Advanced search

I would adora fedora!

(29 Posts)
CointreauVersial Wed 11-Feb-15 18:35:43

I quite fancy buying a fedora, or similar felt hat with a brim.... I've never been a hat person, but now my hair is longer I think it might look quite good.

Of course, now it's Spring (apparently) there don't seem to be any in the shops. I don't want to spend a fortune, as it's a bit of a "whim", so does anyone have any recommendations?

CointreauVersial Wed 11-Feb-15 21:15:47

squiz81 Wed 11-Feb-15 22:07:49

Not a shop I usually go in, but I spotted one in peacocks for about £12 and its actually really nice. I didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't wear it.

I actually haven't worn it....not helped by the following conversation with dh
Me "is it cold enough to wear my new hat."
Dh "it will never be cold enough to wear that hat"

What does he know, Pah!

Bue Thu 12-Feb-15 11:23:52

My sister has a felt fedora from Whistles. It's beautiful but I hate it grin My sister is mega stylish and can pull off just about anything, but I honestly think it makes her look like Elphaba from Wicked...

burnishedsilver Thu 12-Feb-15 11:30:52

My sil wears one. She can't pull it off, despite being very stylish. It really stands out as looking like she's trying too hard. My 80 year old father has one and it suits him well. He looks very dapper :-)

MsBojangles Thu 12-Feb-15 12:08:19

I've got one but from certain angles look a bit Freddy Krueger. Don't wear it often as you can imagine.

ChablisChic Thu 12-Feb-15 12:41:39

Topshop had some at the weekend. I'd love one, but I have short hair and a small head, and they always just come right down over my ears and look stupid!

CointreauVersial Thu 12-Feb-15 12:52:25

Hmm...not a ringing endorsement, then....

Bue - is she green? wink

Coincidentally, Not Dressed As Lamb did a post on hats yesterday. I like hers.

After a bit of searching I found some online at Dotty P's - not too expensive, so worth a punt. Prepare for a massive heatwave to hit the UK, rendering all headgear redundant for another eight months.....

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 12-Feb-15 13:52:58

Do you mean a fedora or a trilby? I love hats and wear them loads, rarely leave the house without one, and ALWAYS get compliments on them (to all you hat haters up there), I have this one from Planet, now a bargainous £10 in the sale, it's beautiful quality, looks great and not too osententatious if you're feeling a bit nervous about adopting head-wear.

Also check out Christys', they have some beauts, I'm particularly fond of my panama from there.

I think worn with the right outfit (and there's a hat for every outfit, believe me), hats can look extremely stylish, especially if you're fairly streamlined in the rest of your dressing, plus are a definite bonus on bad hair days.

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 12-Feb-15 13:57:59

Head wear is essentail all year round, you just need a decent Panama, I have the one linked but with a blue ribbon trim, it is tres lovely.

superbfairywren Thu 12-Feb-15 16:53:30

Saw one in primary today for 8quid, looked quite good for the money actually, nearly bought it myself!

Greengardenpixie Thu 12-Feb-15 17:05:54

Personally, I think they look like people are trying to hard to look hip or cool. There is a lady at work that wears one when she comes in and i think wtf!!!??? Personally, i think it looks silly.

AmberNectarine Thu 12-Feb-15 17:09:34

I just bought a bright pink wool trilby from TK Maxx. £7.99. I LOVE it.

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 12-Feb-15 18:54:23

I don't see how all hats look silly Green, as with anything it depends how you wear it, leave the hat wearers alone, it makes us happy, and why would you have such a strong dislike for the woman at work's? It's not as though she's rocking up in a see-through body suit.

I think you're jealous of our verve and style.

Greengardenpixie Thu 12-Feb-15 19:10:51

I didnt say that all hats look silly!! I said that a fedora looks contrived imo. It is just my opinion so im sure everyone will feel free to do as they please! I do actually like hats. I like woolly ones and some straw hats, summer hats. I just think that this type of hat reminds me of gangsters or old men!

Greengardenpixie Thu 12-Feb-15 19:12:23

*I think it looks silly because it looks contrived. I dont care about the woman in work. Im just saying what i think when i see her wear it!

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 12-Feb-15 19:13:16

Ah, fair enough then Green, I draw the line at flat caps myself.

Greengardenpixie Thu 12-Feb-15 19:17:13

Well variety is the spice of life. Where would we be if we all like the same things. Im sure there are many things other people say wtf when they look at me!!!!

burnishedsilver Thu 12-Feb-15 19:21:33

Theres a man that I see around from time to time that always wears a canadian mountie hat. It looks very out of place.

BallroomWithNoBalls Thu 12-Feb-15 19:27:01

I was admiring a navy viscose shirtdress in New Look earlier (didn't buy as I detest viscose for shrinking and ironing) and it was on the model in the window paired with a light brown fedora, looked fab. Actually it was a bit more floppy than a fedora, I'm not au fait with hat terminology but I'm all for them if you can pull them off.

CointreauVersial Fri 13-Feb-15 00:09:54

Nice hat, Hound, but it's definitely a fedora I'm after. Bigger brim.

Trilby hats remind me of Madness/Two Tone. <shows age>

I dunno, maybe it will look a bit "contrived". This is why I don't want to spend too much.

Hazchem Fri 13-Feb-15 01:53:33

Where hats! They are great they keep you warm in winter and save your face from burning in summer. They are totally practical and when you have the right one for the outfit they just look fantastic.

gerbiltamer Fri 13-Feb-15 17:14:39

I have a trilby, a pork-pie hat and another round one, all of which I wear on a regular basis. They were all about £12 from H&M and one was in the sale for a bargainous £4.

Oldraver Fri 13-Feb-15 22:59:52

The Christy hats are lovely I am biased as I worked for them for a short while

They have a couple of factory sales each year and greatly discounted prices

CointreauVersial Wed 18-Feb-15 00:06:55

Well, I found a fairly inexpensive one in H&M and bit the bullet - I now have a lovely hat! DCs remain unconvinced, but DH really liked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now