a scarf.

I was down at his school on a mufti day recenly and can guarantee about 95% of the boys were dressed like this grin.

Tizwailor Fri 13-Feb-15 09:52:27

Tizwailor Fri 13-Feb-15 09:54:15

Clarabella23 Fri 13-Feb-15 10:15:13

If he likes joggers, these skinny joggers are worth a try. They are the same as the mens version. I work in a store, and we have a constant stream of 12 - 25 year olds coming in and asking for skinny joggers!

Tizwailor Fri 13-Feb-15 11:12:55

Tizwailor Fri 13-Feb-15 11:13:13

wigglybeezer Fri 13-Feb-15 11:40:43

I have this problem with DS2, who has Aspergers. He is tall, slim and attractive but is actively against " fashion". He loves his school blazer, worn buttoned up, and his favourite colour is khaki, he would dress like a young Ray Mears given the chance! I buy him trendy coats, which he then wears with his blazer hanging down and ensure he has an acceptable haircut, which he flattens down over his forehead. His usual weekday at home outfit is his school uniform ( including blazer) with his fleecy dressing gown on top!

His wardrobe is hand me downs from cool brother + Superdry jacket + Primark + H&M sale rail + branded trainers from discount sport shop. he costs me a lot less than his fussy brothers.

Ujjayi Fri 13-Feb-15 12:03:55

My eldest DS has Asperger's & is sensitive to the feel of clothes. He loathes the feeling of jeans but is very happy in soft chinos. Boden is not "cool" but the lining of the waistband on their chinos is lovely & soft & you cannot tell the difference between the cut of these & a high street pair. Tees come from H&M & Topman & Gap. Gap is good for long sleeve tees - he has some waffle type fabric ones that are a sweatshirt/tee hybrid.

Hoodies - DC, Quiksilver (often found in TKMaxx). Again, soft & cosy. So many hoodies tend towards being scratchy.

Footwear - Converse, Vans etc.

Ujjayi Fri 13-Feb-15 12:07:00

If you do try Boden - look at their Johnnie B range & check out their clearance section. You will often find say tan chinos for £15 in that section whereas the new season stock in the same shade will be £30 (yeah I don't understand that either grin)

Tizwailor Fri 13-Feb-15 12:18:55

wigglybeezer Fri 13-Feb-15 13:07:14

Oh yes, we have long sleeved t- shirts from Gap too, very soft, DS2 had to have a big skin graft on his arm and likes to cover it up for protection.

luckily he isn't 't too bothered about collars and waistbands being scratchy.

Maverick66 Fri 13-Feb-15 14:08:44

Hi OP my 15 year old loves. Hollister(I buy in sale) their T shirts are great quality as are their jeans. He likes ADIDAS gazelle for footwear he has the blue in them. Anything from River Island smile

Tizwailor Fri 13-Feb-15 14:22:43

Stinkle Fri 13-Feb-15 15:26:53

Depends on the area, round here Hollister is a massive no-no.

It's Jack Wills and Animal/Rip Curl/Quicksilver surfy type brands (we live by the coast so they're all surf wannabes)

I don't have boys, but friends with teenage boys swear by H&M for cheap basics

Nike Air Max is the footwear of choice.

TK Maxx for Super Dry.

They also seem to wear some printed/slogan t-shirts from, I think, BlueInc (my brother had one with Sex Drug and Sausage Rolls on years ago)

My DD has a few sensory issues, she loves Animal hoodies as they're quite soft

Hi-gear is a no no here

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Fri 13-Feb-15 15:30:38

My boys live in skinny jeans, t-shirts with their favorite bands on, flannel shirts or hoodies and vans/converse.

The benefit of flannel shirts if there are any sensory issues is they can feel really soft and snuggly.

wigfieldrocks Fri 13-Feb-15 16:11:18

I have a ds this age and I would honestly advise avoiding boden or next - I know my son and his friends would find them seriously uncool (he describes them as the 'kind of thing your mum likes you to wear'!. I second H & M, jack Wills, superdry and some sporty labels like Nike are apparently acceptable. Can't go wrong with Vans - they all have those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now