Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

any nice Breton tops out there?

(20 Posts)
whataboutbob Tue 10-Feb-15 17:24:16

I am looking for a specific colour (red) and ideally a thicker cotton. I thought Boden but lately have been disappointed with the quality. Years ago I had a great one, an old St Michael's one in a rich red colour and thick cotton (from before M&S started dumbing down).
I have looked at petit bateau's website but was a bit shocked at the prices (£58). Any suggestions?

ClaraDeLaNoche Tue 10-Feb-15 22:16:01

I've had the Petit Bateau for three years and it is fab, thick good quality cotton. I have binned plenty of other cheapo tops since. Size up though, it's petite. smile

whataboutbob Wed 11-Feb-15 08:51:57

Thanks Clara I will check PB out. i am a fan of their plain T shirts and even go to a factory shop near Lille when i am in France (bargainous!). But not planning any trips so will go to a London shop.

PinkElephants79 Wed 11-Feb-15 08:55:41

I recently bought a really nice one from uniqlo - thick cotton and only £12! They have it in a range of colours too: www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/136276?r=2570016531925492534

tak1ngchances Wed 11-Feb-15 08:57:45

Was about to say Uniqlo too...

Brookville Wed 11-Feb-15 09:06:11

armor lux. I have one and the cotton is lovely. Never tumble dry it though and stretch the arms after washing!

Sallyfreckles Mon 16-Feb-15 08:37:50

I've got two lovely ones from Joules. Nice and thick with a "boxy" look, which I think is similar to the PB ones (too expensive for me too!)

Bananahead1 Mon 16-Feb-15 15:28:14

Yes agree with previous posters. Uniqlo do a lovely red one.

Bananahead1 Mon 16-Feb-15 15:31:07

Meant to add I can't see the red striped top online but they definitely have it in store as I have bought one.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 16-Feb-15 15:48:37

I got this one from J crew recently and love it.

I found the armor lux and PB ones a little too boxy for me although lovely quality.

domesticslattern Mon 16-Feb-15 16:52:55

Nice thick ones in Cos.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Mon 16-Feb-15 17:28:57

Sea salt Breton tops are lovely, not sure they do red, though.

whataboutbob Mon 16-Feb-15 17:52:12

Thanks everyone! Lots of breton top fans out there. Well i got over to Petit Bateau and they had a red one in the sales so I snapped it up. it is very thick cotton with asymetrical stripes down the side (quite flattering to hide belly bulge). Really a winter top and great for a weekend. I'll also check out Uniqlo which will probably be more suitable for spring summer.

lurkingaround Mon 16-Feb-15 19:46:51

Hijack alert!! Advance apologies

MrsCB! Ooh. Have been looking at your stripey top for weeks. I know I've missed the 20% discount fashion dithered supreme but i would consider full price (eek) if it is really lovely irl. And how's the sizing?

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 16-Feb-15 19:50:42

The sizing is typical generous j crew. I've got the xs and it is perfect. The red is also a really nice red and the neck sits very nicely.

It is quite short in the body would be my one proviso though - I'm short so that is fine for me.

The navy stripe is also lovely! If you go through quidco you do get some cashback and I reckon they must start the 'thankme' discount again soon.

lurkingaround Mon 16-Feb-15 20:47:44

Thank you MrsCB!

I am long of body so it may not suit but I really like it so definitely worth a shot now. Will I play discount chicken?
Yy, navy one lovely too.

SpaghettiMeatballs Mon 16-Feb-15 21:49:29

Anyone got any recommendations for longer tops in the thicker cotton please?

Boden, J crew and Uniqlo are all too short of me and end at the extremely unflattering point of my jeans waistband.

Gap Tall are the perfect length on me but they are using that dreadful pyjama thin fabric these days.

mrsrhodgilbert Mon 16-Feb-15 22:40:02

Saint James at The Nautical Comany do a lovely thick red/cream stripe. Thicker than t shirt but not quite sweatshirt material. It's a good length too.

whataboutbob Tue 17-Feb-15 13:22:31

Lurking you're not hijacking, just extending the conversation! Good forum etiquette though!

lurkingaround Tue 17-Feb-15 16:54:10

smile Thanks whataboutbob

Am itching to order the top...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: