Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Eternity ring - my birthstone or baby's?! Tanzanite or ruby? Which to go for

(9 Posts)
dottytablecloth Wed 11-Feb-15 05:53:08

I'm sure this is really personal choice but am asking anyway as I can't decide!

Does it matter even?!

My birthstone is ruby and baby's is tanzanite.

I really love tanzanite but of all the rings I've looked at the ones with rubies are a nicer style so it makes it harder to decide!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 11-Feb-15 06:12:35

Most independent jewellers should be able to source the stones and custom make.something - it's really not as expensive as you might expect.

Then you could go down the route of Tanzanian with the setting you want? In my opinion it would he a bit strange hacking your birthstone if you're going down the first child/eternity ring route.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 11-Feb-15 06:13:24

Gah, excuse weird phone typos!

ForSaleChesterDraws Wed 11-Feb-15 06:47:54

If it's for everyday wear I wouldn't recommend tanzanite. It's quite a soft stone and gets damaged. I think ruby isn't that great for everyday wear either.

18yearstooold Wed 11-Feb-15 06:48:12

I thought they were supposed to be diamonds?

dottytablecloth Wed 11-Feb-15 08:22:18

The ones I liked were a mixture of tanzanite and diamond and ruby and diamond!

Yes, they'd be for everyday wear so maybe I'll need to rethink.

burnishedsilver Wed 11-Feb-15 08:40:21

If you want to go the birthstone route go with your own. You'll only have 1 eternity ring but there might be more babies down the line who are wondering why you chose the birthstone of one and not the others.

dottytablecloth Wed 11-Feb-15 09:43:53

This is the ring I liked in ruby and diamond.

I've been dithering over an eternity ring since I had my first child (now have two) as I really can't decide!

Don't want to make a mistake!

daughterofliz Wed 11-Feb-15 16:52:40

I personally prefer the colour of tanzanite but it probably depends a lot on your own colouring and the colours of clothes you mostly wear.

The ring you showed is is a lovely setting, although I think it would look even better if the back was also white gold to match the front. I think it would look just as good with either stone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: