Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Mother of Bride!!

(10 Posts)
CitrusSun Thu 12-Feb-15 13:58:49

Please help with any suggestions, I'd be so grateful! Daughter marrying in the summer, I'm 53, 5'7", 2 stone overweight although pounding it out at the gym currently! I have no clue what I should be looking for, hate being looked at anyway, but realise I need to be in photos, smiling and talking to people, etc, so please save me from the lilac top and pleated skirt ensemble nightmare, with white tights and sandals! I know so many of you have great taste so any suggestions would be hugely welcome.

FauxFox Thu 12-Feb-15 14:28:33

phase 8 has a mother-of-the-bride section with dresses/jackets/boleros etc in a matching palette that might be a good start if you are not confident on shopping.

Or have a browse at the pretty dress company the 'hourglass' is a lovely flattering shape and comes in lots of patterns/colours and with or without sleeves options.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 12-Feb-15 14:49:51

HERE some very old fashioned but some are nice
Debenhams have a section as well pretty un-inspiring though
same with John Lewis
EBAY as well have a look on there, never quite sure of quality though!
some are frumpy but others nice again!
liking this, classy?
and this

Superworm Thu 12-Feb-15 15:02:46

I guess you want the wedding outfit to fit in with their day. What kind if wedding are they having?

hellsbellsmelons Thu 12-Feb-15 15:23:17

Having looked on line at reviews regarding Dylan Queen not so sure!
Never seen such a mixed bag before. 100+ 5* but then 70+ 1* and very little in between - weird!
COAST have lovely dresses though and plenty to choose from.

DragonfliesDrawFlame Thu 12-Feb-15 15:44:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DragonfliesDrawFlame Thu 12-Feb-15 15:45:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KristinaM Thu 12-Feb-15 15:56:07

Good luck with the weight loss

If you see an outfit that you really REALLY love, then buy it now. Don't wait until you are your target size in case it's sold out . Most outfits are much easier to take in than let out

I was MOB last year and wore a very plain red ted baker dress and an outrageous hat , as coast /phase eight isn't my style

I also tried the personal shopper at House of Fraser and John Lewis . It's worth a try as its free and you are under no obligation to buy. If you phone and ask when the new season stock come in they will tell you the best time to make an appoinment , I woudl guess early March .

I got on better telling sales assistants that I wanted an outfit as a guest, when I said MOB I git offered floral or pastel chiffon

squoosh Thu 12-Feb-15 16:07:41

My mother wore a trouser suit to my brother's wedding and looked much more elegant (in my v biased opinion) than the mother of the bride who went down the obvious mother of the bride route.

CitrusSun Thu 12-Feb-15 16:12:18

Wow, I knew you lot were good but you've blown me away, thank you so much!!
Wedding is in a barn with lovely surroundings so hoping for sun so everyone can spill out and sit on hay bales!!
Thank you again, you're really inspired me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: