Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Clear Winters?

(6 Posts)
itsaysonthetin Wed 11-Feb-15 22:16:11

I don't understand colour analysis. I can pretty much convince myself I'm any of the categories other than autumn or spring (which probably means I'll eventually end up being told I'm exactly that one day...)

But after some botch testing, I honestly think my best colours are from the clear winter range. Even my partner told me I looked amazing in a fuschia jumper a while back and he never, ever gives compliments.

But I don't have really dark hair which throws me, as most of the examples tend to.

Has anyone been told they are a clear winter - seen the difference themselves - and been really surprised by it?

Greengardenpixie Thu 12-Feb-15 00:05:30

No help from me either. I dont really get it. Someone said i was a cool winter. Is that the same as a clear winter? I have dark hair and pale olive skin with hazel eyes. I tend to look awful in most autumn colours.

SorrelForbes Thu 12-Feb-15 09:17:57

Pop over to the long running Winter Thread.

Winter colours are Cool, clear, bright, vivid, icy and have high contrast.

itsaysonthetin Thu 12-Feb-15 11:54:15

Thanks Sorrel - I'll go and take a look.

I guess I was confused because I have a bit of gold in my medium brown hair, and thought that wasn't possible for a winter.

Greengarden - I think a cool winter can do cold bright colours, and a clear winter can do slightly warmer bright colours? God knows. I know I look inexplicably good in bright canary yellow, and fucking awful in any colour which is "muddy" or "powdery".

SorrelForbes Thu 12-Feb-15 13:25:32

Hair and eye colour don't really feature in the analysis, it's all done on skin tone.

I'm only basing this on the House of Colour rules (which work brilliantly for me) but Winter colours shouldn't have any warmth in them at all.

All Winters are 'cool' (and I don't mean in a Fonz way!)

QueenCardigan Thu 12-Feb-15 14:01:12

You don't have to be dark to be a winter. I'm blonde but a fairly cool blonde rather than golden. Clear winter from my understanding is the brighter colours from the winter palette as opposed to the darker ones which would make you a cool/ true winter.

If you suit bright yellow though you may well be a bright spring...?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: